opencores.org - Question on project licensing?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Pacbell User, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. Pacbell User

    Pacbell User Guest

    I would like to contribute a multi-cycle (slow, but area-compact)
    (Hehe, someone else already released a pipelined integer-divider,
    to the opencores.org repository. Gence I'm marketing my divider as
    'compact'!)
    I am reading through the FAQ, and one part has me a bit confused...

    ===

    The 'licensing' portion -- I understand that the 'GPL' license
    is fairly restrictive in that it forces derivative works to be
    distributed in documented *AND* modifiable form.

    My goal is to let *anyone* use my integer-divider as they see
    fit. If they want to use it in a closed commercial project, that's
    fine. It seems like a GPL-release cannot be used in a closed
    project, is that correct?

    So under which license should I release my divider? LGPL, BSD, etc.?!?

    Also, is Xilinx Webpack 5.1ISE the final version that will run
    under Win98se (no flames please)? The newer versions refuse to install.

    Pacbell User, Aug 4, 2003

  2. Pacbell User

    Antti Lukats Guest

    "Pacbell User" <dont_reply@dont_reply.com> wrote in message news:<sSgXa.472$>...
    > I would like to contribute a multi-cycle (slow, but area-compact)
    > (Hehe, someone else already released a pipelined integer-divider,
    > to the opencores.org repository. Gence I'm marketing my divider as'compact'!)
    > I am reading through the FAQ, and one part has me a bit confused...

    could I have a sneak preview of your divider ?
    (I want violate the license, whatever you will choose later)

    and you are right about licensing (that is confusing)
    GPL is what people think 'free' but in some way its more restrictive than
    commercial licenses.

    antti

    Antti Lukats, Aug 4, 2003

  3. BSD licencense is popular, but the original had some problems see:
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html
    So get a copy of the 'new' version or state it like suggested 'revised BSD
    license'.
    Martin

    JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs now
    on Cyclone: http://www.jopdesign.com/cyclone/

    Martin Schoeberl, Aug 4, 2003
  4. Pacbell User

    Rob Judd Guest

    Martin,

    Copyright? Copyleft? Hey, if I do an I-Q converter, can I use
    CopyOrthogonal?

    Rob (at 90 degrees to reality)

    Rob Judd, Aug 4, 2003
  5. Rob,

    > Copyright? Copyleft? Hey, if I do an I-Q converter, can I use
    > CopyOrthogonal?

    I didn't invent these words and I find them also strange ;-)

    Martin

    Martin Schoeberl, Aug 4, 2003
  6. "Pacbell User" <dont_reply@dont_reply.com> wrote in message news:<sSgXa.472$>...
    > I would like to contribute a multi-cycle (slow, but area-compact)
    > (Hehe, someone else already released a pipelined integer-divider,
    > to the opencores.org repository. Gence I'm marketing my divider as
    > 'compact'!)
    > I am reading through the FAQ, and one part has me a bit confused...
    >
    > ===
    >
    > The 'licensing' portion -- I understand that the 'GPL' license
    > is fairly restrictive in that it forces derivative works to be
    > distributed in documented *AND* modifiable form.
    >
    > My goal is to let *anyone* use my integer-divider as they see
    > fit. If they want to use it in a closed commercial project, that's
    > fine. It seems like a GPL-release cannot be used in a closed
    > project, is that correct?
    >
    > So under which license should I release my divider? LGPL, BSD, etc.?!?

    Look at some other IP cores (perhaps some of mine) at
    OpenCores. I faced the same problem that you are facing,
    I wanted to protect myself but not limit the usage of
    any of my IP cores. So I created my own "license". It's
    on top of each of my files ...

    Best Regards,
    rudi
    www.asics.ws --- Solutions for your ASIC/FPGA needs ---
    ----------------- FPGAs * Full Custom ICs * IP Cores ---
    FREE IP Cores --> http://www.asics.ws/ <-- FREE IP Cores

    Rudolf Usselmann, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Pacbell User

    Jon Masters Guest

    Pacbell User wrote:

    > The 'licensing' portion -- I understand that the 'GPL' license
    > is fairly restrictive in that it forces derivative works to be
    > distributed in documented *AND* modifiable form.

    LGPL will not really help you here and I am not really sure how you
    would apply it to a hardware design in any case. Can you LGPL license
    hardware designs and treat the situation is if you were linking against
    a library thus being ok with binary distribution? Does that really work?

    I personally prefer the GPL over most other licenses however in this
    case either having no license or a BSD style one will probably suffice.

    Jon.

    Jon Masters, Aug 4, 2003