OpenDSObject failed

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Fie Fie Niles, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. When I used GetObject to authenticate LDAP, it returns "authentication
    success" when my client enter the following values for sPath. :

    sPath = "LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com"

    sPath = "LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com/jsmith"

    sPath = "LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com:389/O=PORTAL"

    It also returns "authentication success" when my client enter a user name
    that does not exist (for ex: UserNotExist)

    sPath = LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com/UserNotExist" --> returns
    "authentication success"

    (LDAP://ldap.unibanvirtual.com:389/O=PORTAL)

    But, when my client enters the following values for sPath, they got an error
    "error type: (0x80072032)", even though this organization (o=uniba,ou=medel)
    exists, and they are needed by some users to be able to work with IBM
    Portal.
    Set openDS = GetObject("LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com:389/O=UNIBA/jsmith")
    Set openDS =
    GetObject("LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com:389/OU=MEDEL,O=UNIBA/jsmith")
    Set openDS = GetObject("LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com:389/O=UNIBA")
    Set openDS = GetObject("LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com:389/OU=MEDEL,O=UNIBA")

    These are the codes for the GetObject:
    On Error Resume Next

    Set openDS = GetObject(sPath)

    if err.number = 0 then

    Response.Write "authentication success"

    Response.Write "Object Name: " & x.Name

    Response.Write "Object Path: " & x.ADsPath

    else

    response.write err.number & ":" & err.description

    end if

    When I use the OpenDSObject method, with flags (4th parameter in
    OpenDSObject set to 0), no matter what values my client enter for strADsPath
    and strUserName, they got an error

    "Failed to bound to object LDAP://Portal

    Error number is -2147016646" -->> this error is "the server is not
    operational"

    They tried the following values for strADsPath and strUserName:

    strADsPath = "LDAP://ldap.univirtual.com"

    strADsPath = "LDAP://portal"

    strUserName = "ldap.univirtual.com\jsmith"

    strUserName = "cn=jsmith,ou=medel,o=uniba,dc=ldap.univirtual.com,dc=com"

    strUserName = "cn=jsmith,o=portal,dc=ldap.univirtual.com,dc=com"

    strUserName = "cn=jsmith,o=portal"

    iFlags = 0

    Why can I connect using GetObject but not OpenDSObject in this case ? What
    can I do to fix this problem ?

    Thank you very much.

    These are the codes for the OpenDSObject:
    Dim oADsObject

    Set oADsObject = GetObject(strADsPath)

    strADsNamespace = left(strADsPath, instr(strADsPath, ":"))

    set oADsNamespace = GetObject(strADsNamespace)

    Set oADsObject = oADsNamespace.OpenDSObject(strADsPath, strUserName,
    strPassword, cint(iFlags))

    if not (Err.number = 0) then

    Response.Write "Failed to bind to object " & strADsPath
    response.write err.description & " Error number is " & err.number
    else

    Response.Write "USER AUTHENTICATED!"

    Response.Write "Currently viewing object at " & oADsObject.ADsPath

    end if

    The following is my client's configuration:
    · Windows 2000 Server (SP4).
    · Lotus Domino v6.5.1 (using the LDAP Service of this product, this
    is compatible with version 3.0).
    · Port 389.
    · Our LDAP manages unique Users and Groups.
    · In this moments the LDAP is used by three servers of IBM
    Websphere. Each one have configured one conection to the LDAP through the
    settings of this products (is native in the Websphere program).
    · In the Lotus Domino server has two Domino Directory databases, one
    is the directory of the company and the other is the directory of producers.
    Each one has a different OU and O.

    For example:
    For the company directory the OU and O is: OU=MEDEL,O=UNIBA /
    OU=URA,O=UNIBA / OU=SANTA,O=UNIBA
    For the producers directory, has not OU. The O is: O=PORTAL

    Fie Fie Niles, Aug 23, 2004