OpenGL 2.1 API xml crap ? :(

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Skybuck Flying, Feb 13, 2010.

  1. I downloaded the opengl 2.1 api reference from the web from this link:

    http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/

    And then when I try to open it in windows/internet explorer on local drive I
    get this crap:

    "
    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
    click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    System error: -2146697211. Error processing resource
    'xhtml1-transitional.dtd'. Error processing resource 'file:///D:/Open...
    "xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    "

    Pretty much all files are *.xml ?!?

    WTF ?! What's wrong ?!

    It would be nice if I had the OpenGL 2.1 API Reference on my harddisk for
    future reference in case the web/internet ever goes down, or in the far
    future when it might have become obsolete ?!?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 13, 2010

  2. Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > I downloaded the opengl 2.1 api reference from the web from this link:
    >
    > http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/
    >
    > And then when I try to open it in windows/internet explorer on local drive I
    > get this crap:
    >
    > "
    > The XML page cannot be displayed
    > Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then
    > click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    >

    > System error: -2146697211. Error processing resource
    > 'xhtml1-transitional.dtd'. Error processing resource 'file:///D:/Open...
    > "xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    > "
    >
    > Pretty much all files are *.xml ?!?
    >
    > WTF ?! What's wrong ?!
    >
    > It would be nice if I had the OpenGL 2.1 API Reference on my harddisk for
    > future reference in case the web/internet ever goes down, or in the far
    > future when it might have become obsolete ?!?

    Did you read the Browser Compatibility section on that page? Looking at
    you header it looks like you might be using IE6 which with MathML is a
    no-go! Download Firefox if you want to view the manual....

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 13, 2010

  3. I am using IE8 for godssake ! ;) :)

    What's wrong with using HTML for the documentation ?! ;)

    Would be nice to have some HTML version too !

    Ah me dreams of HTML version ! ;) :)

    (For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it and
    see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell it's all about
    and ofcourse no time ! :))

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;)

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 13, 2010
  4. Skybuck Flying

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 12 Feb 2010, "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote:

    > I am using IE8 for godssake ! ;) :)

    Doesn't matter. As JL said, try ff.

    > What's wrong with using HTML for the documentation ?! ;)
    >
    > Would be nice to have some HTML version too !
    >
    > Ah me dreams of HTML version ! ;) :)
    >
    > (For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it
    > and see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell
    > it's all about and ofcourse no time ! :))

    If you have no time, get an audio version of the manual and listen to
    it in the bathroom...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/

    Neredbojias, Feb 13, 2010
  5. Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > I am using IE8 for godssake ! ;) :)
    >
    > What's wrong with using HTML for the documentation ?! ;)
    >
    > Would be nice to have some HTML version too !
    >
    > Ah me dreams of HTML version ! ;) :)

    Hence why some of us here in alt.html rail against XHTML. It this case
    the manual utilizes MathML for the formulas so it is one of the few
    cases where XHTML makes sense. But then there is IE, 8 is better but is
    still a pain for web developers, a better pain like the deference
    between a jab in the ribs and being hit by a truck...

    > (For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it and
    > see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell it's all about
    > and ofcourse no time ! :))

    Or you could just download a *better* browser! You do not *have* to use IE.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 13, 2010
  6. Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > (For now I have the xml version... I could write an xml parser for it and
    > see if that helps... but for now I have no idea what the hell it's all
    > about and ofcourse no time ! :))

    You don't have to, XSLT processors exist:

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=xslt processor

    Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Draxinger, Feb 13, 2010
  7. Doesn't make much sense to me...

    IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...

    When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?

    How come ?!?

    Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 13, 2010
  8. FireFox is a security risk... there could be trojans in there... and then
    who you sue ? ;)

    If microsoft puts a trojan in firefox all hell will break loose ?! ;)

    So I trust IE8 more than FireFox ! LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) :)

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 13, 2010
  9. Skybuck Flying wrote:
    > Doesn't make much sense to me...
    >
    > IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...
    >
    > When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?
    >
    > How come ?!?
    >
    > Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

    WAG, depends on how you downloaded your local copy, plus a local copy is
    not server via a webserver which can cause problems with documents that
    require server-side processing.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 13, 2010
  10. Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > How come ?!?

    Server side preprocessing of the XML.

    > Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

    Given a browser with real support for XML/XSLT you could browse the xml
    files locally just fine. Firefox is such a browser. Internet Explorer sucks
    big time anyway, not *properly* supporting things like SVG, XML and such up
    until today.

    Wolfgang
    --
    OpenGL tip #42:
    How to exactly map texture texels to screen pixels:

    Wolfgang Draxinger, Feb 13, 2010
  11. Skybuck Flying

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <cb915$4b76d473$d53371df$1.nb.home.nl>, "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote:
    >FireFox is a security risk... there could be trojans in there... and then
    >who you sue ? ;)

    It's open source. If there were any trojans, they would have been discovered
    and publicized long ago.

    >If microsoft puts a trojan in firefox all hell will break loose ?! ;)

    Since Firefox is not a Microsoft product, that's, ummm, pretty unlikely.

    >So I trust IE8 more than FireFox ! LOL.

    Then you're a fool.

    Doug Miller, Feb 13, 2010
  12. Doug Miller wrote:
    > In article<cb915$4b76d473$d53371df$1.nb.home.nl>, "Skybuck Flying"<> wrote:
    >> FireFox is a security risk... there could be trojans in there... and then
    >> who you sue ? ;)

    > It's open source. If there were any trojans, they would have been discovered
    > and publicized long ago.
    >>
    >> If microsoft puts a trojan in firefox all hell will break loose ?! ;)

    > Since Firefox is not a Microsoft product, that's, ummm, pretty unlikely.
    >>
    >> So I trust IE8 more than FireFox ! LOL.

    > Then you're a fool.

    More likely trolling.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 13, 2010
  13. The OpenGL website also wants me to install some weird Microsoft XHTML
    thingy ?!?

    Weird ! What the hell is all that stuff ?! ;)

    (I refuse to install it because IE8 says it might be dangerous.)

    To be exact:

    MSXML 3.0 SP10 ?!?!?!? (AddOn)

    What the hell is that all about ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 14, 2010
  14. Skybuck Flying

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <a397a$4b76d40d$d53371df$1.nb.home.nl>, "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote:
    >Doesn't make much sense to me...
    >
    >IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...
    >
    >When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?
    >
    >How come ?!?

    Server-side preprocessing that isn't occurring when you view it locally would
    be the most obvious explanation.

    >Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

    Since you [apparently] don't use anything but IE, you would know this how??

    Get a better browser, such as Firefox, or Opera, or Chrome, or Safari, or,
    basically, anything but IE.

    Or devote your time instead to something you find a little easier to
    understand. Consider taking up knitting as a hobby.

    Doug Miller, Feb 14, 2010
  15. Skybuck Flying

    Pulse Guest

    LOL. Open source. As if in the mind boggling millions of lines of code
    something couldn't be slipped in - or many things. And if one's discovered?
    Oh that's just a bug - we'll issue a patch for you.

    BTW, have a look at http://www.mozilla.org now - they're boldly displaying
    the red star. They are (red) communists - and open about - have been since
    they took over years ago. If you trust them so much fine, I don't
    particularly.

    Pulse, Feb 14, 2010
  16. "Ed Mullen" <> wrote in message
    > Skybuck Flying wrote:
    >> The OpenGL website also wants me to install some weird Microsoft XHTML
    >> thingy ?!?
    >>
    >> Weird ! What the hell is all that stuff ?! ;)
    >>

    > What in God's name are you doing screwing around with this stuff if you
    > can't even figure this out? Oh. I forgot. Troll.

    What the hell are they doing using all that crap for their docs ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) :)

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 14, 2010
  17. "Doug Miller" <> wrote in message
    > In article <a397a$4b76d40d$d53371df$1.nb.home.nl>,
    > "Skybuck Flying" <> wrote:
    >>Doesn't make much sense to me...
    >>
    >>IE8 works just fine when browsing the same files online...
    >>
    >>When browsing offline it doesn't work anymore ?!?
    >>
    >>How come ?!?

    > Server-side preprocessing that isn't occurring when you view it locally
    > would
    > be the most obvious explanation.
    >>
    >>Doesn't seem to have anything to do with browser choice...

    > Since you [apparently] don't use anything but IE, you would know this
    > how??
    >
    > Get a better browser, such as Firefox, or Opera, or Chrome, or Safari, or,
    > basically, anything but IE.
    >
    > Or devote your time instead to something you find a little easier to
    > understand. Consider taking up knitting as a hobby.

    Oh great so now people need a super-duper-state-of-the-art webbrowser for
    something as old as opengl which works on windows 95 ?!

    What's wrong with HTML for godssakes ?! ;) :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D

    Skybuck Flying, Feb 14, 2010
  18. Skybuck Flying

    The Magpie Guest

    On 14/02/2010 17:13, Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > Oh great so now people need a super-duper-state-of-the-art webbrowser for
    > something as old as opengl which works on windows 95 ?!
    >
    > What's wrong with HTML for godssakes ?! ;) :)

    There is absolutely nothing (much) wrong with a decent implementation
    of HTML at all. Or with XML.

    What is wrong is the stupid fucking way you are trying to use antique,
    broken and buggy software to do a job it was never capable of damn
    well doing!

    Did you not even take the hint when you got a *Microsoft* message
    telling you the *Microsoft* software was broken and that you needed
    more *Microsoft* software to make it work?

    FOr crying out loud, mate - who *else* do you want to tell you to stop
    using that crap and get something from this century!

    The Magpie, Feb 14, 2010
  19. Skybuck Flying

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <hl98rj$27u$>, "Pulse" <> wrote:
    >LOL. Open source. As if in the mind boggling millions of lines of code
    >something couldn't be slipped in - or many things. And if one's discovered?
    >Oh that's just a bug - we'll issue a patch for you.

    You clearly don't understand. Never mind, though -- if Firefox bothers you,
    use Opera instead. Or Safari. Or Chrome. IE is a POS.

    >BTW, have a look at http://www.mozilla.org now - they're boldly displaying
    >the red star.

    No, they're not, dumbass. *You* look at it. Then compare to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_star

    >They are (red) communists - and open about - have been since
    >they took over years ago. If you trust them so much fine, I don't
    >particularly.

    It's time to change the tin-foil lining in your hat again.

    Doug Miller, Feb 14, 2010
  20. Skybuck Flying wrote:

    > What's wrong with HTML for godssakes ?! ;) :)

    I'm going to regret this.

    Okay I have already explained this, the manual uses complex mathatical
    formulas. They are using MathML for these formulas which requires the
    XHTML. HTML is great but is not extensible to the MathML features. To
    make these formulas in an HTML document you would have to use images.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 14, 2010