openGL documention?

bas wilbers

hello,
lately is was experimenting a bit with ruby-opengl,
It works a little bit and I found a few things already,
but It would go much faster with documentation the examples only is not
enough plus not evrything is there problably.
I did found a very good guide on GLprogramming.com but it was for normal
opengl not the ruby one, most of the things said there are usefull, but
there are also a lot of things I cannot get to work as they say it
should with ruby-opengl.
does somebody now if there is anything like documentation of rubyopengl
or a reference or something or better #commented examples.

thanks in advance
bas wilbers

anne001

In my experience the ruby openGl have been just like their "normal"
counterpart.
what did you have trouble with?

john_sips_tea

Just for some background, here on Debian Etch I can apt-get install
libopengl-ruby (the package which supplies ruby-opengl:
http://www2.giganet.net/~yoshi/ ). To install it, it pulls in freeglut3
also. It gives you opengl.so and glut.so. The readme does not seem to
be available in english.

I notice that, for writing games with Ruby, RubyGame (
http://rubygame.seul.org/ ) makes use of ruby-opengl as well. It's docs
have this to say:

| Please note that Rubygame itself does not provide an interface
| to OpenGL functions - only functions which allow Rubygame to
| work together with OpenGL. You will need to use another library,
| for example ruby-opengl, to actually create graphics with OpenGL.

There's a bit more to say on Ruby + OpenGL at the wiki:
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?OpenGL

Would someone mind posting a translation of the README.EUC here?
Thanks,
---John

Gary Watson

bas said:
hello,
lately is was experimenting a bit with ruby-opengl,
It works a little bit and I found a few things already,
but It would go much faster with documentation the examples only is not
enough plus not evrything is there problably.
I did found a very good guide on GLprogramming.com but it was for normal
opengl not the ruby one, most of the things said there are usefull, but
there are also a lot of things I cannot get to work as they say it
should with ruby-opengl.
does somebody now if there is anything like documentation of rubyopengl
or a reference or something or better #commented examples.

thanks in advance
bas wilbers

checkout this site http://nehe.gamedev.net/

it has tutorials for opengl, the neat thing is that the tutorials are
duplicated for almost every language imaginable. There are ruby
examples on that web site.

Hope this helps
Gary

john_sips_tea

Ilmari said:
Would someone mind posting a translation of the README.EUC here?
Thanks,
---John

It's out of date, but here goes, with the help of wwwjdic:

[snip]

Most of the work was done by yashi. Muchos gracias (???)

Thanks!

bas wilbers

Gary said:
checkout this site http://nehe.gamedev.net/

it has tutorials for opengl, the neat thing is that the tutorials are
duplicated for almost every language imaginable. There are ruby
examples on that web site.
thank you for this site it looks good, but there are no ruby examples
there, only on one tutorial and that link is broken, I googled the site
for ruby and again only that broken link was found.
Hope this helps
but they do help cuase there is a lot of information on the site but
still not really what I was looking for.
thanks for your post

Bas wilbers

anne001 said:
what are you looking for. Can you give a specific example?

well the camera stuff, and how can I make that a cube gets smaller when
it's further away. also the texture part is weird I know how it works
but when I rotate the object it does weird stuff.

mostly the camera part is what I was looking for.

baswilbers

include GL
thank you for your example
loop do
MatrixMode(PROJECTION)
LoadIdentity()
Perspective(
camera.fov,
viewport.width.to_f / viewport.height,
camera.near_clip,
camera.far_clip)
error = undefined local variable or
method `camera' for main:Object (NameError)

do I have to make the camera or something, I'm sorry but I want to get
it working. but it wont