OpenGL in C++ displayed on a web browser??

oracle411

Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
that I would like to display on a web browser.

Was wondering how this could be done?

Thank you very much

Victor Bazarov

oracle411 said:
Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
that I would like to display on a web browser.

Was wondering how this could be done?

[Reading this post (and replying) in comp.lang.c++]

This is no possible. There is no such thing as "web browser"
defined in C++ language. Please consider posting to a newsgroup
for your OS.

Victor

WTH

oracle411 said:
Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
that I would like to display on a web browser.

Was wondering how this could be done?

Thank you very much

Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right an ActiveX control which is
actually very simple. If you're talking about cross platform/browser
support it gets a little bit hairy.

WTH

fungus

WTH said:
Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right

Maybe you mean "write", or perhaps "wright"...
an ActiveX control which is actually very
simple. If you're talking about cross platform/browser
support it gets a little bit hairy.

The only problem is persuading people with any
brains to turn ActiveX support back on again
just to see your OpenGL program.

Does this thing have to be interactive? If not
you can maybe render the image on the server
end then send them a PNG of the result.

Another option is to use shockwave - they do
cross platform 3D stuff in a browser.

Anyway, this is neither a C++ question nor an
OpenGL API question. You really need to decide
what exactly you mean by "web browser", who is
your target audience, what computers they are
likely to be using, then ask again in a newsgroup
related to that...

Prepare yourself for some "hairy" answers.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Governments, like diapers, should be changed often,
and for the same reason.

WTH

Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right

Maybe you even WRITE an ActiveX control, LOL.

WTH

yooyo

oracle411 said:
Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
that I would like to display on a web browser.

Was wondering how this could be done?

Thank you very much

It is possible, but depends on browser and OS.
For MSIE you have to use ActiveX.

Maybe there is a another solution... do google for
php opengl bindings... If this project can help you...

yooyo

WTH

The only problem is persuading people with any
brains to turn ActiveX support back on again
just to see your OpenGL program.

Actually, you'd be retarded to turn it completely off as you can just have
it prompt you for installs (and only for signed installs if you wish.)
Anyway, this is neither a C++ question nor an
OpenGL API question.

Oh, wait, this is an "OpenGL API" only ng... Lol. Fungus, cut the guy a
break. He wants to know if any OpenGL people have mixed it with a browser.
Yes he needs to proffer some more information.

WTH

Yau Goh Chow

You could if you wanted to, have your OpenGL application sitting on a
Web-server. Everytime someone requests the page that you want ur OpenGL
program to be displayed on, you can use a PHP, Perl, JSP or ASP script to
invoke ur C++ program to render the OpenGL screen, do an image screen dump
then use the image libriaries for what ever scripting language you are using
to display the image on to the web-page. Offcourse the only problem with
this is that it won't be very interactive, and the over heads on our
webserver would be horrible.

Your probably better of learning Java and JOGL, then prot your OpenGL
application to Java. Then you can use a Java applet on your web-page.

Both solutions, you would find will work on any client platform.

corkqq

I am new to openGL, who can tell how I can start with a first openGL
application by starting with C++ builder?
Where can I downlaod C++ builder?

Scott Simontis

Chris Simmons said:

A very good OpenGL website is NeHe Productions, at
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ It has a lot of OpenGL articles, tutorials,
programs, and links. The tutorials have been ported to several
platforms and languages. Also, you can download the OpenGL Red Book.
Go to google and type in OpenGL Red Book. It is a very good reference
to have. www.gamedev.net is a good site too, with active forums and a
lot of articles. www.opengl.org is a very nice site to look for
information on OpenGL too.

Ioannis Vranos

Scott said:
A very good OpenGL website is NeHe Productions, at
http://nehe.gamedev.net/ It has a lot of OpenGL articles, tutorials,
programs, and links. The tutorials have been ported to several
platforms and languages. Also, you can download the OpenGL Red Book.
Go to google and type in OpenGL Red Book. It is a very good reference
to have. www.gamedev.net is a good site too, with active forums and a
lot of articles. www.opengl.org is a very nice site to look for
information on OpenGL too.

By the way what's up with Cg (C for Graphics)? Has it become popular?

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

Scott Simontis

Ioannis Vranos said:
By the way what's up with Cg (C for Graphics)? Has it become popular?

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

I started off programming learning C++. My long term goal was to make
games, so a lot of people told me C/C++ was the way to go, at least
for game programming. A lot of people follow that advice, and thus a
lot of people now use C/C++ for graphcis programming. Some people
choose other languages, like C# with Managed DirectX or Python, but I
find C++ to be a powerful language with a large user group, as do many
programmers who want to make games.

Ioannis Vranos

Scott said:
I started off programming learning C++. My long term goal was to make
games, so a lot of people told me C/C++ was the way to go, at least
for game programming. A lot of people follow that advice, and thus a
lot of people now use C/C++ for graphcis programming. Some people
choose other languages, like C# with Managed DirectX or Python, but I
find C++ to be a powerful language with a large user group, as do many
programmers who want to make games.

Yes C++ is excellent for games, and OpenGL an excellent portable
framework. I just asked what Cg is doing just from curiosity (and
because it is very much similar to C90 and the C subset of C++).

I had read some time ago, that it was under the blessing of OpenGL
group, or something.

BTW myself have been waiting for OpenGL 2, which will be completely OO.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

Joined
Sep 21, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
solution to opengl within a web browser

Check out the processing.org site....MIT dudes came up with C-like language embedded in a Java applet that support OpenGL through JOGL

check theses:

https://jogl.dev.java.net/
http://www.processing.org/reference/libraries/opengl/index.html
http://www.processing.org

its supported on Linux, OSX and Windows. As per the browser specific version and brand, since it is based on on/around Java....Java stand for "write once, debug everywhere..." ...so check it out before diving into it...

good luck

s.