    that I would like to display on a web browser.

    Was wondering how this could be done?

    Thank you very much

    oracle411, Jul 12, 2004

  2. oracle411 wrote:
    > Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
    > that I would like to display on a web browser.
    >
    > Was wondering how this could be done?

    [Reading this post (and replying) in comp.lang.c++]

    This is no possible. There is no such thing as "web browser"
    defined in C++ language. Please consider posting to a newsgroup
    for your OS.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 12, 2004

  3. oracle411

    WTH Guest

    "oracle411" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
    > that I would like to display on a web browser.
    >
    > Was wondering how this could be done?
    >
    > Thank you very much

    Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right an ActiveX control which is
    actually very simple. If you're talking about cross platform/browser
    support it gets a little bit hairy.

    WTH

    WTH, Jul 12, 2004
  4. oracle411

    fungus Guest

    [OT} OpenGL in C++ displayed on a web browser??

    WTH wrote:

    > Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right

    Maybe you mean "write", or perhaps "wright"...

    > an ActiveX control which is actually very
    > simple. If you're talking about cross platform/browser
    > support it gets a little bit hairy.

    The only problem is persuading people with any
    brains to turn ActiveX support back on again
    just to see your OpenGL program.

    Does this thing have to be interactive? If not
    you can maybe render the image on the server
    end then send them a PNG of the result.

    Another option is to use shockwave - they do
    cross platform 3D stuff in a browser.

    Anyway, this is neither a C++ question nor an
    OpenGL API question. You really need to decide
    what exactly you mean by "web browser", who is
    your target audience, what computers they are
    likely to be using, then ask again in a newsgroup
    related to that...

    Prepare yourself for some "hairy" answers.

    --
    <\___/>
    / O O \

    Governments, like diapers, should be changed often,
    and for the same reason.

    fungus, Jul 12, 2004
  5. oracle411

    WTH Guest

    > Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right

    Maybe you even WRITE an ActiveX control, LOL.

    WTH

    WTH, Jul 12, 2004
  6. oracle411

    yooyo Guest

    "oracle411" <> wrote in message
    > Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
    > that I would like to display on a web browser.
    >
    > Was wondering how this could be done?
    >
    > Thank you very much

    It is possible, but depends on browser and OS.
    For MSIE you have to use ActiveX.

    Maybe there is a another solution... do google for
    php opengl bindings... If this project can help you...

    yooyo

    yooyo, Jul 12, 2004
  7. oracle411

    WTH Guest

    Re: [OT} OpenGL in C++ displayed on a web browser??

    > The only problem is persuading people with any
    > brains to turn ActiveX support back on again
    > just to see your OpenGL program.

    Actually, you'd be retarded to turn it completely off as you can just have
    it prompt you for installs (and only for signed installs if you wish.)

    > Anyway, this is neither a C++ question nor an
    > OpenGL API question.

    Oh, wait, this is an "OpenGL API" only ng... Lol. Fungus, cut the guy a
    break. He wants to know if any OpenGL people have mixed it with a browser.
    Yes he needs to proffer some more information.

    WTH

    WTH, Jul 13, 2004
  8. oracle411

    Yau Goh Chow Guest

    You could if you wanted to, have your OpenGL application sitting on a
    Web-server. Everytime someone requests the page that you want ur OpenGL
    program to be displayed on, you can use a PHP, Perl, JSP or ASP script to
    invoke ur C++ program to render the OpenGL screen, do an image screen dump
    then use the image libriaries for what ever scripting language you are using
    to display the image on to the web-page. Offcourse the only problem with
    this is that it won't be very interactive, and the over heads on our
    webserver would be horrible.

    Your probably better of learning Java and JOGL, then prot your OpenGL
    application to Java. Then you can use a Java applet on your web-page.

    Both solutions, you would find will work on any client platform.

    Yau Goh Chow, Jul 13, 2004
  9. oracle411

    Gunix Guest

    Going a bit off-topic now... Ken Perlin presents some Java-based 3D on his
    site. Not GL tough. But it might be interesting.
    See: http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/

    Gunix

    Gunix, Jul 16, 2004
  10. oracle411

    corkqq Guest

    How to start with openGL?

    I am new to openGL, who can tell how I can start with a first openGL
    application by starting with C++ builder?
    Where can I downlaod C++ builder?

    corkqq, Aug 11, 2004
  11. Re: How to start with openGL?

    Chris Simmons <> wrote in message news:<cfeojm$r98$>...
    > For openGL:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=openGL tutorial&btnG=Search
    >
    > To download C++ builder:
    > http://www.borland.com/products/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

    A very good OpenGL website is NeHe Productions, at
    http://nehe.gamedev.net/ It has a lot of OpenGL articles, tutorials,
    programs, and links. The tutorials have been ported to several
    platforms and languages. Also, you can download the OpenGL Red Book.
    Go to google and type in OpenGL Red Book. It is a very good reference
    to have. www.gamedev.net is a good site too, with active forums and a
    lot of articles. www.opengl.org is a very nice site to look for
    information on OpenGL too.

    Scott Simontis, Aug 12, 2004
  12. Re: How to start with openGL?

    Scott Simontis wrote:

    > A very good OpenGL website is NeHe Productions, at
    > http://nehe.gamedev.net/ It has a lot of OpenGL articles, tutorials,
    > programs, and links. The tutorials have been ported to several
    > platforms and languages. Also, you can download the OpenGL Red Book.
    > Go to google and type in OpenGL Red Book. It is a very good reference
    > to have. www.gamedev.net is a good site too, with active forums and a
    > lot of articles. www.opengl.org is a very nice site to look for
    > information on OpenGL too.

    By the way what's up with Cg (C for Graphics)? Has it become popular?

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos

    http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    Ioannis Vranos, Aug 12, 2004
  13. Re: How to start with openGL?

    Ioannis Vranos <> wrote in message news:<cfgpb3$2at4$>...
    > Scott Simontis wrote:
    >
    > > A very good OpenGL website is NeHe Productions, at
    > > http://nehe.gamedev.net/ It has a lot of OpenGL articles, tutorials,
    > > programs, and links. The tutorials have been ported to several
    > > platforms and languages. Also, you can download the OpenGL Red Book.
    > > Go to google and type in OpenGL Red Book. It is a very good reference
    > > to have. www.gamedev.net is a good site too, with active forums and a
    > > lot of articles. www.opengl.org is a very nice site to look for
    > > information on OpenGL too.

    > By the way what's up with Cg (C for Graphics)? Has it become popular?
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Ioannis Vranos
    >
    > http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

    I started off programming learning C++. My long term goal was to make
    games, so a lot of people told me C/C++ was the way to go, at least
    for game programming. A lot of people follow that advice, and thus a
    lot of people now use C/C++ for graphcis programming. Some people
    choose other languages, like C# with Managed DirectX or Python, but I
    find C++ to be a powerful language with a large user group, as do many
    programmers who want to make games.

    Scott Simontis, Aug 13, 2004
  14. Re: How to start with openGL?

    Scott Simontis wrote:

    > I started off programming learning C++. My long term goal was to make
    > games, so a lot of people told me C/C++ was the way to go, at least
    > for game programming. A lot of people follow that advice, and thus a
    > lot of people now use C/C++ for graphcis programming. Some people
    > choose other languages, like C# with Managed DirectX or Python, but I
    > find C++ to be a powerful language with a large user group, as do many
    > programmers who want to make games.

    Yes C++ is excellent for games, and OpenGL an excellent portable
    framework. I just asked what Cg is doing just from curiosity (and
    because it is very much similar to C90 and the C subset of C++).

    I had read some time ago, that it was under the blessing of OpenGL
    group, or something.

    BTW myself have been waiting for OpenGL 2, which will be completely OO.

    Ioannis Vranos, Aug 13, 2004
  15. Ioannis Vranos, Aug 13, 2004
  16. oracle411

    sylviod

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    solution to opengl within a web browser

    Check out the processing.org site....MIT dudes came up with C-like language embedded in a Java applet that support OpenGL through JOGL

    check theses:

    https://jogl.dev.java.net/
    http://www.processing.org/reference/libraries/opengl/index.html
    http://www.processing.org

    its supported on Linux, OSX and Windows. As per the browser specific version and brand, since it is based on on/around Java....Java stand for "write once, debug everywhere..." ...so check it out before diving into it...

    good luck

    s.

    sylviod, Sep 21, 2006