opengl problem (from gears sample)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Roberto Cm, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. Roberto Cm

    Roberto Cm Guest

    I wanted to take a look at ruby's opengl but I'm having issues -- can
    you help me out? I installed it and I can require it in irb or a file
    without issue:

    irb
    001:0> require 'opengl'
    true
    002:0> include Gl, Glu, Glut
    Object

    I downloaded the opengl gears demo here:
    http://members.shaw.ca/michael.brooks/gears_using_shaders.zip
    and this won't run. It errors out with:
    ruby: symbol lookup error:
    /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.3dev/gems/ruby-opengl-0.60.1/lib/glut.so:
    undefined symbol: STR2CSTR

    ruby -v
    ruby 1.9.3dev (2010-05-31 trunk 28108) [powerpc64-linux]
    gem specification ruby-opengl|grep -1 version
    name: ruby-opengl
    version: !ruby/object:Gem::Version
    prerelease: false
    --
    - 1
    version: 0.60.1

    Roberto Cm, Jun 7, 2010

  2. Roberto Cm

    Roberto Cm Guest

    Roberto Cm, Jun 7, 2010

  3. Roberto Cm wrote:
    > I wanted to take a look at ruby's opengl but I'm having issues -- can
    > you help me out? I installed it and I can require it in irb or a file
    > without issue:
    >
    > irb
    > 001:0> require 'opengl'
    > true
    > 002:0> include Gl, Glu, Glut
    > Object
    >

    > I downloaded the opengl gears demo here:
    > http://members.shaw.ca/michael.brooks/gears_using_shaders.zip
    > and this won't run. It errors out with:
    > ruby: symbol lookup error:
    > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.3dev/gems/ruby-opengl-0.60.1/lib/glut.so:
    > undefined symbol: STR2CSTR

    Try installing and running it with ruby 1.8.x. The STR2CSTR macro is not
    used in 1.9.2, so it looks like someone will have to update the opengl lib.

    Joel VanderWerf, Jun 7, 2010
  4. Roberto Cm

    Roberto Cm Guest

    Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    > Roberto Cm wrote:
    >>
    >> I downloaded the opengl gears demo here:
    >> http://members.shaw.ca/michael.brooks/gears_using_shaders.zip
    >> and this won't run. It errors out with:
    >> ruby: symbol lookup error:
    >> /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.3dev/gems/ruby-opengl-0.60.1/lib/glut.so:
    >> undefined symbol: STR2CSTR

    > Try installing and running it with ruby 1.8.x. The STR2CSTR macro is not
    > used in 1.9.2, so it looks like someone will have to update the opengl
    > lib.

    that's a shame ...

    I can confirm it does work, although very slowly, in 1.8. thanks

    Roberto Cm, Jun 7, 2010