OpenGl

john townsley

Hi
I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine.
I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5

What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL
stuff.

thanks

Karthik Kumar

john said:
Hi
I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine.
I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5

What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL
stuff.

thanks

I think this would more topical is comp.graphics.api.opengl, rather than
here.

<OT>
AFAIK, at least WinXP and Linux comes with OpenGL headers and an openGL
implementation (though, the default version shipped with WinXP still
corresponds to OpenGL 1.1 only). But that would suffice if you
want to get started with the same.
</OT>

velthuijsen

Doesn't matter which C++ compiler you use in conjunction with OpenGL.
For every compiler you'd have to write C-code to C++-code type wrappers
(if you are planning to work OO and/or with the STL)

Offtopic:
Get OpenGL Programming Guide, ISBN: 0-321-17348-1, this one is for
OpenGL 1.4. If you run windows you might want to dig up an older copy
(ISBN: 0-201-46138-2) since that version references OpenGL 1.1.
nehe.gamedev.net

Swampmonster

john said:
Hi
I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine.
I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5

What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL
stuff.

thanks
do yourself a favor and use MSVC 7.1 (aka. "Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
2003") which is a very stable, std. conforming and fast compiler.
or try GNU, but GNU is generally a pain when dealing with windows.
then get the latest SDK from MS and you have all OGL headers & stuff you
will need.