    What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL
    stuff.

    thanks

    john townsley, Dec 23, 2004

  2. john townsley wrote:
    > Hi
    > I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine.
    > I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5
    >
    > What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL
    > stuff.
    >
    > thanks

    I think this would more topical is comp.graphics.api.opengl, rather than
    here.

    <OT>
    AFAIK, at least WinXP and Linux comes with OpenGL headers and an openGL
    implementation (though, the default version shipped with WinXP still
    corresponds to OpenGL 1.1 only). But that would suffice if you
    want to get started with the same.
    </OT>

    Karthik Kumar, Dec 23, 2004

  3. john townsley

    Guest

    Doesn't matter which C++ compiler you use in conjunction with OpenGL.
    For every compiler you'd have to write C-code to C++-code type wrappers
    (if you are planning to work OO and/or with the STL)

    Offtopic:
    Get OpenGL Programming Guide, ISBN: 0-321-17348-1, this one is for
    OpenGL 1.4. If you run windows you might want to dig up an older copy
    (ISBN: 0-201-46138-2) since that version references OpenGL 1.1.
    nehe.gamedev.net

    , Dec 23, 2004
  4. john townsley

    Swampmonster Guest

    john townsley wrote:
    > Hi
    > I want to do some OpenGl stuff with c++ on a winXP (home) machine.
    > I have Borland c++ 5, MVS c++ 5
    >
    > What C++ do you recommend (any others?)and where do you get the OpenGL
    > stuff.
    >
    > thanks

    do yourself a favor and use MSVC 7.1 (aka. "Microsoft Visual C++ .NET
    2003") which is a very stable, std. conforming and fast compiler.
    or try GNU, but GNU is generally a pain when dealing with windows.
    then get the latest SDK from MS and you have all OGL headers & stuff you
    will need.

    Swampmonster, Dec 24, 2004