    The user is already logged in, so why does it show me the
    login screen in excel?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Vishal, Jan 12, 2005

  2. What might be happening (I'm not too sure how Excel interacts with the
    browser) is that instead of the browser sending the data to Excel, Excel is
    initiating a direct request to the webserver to retrieve the data.
    The problem is that the website knows that you are logged in when using the
    browser (with Session Cookies, or however you are doing it), but Excel does
    not have access to those cookies and so the website does not know that the
    user is logged in.

    Assuming this is the case, the easiest way around it would be to make users
    download the Excel file before opening it.

    --
    Philip Q
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Philip Q [MVP], Jan 12, 2005

  3. Vishal

    Vishal Guest

    I think you are right. But how do I let the user download
    the csv file? I dont want to create it and store it on the
    web server. I would like to create it on the fly and send
    a temp file or something like that.

    Thanks for any help.

    Vishal, Jan 12, 2005
  4. If users are not prompted to download, they will have to right-click on the
    link and choose Save Target As... (or equivalent) - this is an issue with
    their browser.

    --
    Philip Q
    Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

    Philip Q [MVP], Jan 12, 2005
  5. Vishal

    Dave Fancher Guest

    Depending on how you have your page set up, you may be able to use the
    "Content-Disposition" header (example below). There are plenty of full
    examples available via google. Adding the line below to your aspx (or code
    behind, which ever method you're using) will cause the browser to
    automatically pop up the open/save dialog box.

    // sample only, read up on this to ensure you can use it
    Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "attachment; filename=List.csv");

    --
    Dave Fancher
    http://davefancher.blogspot.com

    Dave Fancher, Jan 13, 2005