opening a new window....not a tab

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window.
    Using the "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of
    which value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    window.

    So what's the best way of doing this?
    Nothing online yet but may have later.
    richard, Apr 20, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:27:17 -0700, richard writ:

    > Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window.
    > Using the "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of
    > which value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    > window.
    >
    > So what's the best way of doing this?
    > Nothing online yet but may have later.


    If there were a way to do this, it would piss me off quick. I prefer tabs,
    not windows, so I've set my browsers to use tabs in preference.

    If a site were able to force new windows to open, I would not use that
    site.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 20, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:27:17 -0700, richard wrote:
    > Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window.
    > Using the "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of
    > which value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    > window.
    >
    > So what's the best way of doing this?
    > Nothing online yet but may have later.


    Sorry, but it's _my_ browser -- not yours.
    Allodoxaphobia, Apr 20, 2008
    #3
  4. richard wrote:

    > Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window. Using the
    > "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of which value
    > I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new window.
    >
    > So what's the best way of doing this?


    http://tekrider.net/pages/faq.php?q=osl

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 20, 2008
    #4
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:34:22 +0000, freemont
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 09:27:17 -0700, richard writ:
    >
    >> Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window.
    >> Using the "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of
    >> which value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    >> window.
    >>
    >> So what's the best way of doing this?
    >> Nothing online yet but may have later.

    >
    >If there were a way to do this, it would piss me off quick. I prefer tabs,
    >not windows, so I've set my browsers to use tabs in preference.
    >
    >If a site were able to force new windows to open, I would not use that
    >site.



    Just asking. I can live with it opening in a tab which is basically a
    new window.
    richard, Apr 20, 2008
    #5
  6. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:42:08 +0200, Neredbojias writ:

    > Whoever invented tabs should burn in hell for all eternity.


    That would be Opera, my favorite browser... >8-O

    En Garde!

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 20, 2008
    #6
  7. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:31:36 -0700, richard writ:

    > I can live with it opening in a tab which is basically a new
    > window.


    Well not really, no. It's a new tab in the same window, as I'm sure you
    know. :) I currently have nine tabs open in Opera. If a link forced
    another Opera window to pop open, that would irritate the heck out of me.
    What the hell do I need another window for?

    Anyway, the answer to your original question is no, there's no way to
    force a new window AFAIK. Browser preferences determine that behavior.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 20, 2008
    #7
  8. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:01:48 +0100, Ed writ:

    >> If a site were able to force new windows to open, I would not use that
    >> site.
    >>

    > Is there a problem with new windows?


    Only when I've instructed my browser not to open any. ;-)

    Besides, everybody knows that people who like new windows are communists.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 20, 2008
    #8
  9. Ed wrote:

    > freemont wrote:
    >> richard writ:
    >>> Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window. Using the
    >>> "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of which
    >>> value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    >>> window.
    >>>
    >>> So what's the best way of doing this? Nothing online yet but may
    >>> have later.

    >>
    >> If there were a way to do this, it would piss me off quick. I prefer
    >> tabs, not windows, so I've set my browsers to use tabs in
    >> preference.
    >>
    >> If a site were able to force new windows to open, I would not use
    >> that site.
    >>

    > Is there a problem with new windows?


    The problem is mostly for n00bs (and for people who surf with maximized
    browser windows). The new window completely covers the existing window,
    but its Back Button is .. um .. disabled? No, there is nothing to go
    back *to* in this window.

    So the n00b just clicks their Google button and goes to find something
    else to read, and doesn't come back to site that opened the window.
    Later on, when they are ready to call it a day, they find the old
    window... but meanwhile they bought their widget from someone else.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 20, 2008
    #9
  10. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    richard <> wrote:

    > Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window.


    In who's browser? If it is your own you are asking about, there is sure
    to be a setting in your options or preferences for the browser. For
    example in my FF I have an option to "open new pages in the "current
    window", "a new tab" or "a current tab".

    As an author, your choices are between simply marking the link in a
    special way or not marking it. This marking is associated with the
    historical practice of new windows springing into life when marked as
    target="_blank". But these days, the choices for browsers are so great
    that author can only be reasonably sure that most people will have the
    link *not* open in the current window.

    > Using the "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of
    > which value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    > window.
    >
    > So what's the best way of doing this?
    > Nothing online yet but may have later.


    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 20, 2008
    #10
  11. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:29:09 +0000, Neredbojias writ:

    > On 20 Apr 2008, freemont <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:42:08 +0200, Neredbojias writ:
    >>
    >>> Whoever invented tabs should burn in hell for all eternity.

    >>
    >> That would be Opera, my favorite browser... >8-O
    >>
    >> En Garde!

    >
    > Well, I guess if one uses tabs, the back button goes to the previous
    > tab...?


    No, it's greyed out, just like on a new window. But...

    > Other than that, the only difference (vs. new windows) I see is where
    > the "buttons" are - top or bottom.


    When I open a link in a new tab (here by clicking the mouse wheel), and
    I'm done with that new tab, I simply close the tab, which brings me back
    to the original tab. Unlike using the back button, I don't have to wait
    for the original page to reload, because it never went anywhere, and who
    knows, maybe I want to keep the new page/site open. Maybe I'm shopping,
    and one tab has a list of goods, and three other tabs have different item
    details.

    I taught my wife how to use tabs with her Yahoo mail. Want to read an
    email, click it with the mouse wheel. It opens in a new tab. Done with the
    email, close the tab and there's the original list of emails just like she
    left it. No waiting. No confusion of multiple Firefox windows showing in
    her taskbar. Tabs rule. Back buttons are soooo 20th century. ;-)

    However I understand that some folks just flat out don't like'm. To each
    his/her own, but I think they're missing out.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 21, 2008
    #11
  12. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:23:47 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed wrote:
    >
    >> freemont wrote:
    >>> richard writ:
    >>>> Need a way to open a link in an entirely new window. Using the
    >>>> "target" attribute only creates a new tab. Regardless of which
    >>>> value I try. I can live with it but I'd prefer the entire new
    >>>> window.
    >>>>
    >>>> So what's the best way of doing this? Nothing online yet but may
    >>>> have later.
    >>>
    >>> If there were a way to do this, it would piss me off quick. I prefer
    >>> tabs, not windows, so I've set my browsers to use tabs in
    >>> preference.
    >>>
    >>> If a site were able to force new windows to open, I would not use
    >>> that site.
    >>>

    >> Is there a problem with new windows?

    >
    >The problem is mostly for n00bs (and for people who surf with maximized
    >browser windows). The new window completely covers the existing window,
    >but its Back Button is .. um .. disabled? No, there is nothing to go
    >back *to* in this window.
    >
    >So the n00b just clicks their Google button and goes to find something
    >else to read, and doesn't come back to site that opened the window.
    >Later on, when they are ready to call it a day, they find the old
    >window... but meanwhile they bought their widget from someone else.



    OTOH, noob goes to a site with his browser set to block popups, and
    can't figure out why he doesn't get certain expected things to show up
    like a new page. While many writers persist on javascript to create a
    new window just to give some short answer to a question when he could
    have done that in the same window. While some sites insist on JS popup
    windows to get your information from you. Yet, some insist on "pop
    unders" so that you don't see them until you do close out your main
    windows.

    Thankfully, with grouped items in the tray, noob might be smart enough
    to see that there are more browsers instances open than he had known
    about and just might close them out by pure dumb luck.
    richard, Apr 21, 2008
    #12
  13. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:29:09 +0000 (UTC), Neredbojias
    <me@http://www.neredbojias.com/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

    >On 20 Apr 2008, freemont <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:42:08 +0200, Neredbojias writ:
    >>
    >>> Whoever invented tabs should burn in hell for all eternity.

    >>
    >> That would be Opera, my favorite browser... >8-O
    >>
    >> En Garde!

    >
    >Well, I guess if one uses tabs, the back button goes to the previous
    >tab...? Other than that, the only difference (vs. new windows) I see is
    >where the "buttons" are - top or bottom.


    A new tab just replaces a new window. The back button is active within
    that tab only. It does not jump between tabs.

    I've never seen buttons on the bottom.
    richard, Apr 21, 2008
    #13
  14. richard

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:10:17 +0000, freemont
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:29:09 +0000, Neredbojias writ:
    >
    >> On 20 Apr 2008, freemont <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:42:08 +0200, Neredbojias writ:
    >>>
    >>>> Whoever invented tabs should burn in hell for all eternity.
    >>>
    >>> That would be Opera, my favorite browser... >8-O
    >>>
    >>> En Garde!

    >>
    >> Well, I guess if one uses tabs, the back button goes to the previous
    >> tab...?

    >
    >No, it's greyed out, just like on a new window. But...
    >
    >> Other than that, the only difference (vs. new windows) I see is where
    >> the "buttons" are - top or bottom.

    >
    >When I open a link in a new tab (here by clicking the mouse wheel), and
    >I'm done with that new tab, I simply close the tab, which brings me back
    >to the original tab. Unlike using the back button, I don't have to wait
    >for the original page to reload, because it never went anywhere, and who
    >knows, maybe I want to keep the new page/site open. Maybe I'm shopping,
    >and one tab has a list of goods, and three other tabs have different item
    >details.
    >
    >I taught my wife how to use tabs with her Yahoo mail. Want to read an
    >email, click it with the mouse wheel. It opens in a new tab. Done with the
    >email, close the tab and there's the original list of emails just like she
    >left it. No waiting. No confusion of multiple Firefox windows showing in
    >her taskbar. Tabs rule. Back buttons are soooo 20th century. ;-)
    >
    >However I understand that some folks just flat out don't like'm. To each
    >his/her own, but I think they're missing out.



    In a lot of ways I prefer the tabs method. Vista shows a mini screen
    shot of each open window so if I have more than 1 open, I can see
    easily which one I want rather than just guessing.
    richard, Apr 21, 2008
    #14
  15. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:05:03 +0000, Neredbojias writ:

    >> Tabs rule. Back buttons are soooo 20th century. ;-)

    >
    > Yeah, back in the last millenium we even had fixed-width websites. Hard
    > to believe, ain't it?


    Ahem.
    /me stuffs hands in pockets, whistles, kicks at imaginary rock
    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 21, 2008
    #15
  16. richard

    freemont Guest

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 02:23:21 -0500, Ben C writ:

    > Correct, and really tabs should be built into the OS desktop window
    > manager, not into the browser, so you can use them for all sorts of
    > applications not just browsers. I think newer versions of KDE may already
    > do this.


    You mean like:

    http://tinyurl.com/4u3ytt

    That's mine. I never thought of my desktop pager as "tabs", but I guess the
    idea is similar. Interesting. :)

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
    freemont, Apr 21, 2008
    #16
  17. richard

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2008-04-21, freemont <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 02:23:21 -0500, Ben C writ:
    > >
    > >> Correct, and really tabs should be built into the OS desktop window
    > >> manager, not into the browser, so you can use them for all sorts of
    > >> applications not just browsers. I think newer versions of KDE may already
    > >> do this.

    > >
    > > You mean like:
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/4u3ytt
    > >
    > > That's mine. I never thought of my desktop pager as "tabs", but I guess the
    > > idea is similar. Interesting. :)

    >
    > Ah you mean multiple desktops. Those are useful too but I was thinking
    > more of the tabs you can open in programs like Konsole or the Gnome
    > terminal.
    >
    > The idea is you could make all programs that can open multiple windows
    > optionally open multiple tabs instead at a stroke.


    I was printing on an old Mac on the earlier OS 9 today and I was
    reminded of this thread. You can drag folders down to the bottom and
    they magically become tabs down there, all lined up neat and clicking
    makes them open *up*. That certainly stops the desktop from being so
    cluttered. But I guess this is not quite what you are talking about in
    relation to apps.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Apr 22, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. metalive
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,136
    Andy Dingley
    Jul 17, 2005
  2. solstice.dhiver

    opening a new tab in opera does not work

    solstice.dhiver, Apr 29, 2007, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    287
    solstice.dhiver
    Apr 29, 2007
  3. AAaron123
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    6,975
    AAaron123
    Jan 5, 2009
  4. OtisUsenet
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    75
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    220
Loading...

Share This Page