    Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Rob
    anon, May 10, 2008

  2. anon

    Evertjan. Guest

    anon wrote on 10 mei 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:

    > I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links
    >
    > i.e.
    > 1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
    > 2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2
    >
    > etc
    >
    > What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without
    > any toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even
    > if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
    > new asp page.

    Classic ASP, being serverside script, has no knowledge of the concept of a
    window.
    ASP, next to serverside manipulation, only prepares the html stream for
    sending to the client.

    > I would be happy even
    > if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
    > new asp page.

    Again, ASP is not a page, it is serverside code content that is executed on
    the server and never leaves the server. Often it is called from the client
    with an .asp extention, but only the html [perhaps with clientside code],
    is sent to the client.

    So you are asking in the wrong NG.

    Try a NG about clientside scripting, like <news:comp.lang.javascript>

    [It could even be that you are asking about ASP.NET. We overhere do not
    know about such things. This is a classic asp group.
    Dotnet questions c/should be asked in
    <microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>]

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.
    Evertjan., May 10, 2008

  3. "anon" <> wrote in message
    > I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links
    >
    > i.e.
    > 1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
    > 2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2
    >
    > etc
    >
    > What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without any
    > toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even if the
    > control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the new asp page.
    >
    > Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    Take look at this code:-

    <head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    function displayItem()
    {
    var url = "NextPage.asp?item=" + this.getAttribute("itemID");
    window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
    scrollbars=no")
    }
    </script>
    </head>
    onclick="displayItem.call(this)">Item 1</a></div>
    onclick="displayItem.call(this)">Item 2</a></div>

    The key thing to note is the use of the window.open method.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, May 10, 2008
  4. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "anon" <> writing in

    > I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links
    >
    > i.e.
    > 1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
    > 2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2
    >
    > etc
    >
    > What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without
    > any toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even
    > if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
    > new asp page.
    >
    > Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Rob

    This is off topic for this group, but with that said, stop wanting that.
    Let the user decide if they want to open a new window. Opening new
    windows, especially without chrome, breaks the back button and can be
    confusing to the user. There is also the issue of memory, especially on
    systems with little memory, and systems that are using dial-up.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, May 11, 2008
  5. "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "anon" <> writing in
    >
    > > I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links
    > >
    > > i.e.
    > > 1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
    > > 2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2
    > >
    > > etc
    > >
    > > What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without
    > > any toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even
    > > if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
    > > new asp page.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > This is off topic for this group, but with that said, stop wanting that.
    > Let the user decide if they want to open a new window. Opening new
    > windows, especially without chrome, breaks the back button and can be
    > confusing to the user. There is also the issue of memory, especially on
    > systems with little memory, and systems that are using dial-up.

    Well thats a matter of perspective. If you are developing an intranet style
    application then for example the opening of new windows to show a more
    detailed view of an item displayed in summary in a list of similar items is
    quite a common and very natural requirement.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, May 11, 2008
  6. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Anthony Jones"
    <> writing in

    > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "anon" <> writing
    >> in news::
    >>
    >> > I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links
    >> >
    >> > i.e.
    >> > 1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
    >> > 2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2
    >> >
    >> > etc
    >> >
    >> > What I would like to do is open an new window with this link
    >> > without any toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be
    >> > happy even if the control to limit the appearance of the new window
    >> > was in the new asp page.
    >> >
    >> > Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Rob
    >> >

    >> This is off topic for this group, but with that said, stop wanting
    >> that. Let the user decide if they want to open a new window. Opening
    >> new windows, especially without chrome, breaks the back button and
    >> can be confusing to the user. There is also the issue of memory,
    >> especially on systems with little memory, and systems that are using
    >> dial-up.
    >>

    > Well thats a matter of perspective. If you are developing an intranet
    > style application then for example the opening of new windows to show
    > a more detailed view of an item displayed in summary in a list of
    > similar items is quite a common and very natural requirement.

    The OP never said it was for an intranet, hence my response.
    Additionally, the OP indicates these links are for pages in a series.
    New windows should not be opened for links in a series, that's what the
    back and forward buttons are for, eg.

    <link rel="next" href="page3.asp">
    <link rel="previous" href="page1.asp">

    A conforming browser will also display that information in its chrome.
    A breadcrumb trail would be even better, but not new windows.

    Adrienne Boswell, May 13, 2008
  7. "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Anthony Jones"
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > "Adrienne Boswell" <> wrote in message
    > >> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "anon" <> writing
    > >> in news::

    > >> This is off topic for this group, but with that said, stop wanting
    > >> that. Let the user decide if they want to open a new window. Opening
    > >> new windows, especially without chrome, breaks the back button and
    > >> can be confusing to the user. There is also the issue of memory,
    > >> especially on systems with little memory, and systems that are using
    > >> dial-up.
    > >>

    > > Well thats a matter of perspective. If you are developing an intranet
    > > style application then for example the opening of new windows to show
    > > a more detailed view of an item displayed in summary in a list of
    > > similar items is quite a common and very natural requirement.
    > >

    > The OP never said it was for an intranet, hence my response.

    As I said its matter of perspective. The OP didn't say it wasn't for an
    intranet either. What is clear is that the OP wants behaviour commonly
    found in application oriented pages which do tend to be found more in the
    intranet 'style' application.

    > Additionally, the OP indicates these links are for pages in a series.
    > New windows should not be opened for links in a series, that's what the
    > back and forward buttons are for, eg.
    >
    > <link rel="next" href="page3.asp">
    > <link rel="previous" href="page1.asp">

    Again another matter of perspective. You've drawn that conclusion purely
    from the name of a target page 'nextpage.asp'. However I don't see that
    requirement in the text which clearly indicates the OP wants to keep the
    window holding a list of items open and create a new window to display the
    details of a specific item.

    > A conforming browser will also display that information in its chrome.
    > A breadcrumb trail would be even better, but not new windows.

    Yet another matter of perspective, why is breadcrumb better? I know in some
    applications the user may want to open two items and display them side by
    side for comparison or cut'n'paste content form one to another.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, May 13, 2008
  8. Anthony Jones wrote:
    > window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
    > scrollbars=no")

    All of which I can override in my browser.

    To see this in action, open such a window in Firefox with the [Web
    Developer] extension installed. Right-click in the "featureless" window and
    select [Web Developer] --> [Miscellaneous] --> [Show Window Chrome].

    I agree with Adrienne. Stop wanting that. Or implement your own "window"
    with some AJAX and a draggable DIV.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, May 14, 2008
  9. Dave Anderson wrote:
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    >> window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
    >> scrollbars=no")

    > All of which I can override in my browser.

    .... which is something most intranet application users certainly do not
    know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working - YMMV).

    That said, I agree with your recommendation to use a div relieving you
    of the hassles of dealing with users with popup blockers.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 14, 2008
  10. Dave Anderson wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    >>> All of which I can override in my browser.

    >> ... which is something most intranet application users certainly
    >> do not know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working
    >> - YMMV).

    > To which I assert that the OP is not worried about that set of users
    > anyway.
    >
    > Ironically enough, he could get the desired features almost for free
    > with the ASP.NET AJAX Toolkit. It's ironic because ASP.NET questions
    > in here yield mild admonishments to read before posting.
    >
    > http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/

    I've been thinking for some time that perhaps it's time to expand the
    scope of this group to include client-side scripting questions,
    especially when overlap occurs which is certainly the case with xmlhttp
    issues.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 14, 2008
  11. "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > Anthony Jones wrote:
    > > window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
    > > scrollbars=no")

    > All of which I can override in my browser.
    >
    > To see this in action, open such a window in Firefox with the [Web
    > Developer] extension installed. Right-click in the "featureless" window

    and
    > select [Web Developer] --> [Miscellaneous] --> [Show Window Chrome].
    >
    > I agree with Adrienne. Stop wanting that. Or implement your own "window"
    > with some AJAX and a draggable DIV.

    I OTH disagree. If a user wants to put windows features back on to a window
    thats fine. I don't see why thats a problem. The problem with a draggable
    div (on top of the added complexity of AJAX) is that its restricted to the
    client area of the existing browser window. If you wanted to allow multiple
    views of various items even further complexity is needed. Window.open is
    simple and effective.

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, May 15, 2008
  12. "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Anderson wrote:
    > > Anthony Jones wrote:
    > >> window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
    > >> scrollbars=no")

    > > All of which I can override in my browser.

    > ... which is something most intranet application users certainly do not
    > know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working - YMMV).
    >
    > That said, I agree with your recommendation to use a div relieving you
    > of the hassles of dealing with users with popup blockers.

    Bob, Which pop-up blockers block the use of window.open entirely even as a
    result of user events such as a mouse click?

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, May 15, 2008
  13. "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Anderson wrote:
    > >>
    > >> ... which is something most intranet application users certainly
    > >> do not know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working
    > >> - YMMV).

    > > To which I assert that the OP is not worried about that set of users
    > > anyway.
    > >
    > > Ironically enough, he could get the desired features almost for free
    > > with the ASP.NET AJAX Toolkit. It's ironic because ASP.NET questions
    > > in here yield mild admonishments to read before posting.
    > >
    > > http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/
    > >

    > I've been thinking for some time that perhaps it's time to expand the
    > scope of this group to include client-side scripting questions,
    > especially when overlap occurs which is certainly the case with xmlhttp
    > issues.

    That's easy enough just answer the client-side questions (such as this one).
    ;)

    --
    Anthony Jones - MVP ASP/ASP.NET
    Anthony Jones, May 15, 2008
  14. Anthony Jones wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Dave Anderson wrote:
    >>>
    >>> All of which I can override in my browser.

    >> ... which is something most intranet application users certainly do
    >> not know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working -
    >> YMMV).
    >>
    >> That said, I agree with your recommendation to use a div relieving
    >> you of the hassles of dealing with users with popup blockers.
    >>

    > Bob, Which pop-up blockers block the use of window.open entirely even
    > as a result of user events such as a mouse click?

    None that i know of. I was thinking of the use of window.open in other
    e3vents.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"