Opening a New Window with no toolbars etc

anon

I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links

i.e.
1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2

etc

What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without any
toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even if the
control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the new asp page.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Evertjan.

anon wrote on 10 mei 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links

i.e.
1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2

etc

What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without
any toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even
if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
new asp page.

Classic ASP, being serverside script, has no knowledge of the concept of a
window.
ASP, next to serverside manipulation, only prepares the html stream for
sending to the client.
I would be happy even
if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
new asp page.

Again, ASP is not a page, it is serverside code content that is executed on
the server and never leaves the server. Often it is called from the client
with an .asp extention, but only the html [perhaps with clientside code],
is sent to the client.

So you are asking in the wrong NG.

Try a NG about clientside scripting, like <
[It could even be that you are asking about ASP.NET. We overhere do not
know about such things. This is a classic asp group.
Dotnet questions c/should be asked in
<microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet>]

Anthony Jones

anon said:
I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links

i.e.
1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2

etc

What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without any
toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even if the
control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the new asp page.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Take look at this code:-

<head>
<script type="text/javascript">
function displayItem()
{
var url = "NextPage.asp?item=" + this.getAttribute("itemID");
window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
scrollbars=no")
}
</script>
</head>
onclick="displayItem.call(this)">Item 1</a></div>
onclick="displayItem.call(this)">Item 2</a></div>

The key thing to note is the use of the window.open method.

Adrienne Boswell

I have a page where the ASP script create a table of links

i.e.
1 = NextPage.asp?Item=1
2 = NextPage.asp?Item=2

etc

What I would like to do is open an new window with this link without
any toolbars, addressbars, scrollbars and tabs. I would be happy even
if the control to limit the appearance of the new window was in the
new asp page.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

This is off topic for this group, but with that said, stop wanting that.
Let the user decide if they want to open a new window. Opening new
windows, especially without chrome, breaks the back button and can be
confusing to the user. There is also the issue of memory, especially on
systems with little memory, and systems that are using dial-up.

Anthony Jones

Adrienne Boswell said:
This is off topic for this group, but with that said, stop wanting that.
Let the user decide if they want to open a new window. Opening new
windows, especially without chrome, breaks the back button and can be
confusing to the user. There is also the issue of memory, especially on
systems with little memory, and systems that are using dial-up.

Well thats a matter of perspective. If you are developing an intranet style
application then for example the opening of new windows to show a more
detailed view of an item displayed in summary in a list of similar items is
quite a common and very natural requirement.

Adrienne Boswell

Well thats a matter of perspective. If you are developing an intranet
style application then for example the opening of new windows to show
a more detailed view of an item displayed in summary in a list of
similar items is quite a common and very natural requirement.

The OP never said it was for an intranet, hence my response.
Additionally, the OP indicates these links are for pages in a series.
New windows should not be opened for links in a series, that's what the
back and forward buttons are for, eg.

<link rel="next" href="page3.asp">
<link rel="previous" href="page1.asp">

A conforming browser will also display that information in its chrome.
A breadcrumb trail would be even better, but not new windows.

Anthony Jones

Adrienne Boswell said:
The OP never said it was for an intranet, hence my response.

As I said its matter of perspective. The OP didn't say it wasn't for an
intranet either. What is clear is that the OP wants behaviour commonly
found in application oriented pages which do tend to be found more in the
intranet 'style' application.
Additionally, the OP indicates these links are for pages in a series.
New windows should not be opened for links in a series, that's what the
back and forward buttons are for, eg.

<link rel="next" href="page3.asp">
<link rel="previous" href="page1.asp">

Again another matter of perspective. You've drawn that conclusion purely
from the name of a target page 'nextpage.asp'. However I don't see that
requirement in the text which clearly indicates the OP wants to keep the
window holding a list of items open and create a new window to display the
details of a specific item.
A conforming browser will also display that information in its chrome.
A breadcrumb trail would be even better, but not new windows.

Yet another matter of perspective, why is breadcrumb better? I know in some
applications the user may want to open two items and display them side by
side for comparison or cut'n'paste content form one to another.

Dave Anderson

Anthony said:
window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
scrollbars=no")

All of which I can override in my browser.

To see this in action, open such a window in Firefox with the [Web
Developer] extension installed. Right-click in the "featureless" window and
select [Web Developer] --> [Miscellaneous] --> [Show Window Chrome].

I agree with Adrienne. Stop wanting that. Or implement your own "window"
with some AJAX and a draggable DIV.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dave said:
All of which I can override in my browser.

.... which is something most intranet application users certainly do not
know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working - YMMV).

That said, I agree with your recommendation to use a div relieving you
of the hassles of dealing with users with popup blockers.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Dave said:
To which I assert that the OP is not worried about that set of users
anyway.

Ironically enough, he could get the desired features almost for free
with the ASP.NET AJAX Toolkit. It's ironic because ASP.NET questions
in here yield mild admonishments to read before posting.

http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/

I've been thinking for some time that perhaps it's time to expand the
scope of this group to include client-side scripting questions,
especially when overlap occurs which is certainly the case with xmlhttp
issues.

Anthony Jones

Dave Anderson said:
Anthony said:
window.open(url, "_blank", "toolbar=no, menubar=no, location=no,
scrollbars=no")

All of which I can override in my browser.

To see this in action, open such a window in Firefox with the [Web
Developer] extension installed. Right-click in the "featureless" window and
select [Web Developer] --> [Miscellaneous] --> [Show Window Chrome].

I agree with Adrienne. Stop wanting that. Or implement your own "window"
with some AJAX and a draggable DIV.

I OTH disagree. If a user wants to put windows features back on to a window
thats fine. I don't see why thats a problem. The problem with a draggable
div (on top of the added complexity of AJAX) is that its restricted to the
client area of the existing browser window. If you wanted to allow multiple
views of various items even further complexity is needed. Window.open is
simple and effective.

Anthony Jones

Bob Barrows said:
... which is something most intranet application users certainly do not
know how to do (at least the ones in the place I'm working - YMMV).

That said, I agree with your recommendation to use a div relieving you
of the hassles of dealing with users with popup blockers.

Bob, Which pop-up blockers block the use of window.open entirely even as a
result of user events such as a mouse click?

Anthony Jones

Bob Barrows said:
I've been thinking for some time that perhaps it's time to expand the
scope of this group to include client-side scripting questions,
especially when overlap occurs which is certainly the case with xmlhttp
issues.

That's easy enough just answer the client-side questions (such as this one).
;)

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Anthony said:
Bob, Which pop-up blockers block the use of window.open entirely even
as a result of user events such as a mouse click?

None that i know of. I was thinking of the use of window.open in other
e3vents.