    Your help will be appreciated.

    Regards

    Bundy
    Bundy, Dec 23, 2006

  2. Bundy

    dorayme Guest

    Take a look at <http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/3col-content-first.htm>

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 23, 2006

  3. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <458ca368$0$5708$>,
    > Bundy <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have created a web page for a 1024x768 display.
    >>
    >> The web pages have a left and right coloumn which are not important. The
    >> important content is in the centre.
    >>
    >> So I was wondering if it was possible for visitors with lower resoultion
    >> of say 800x600 to have the wep page opened centred in the browser?
    >>

    > Take a look at <http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/3col-content-first.htm>

    Thanks but it does not centre the page when opened in a broswer by a
    visitor with a lower screen resolution. I have tried it in IE7 and FF 2.

    Regards

    Bundy
    Bundy, Dec 23, 2006
  4. Bundy wrote:

    > I have created a web page for a 1024x768 display.

    Oh dear.

    > So I was wondering if it was possible for visitors with lower resoultion
    > of say 800x600 to have the wep page opened centred in the browser?

    I don't think I've ever seen a page that has horizontal scrolling and didn't
    default to the far left.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Dec 23, 2006
  5. Bundy

    Spartanicus Guest

    David Dorward <> wrote:

    >I don't think I've ever seen a page that has horizontal scrolling and didn't
    >default to the far left.

    Just for fun: <body dir="rtl"> produces a "right aligned" hor scrollbar
    in IE and Opera.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Dec 23, 2006
  6. Bundy wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <458ca368$0$5708$>,
    >> Bundy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have created a web page for a 1024x768 display.
    >>>
    >>> The web pages have a left and right coloumn which are not important. The
    >>> important content is in the centre.
    >>>
    >>> So I was wondering if it was possible for visitors with lower resoultion
    >>> of say 800x600 to have the wep page opened centred in the browser?

    >> Take a look at <http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/3col-content-first.htm>

    > Thanks but it does not centre the page when opened in a broswer by a
    > visitor with a lower screen resolution. I have tried it in IE7 and FF 2.

    Perhaps you should consider a non-fixed-size construcation.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2006
  7. Bundy wrote:
    > dorayme wrote:
    >> In article <458ca368$0$5708$>,
    >> Bundy <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have created a web page for a 1024x768 display.
    >>>
    >>> The web pages have a left and right coloumn which are not important.
    >>> The important content is in the centre.
    >>>
    >>> So I was wondering if it was possible for visitors with lower
    >>> resoultion of say 800x600 to have the wep page opened centred in the
    >>> browser?
    >>>

    >> Take a look at <http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/3col-content-first.htm>
    >>

    > Thanks but it does not centre the page when opened in a broswer by a
    > visitor with a lower screen resolution. I have tried it in IE7 and FF 2.

    <head>
    charset=iso-8859-1">
    <title>Centered block</title>

    .demofixed { color: white;
    background-color: red;
    width: 600px;
    position: absolute;
    left: 50%;
    margin-left: -300px;

    }

    </head>
    This is a fix width centered block. I am <strong>not</strong>
    advocating that one should do this, only that it can be done.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 23, 2006
  8. Bundy

    John Hosking Guest

    Bundy wrote:
    > I have created a web page for a 1024x768 display.

    Oh, curses! I don't have one of those. :-(

    > The web pages have a left and right coloumn which are not important.

    Making them prime candidates for removal?

    --
    John
    John Hosking, Dec 23, 2006
  9. Bundy

    patrick j Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Perhaps you should consider a non-fixed-size construcation.

    You've started turning into George Bush :)

    --
    Patrick
    Brighton, UK

    <http://www.patrickjames.me.uk>
    patrick j, Dec 23, 2006
  10. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    > Perhaps you should consider a non-fixed-size construcation.

    Something to consider since I do not think it is possible for a web page
    to be opened centred in a browser.

    Regards

    Bundy
    Bundy, Dec 23, 2006
  11. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    Thanks but I am trying to center a page designed for 1024 x 768 in lower
    resolution displays.

    I do not think it is possible to open a web paged in the center since
    browser open web pages from the left.

    Regards

    Bundy
    Bundy, Dec 23, 2006
  12. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    > Just for fun: <body dir="rtl"> produces a "right aligned" hor scrollbar
    > in IE and Opera.

    lol

    Thanks

    Bundy
    Bundy, Dec 23, 2006
  13. Bundy

    Bundy Guest

    >> The web pages have a left and right coloumn which are not important.

    > Making them prime candidates for removal?

    Something to consider.

    Thanks

    Bundy
    Bundy, Dec 23, 2006
  14. Bundy wrote:

    >> Perhaps you should consider a non-fixed-size construcation.

    > Something to consider since I do not think it is possible for a web
    > page to be opened centred in a browser.

    Resize your viewport vertically and horizontally and see what happens to
    this page (you'll get the 404 page I've been using for years):

    http://blinkynet.net/bundy.html

    I'm not proposing that this is a good idea for useful web pages.

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 23, 2006
  15. Bundy

    Bergamot Guest

    Bergamot, Dec 23, 2006
  16. Bundy wrote:

    > Thanks but I am trying to center a page designed for 1024 x 768 in
    > lower resolution displays.

    Help me to understand. You want to paint a canvas one meter wide, and
    then show it in the *center* of a half-meter wide picture frame?

    > I do not think it is possible to open a web paged in the center since
    > browser open web pages from the left.

    Have a look: http://www.att.net/

    Browsers open pages where the code tells them to put it.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 24, 2006
  17. Bundy wrote:
    > Thanks but I am trying to center a page designed for 1024 x 768 in lower
    > resolution displays.
    >
    > I do not think it is possible to open a web paged in the center since
    > browser open web pages from the left.

    Ah, firstly you did not quote what you were referring to.

    Secondly, mine was just an example and I chose 600px arbitrarily you
    could change the value:

    demofixed { color: white;
    background-color: red;
    width: 1024px;

    But I have to say, this is a very bad idea. I makes folks with say old
    laptops with 800x600 res panels great difficulty. Learn to adjust your
    design that can adapt to whatever "window"(not screen size) the browser
    is at.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan