opening instance of excel through asp

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by atoi, Oct 16, 2003.

  1. atoi

    atoi Guest

    when i try to open an excel spreadsheet using the
    following code, the process just hangs IF the spreadsheet
    contains macros:

    Set objXls = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    objXls.DisplayAlerts = False
    objXls.Visible = False
    objXls.Workbooks.Open my_excel_path '<-- hangs here

    this worked on iis4, but since moving this to iis5 it
    fails under the aformentioned circumstances. my guess is
    that the macro security has something to do with it as a
    dialog box will pop up if macro security is set to medium,
    but i'm not sure this is really the problem. if it was,
    what profile should change the macro security on the
    server? when task manager is opened on the server to see
    the hanging task, it shows SYSTEM as the process owner...

    any ideas??? thanks!

    atoi, Oct 16, 2003

  2. atoi

    Ray at Guest

    Are you running this code on the server? If so, this is ill-advised by
    Microsoft. But, should you want to do this, run the code as vbs on your
    machine. You should see an error.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Oct 16, 2003