Opening links in specific browsers (IE 6 for example)

Rohit Gupta

Hi,

I want to open to html links in specific browser (for me it is IE 6)
using JavaScript. I could not find any relevant material where I could
specify which browser to open it into. Can anyone throw some light as
to how should I go about doing this.

Thanks,

Rohit

Stevo

Rohit said:
I want to open to html links in specific browser (for me it is IE 6)
using JavaScript. I could not find any relevant material where I could
specify which browser to open it into. Can anyone throw some light as
to how should I go about doing this.

As far as I know, all you can control is whether or not they open in the
current window, or a new window (popup). Which browser opens depends on
which one on the user's system is the default for the protocol type
(e.g. http, https). If a user has Firefox installed, but has IE set to
the default browser, there's no way you can make Firefox open with a link.

David Dorward

I want to open to html links in specific browser (for me it is IE 6)
using JavaScript.

It isn't possible without something with massive security rights on
the user's system exposing an interface to JS. (A signed Java Applet
might do the trick).

If you really need a page to open in IE6, then that page should be
fixed so it is standards compatible.

Rohit Gupta

As far as I know, all you can control is whether or not they open in the
current window, or a new window (popup). Which browser opens depends on
which one on the user's system is the default for the protocol type
(e.g. http, https). If a user has Firefox installed, but has IE set to
the default browser, there's no way you can make Firefox open with a link.

Ok, thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Rohit