Opening new browser window in 2nd monitor?

santiago538

Hi,

Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

David Dorward

Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
starts at - but EUGH)..

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:
Hi,

Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3 or
4 monitors?

Jim Davis

David Dorward said:
No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
starts at - but EUGH)..

That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
resolutions.

There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part JavaScript
only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will always come back
from the primary screen for example).

Jim Davis

Randy Webb

Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:
That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
resolutions.

There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part JavaScript
only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will always come back
from the primary screen for example).

That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the
total width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them
arranged. I can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

Gérard Talbot

Randy Webb a écrit :
(e-mail address removed) said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:

And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3 or
4 monitors?

Randy, we all know that you have 5 monitors. Everybody knows that. :)

Gérard

Randy Webb

Gérard Talbot said the following on 9/8/2005 12:19 AM:
Randy Webb a écrit :

Randy, we all know that you have 5 monitors. Everybody knows that. :)

I have a setup at work that has 8, they paid a bundle for it. At home, I
have 2 but I want 2 more but the bucks just make it, well, prohibitve.
But the issues are the same.

Jim Davis

Randy Webb said:
Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:

That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the total
width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them arranged. I
can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

I should have have said "display" not screen (which is the wrong word for
this)... of course JavaScript doesn't know anything about "Screens" (or if
you even have a monitor) just about defined "displays". I'll bet in your
case these aren't independent displays.

There are two general multi-monitor display options available:

1) Spanned display: this option "stretches" your desktop across multiple
monitors. Although there ARE multiple monitors applications actually only
see one primary display (with an odd resolution). Most spanned displays are
limited to the same resolution and color depth on all monitors. Although
you have multiple monitors you have only one "display" (the primary one)
stretched across them - and JavaScript sees only that.

2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
on the (smaller) secondary display.

It would be nice if the scripting engine could return, instead, an array of
display information which each element being a collection of screen
information (thus an array of three elements would represent three
independent displays). In this vein a way to retrieve which of these
displays is the current "home" of the browser would be nice as well.

Jim Davis

ZER0

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:35:18 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:

Firstly, sorry for my english...

[cut]
2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
on the (smaller) secondary display.

I've Windows 2000, and that's true for Internet Explorer, but not for
Firefox for example. Firefox returns the information about the display
where the browser window is located.

Jim Davis

ZER0 said:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:35:18 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:

Firstly, sorry for my english...

[cut]
2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the
independent
color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280
primary
display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display
in
16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only
returns
information on the primary display even if the browser window is
currently
on the (smaller) secondary display.

I've Windows 2000, and that's true for Internet Explorer, but not for
Firefox for example. Firefox returns the information about the display
where the browser window is located.

Cool - the last time I tried in FF is was doing the same as IE.

Neat to know.

Jim Davis

Randy Webb

Jim Davis said the following on 9/8/2005 10:35 AM:
[...]

In IE, with the browser in either "display" monitor, it reports the
total width of both displays which is 2560. The resolution setting on
each monitor is 1280x960, but, one is a 17" and one is a 19". So the
resolution actually appears different because of the difference in size
of monitor. Now, if I change the display on my right to 800x600 and drag
a browser window from one to the other, then it changes what I see on
each monitor to the resolution I have set.

What is wierd is that when I set one to 1280x960 and the other to
800x600, the screen.width and screen.height I get are 2080 (correct) and
height is - oddly enough - 1560. It seems that IE thinks it is stacked
in both directions.

That is WinXP and IE6 SP2.

It would be nice if the scripting engine could return, instead, an array of
display information which each element being a collection of screen
information (thus an array of three elements would represent three
independent displays). In this vein a way to retrieve which of these
displays is the current "home" of the browser would be nice as well.

Not sure I agree there, as I don't see what the browser needs to know
the dimensions of any display it is not on, even if there are 100 of
them. Why does it matter unless it has some way to know which display to
open it in and a way to open it there (even assuming that it *can* open
a second window).