    new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
    only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

    , Sep 7, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
    > new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

    No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
    starts at - but EUGH)..

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 7, 2005

  3. Randy Webb Guest

    said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
    > new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
    > only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

    And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3 or
    4 monitors?

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Jim Davis Guest

    "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
    >> new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

    > No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
    > starts at - but EUGH)..

    That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
    resolutions.

    There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part JavaScript
    only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will always come back
    from the primary screen for example).

    Jim Davis

    Jim Davis, Sep 8, 2005
  5. Randy Webb Guest

    Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:
    > "David Dorward" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
    >>>new browser window in on systems with more than one display.

    >>No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
    >>starts at - but EUGH)..

    > That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
    > resolutions.
    >
    > There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part JavaScript
    > only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will always come back
    > from the primary screen for example).

    That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the
    total width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them
    arranged. I can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Sep 8, 2005
  6. Randy Webb a écrit :
    > said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
    >> new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
    >> only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

    > And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3 or
    > 4 monitors?

    Randy, we all know that you have 5 monitors. Everybody knows that. :)

    Gérard
    --
    remove blah to email me

    Gérard Talbot, Sep 8, 2005
  7. Randy Webb Guest

    Gérard Talbot said the following on 9/8/2005 12:19 AM:
    > Randy Webb a écrit :
    >
    >> said the following on 9/7/2005 5:01 PM:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way to specify which monitor a Window.open() will launch a
    >>> new browser window in on systems with more than one display. It would
    >>> only need to work with Mozilla browsers, and not IE. Thanks!

    >> And how, please tell, would you be able to tell whether I had 1, 2, 3
    >> or 4 monitors?
    >>

    > Randy, we all know that you have 5 monitors. Everybody knows that. :)

    I have a setup at work that has 8, they paid a bundle for it. At home, I
    have 2 but I want 2 more but the bucks just make it, well, prohibitve.
    But the issues are the same.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Sep 8, 2005
  8. Jim Davis Guest

    "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:
    >> "David Dorward" <> wrote in message

    >>>No (well, short of knowing, in advance, the pixel location that monitor
    >>>starts at - but EUGH)..

    >> That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
    >> resolutions.
    >>
    >> There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part
    >> JavaScript only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will
    >> always come back from the primary screen for example).

    > That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the total
    > width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them arranged. I
    > can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

    I should have have said "display" not screen (which is the wrong word for
    this)... of course JavaScript doesn't know anything about "Screens" (or if
    you even have a monitor) just about defined "displays". I'll bet in your
    case these aren't independent displays.

    There are two general multi-monitor display options available:

    1) Spanned display: this option "stretches" your desktop across multiple
    monitors. Although there ARE multiple monitors applications actually only
    see one primary display (with an odd resolution). Most spanned displays are
    limited to the same resolution and color depth on all monitors. Although
    you have multiple monitors you have only one "display" (the primary one)
    stretched across them - and JavaScript sees only that.

    2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
    color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
    display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
    16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
    information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
    on the (smaller) secondary display.

    It would be nice if the scripting engine could return, instead, an array of
    display information which each element being a collection of screen
    information (thus an array of three elements would represent three
    independent displays). In this vein a way to retrieve which of these
    displays is the current "home" of the browser would be nice as well.

    Jim Davis

    Jim Davis, Sep 8, 2005
  9. ZER0 Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:35:18 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:

    Firstly, sorry for my english...

    [cut]
    > 2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
    > color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
    > display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
    > 16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
    > information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
    > on the (smaller) secondary display.

    I've Windows 2000, and that's true for Internet Explorer, but not for
    Firefox for example. Firefox returns the information about the display
    where the browser window is located.

    --
    ~ "Nell'anno 1969 è bastata la potenza di calcolo di due Commodore 64 per
    mandare con successo una navicella sulla Luna. Nell'anno 2003 è

    ZER0, Sep 8, 2005
  10. Jim Davis Guest

    "ZER0" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 10:35:18 -0400, Jim Davis wrote:
    >
    > Firstly, sorry for my english...
    >
    > [cut]
    >> 2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the
    >> independent
    >> color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280
    >> primary
    >> display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display
    >> in
    >> 16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only
    >> returns
    >> information on the primary display even if the browser window is
    >> currently
    >> on the (smaller) secondary display.

    > I've Windows 2000, and that's true for Internet Explorer, but not for
    > Firefox for example. Firefox returns the information about the display
    > where the browser window is located.

    Cool - the last time I tried in FF is was doing the same as IE.

    Neat to know.

    Jim Davis

    Jim Davis, Sep 8, 2005
  11. Randy Webb Guest

    Jim Davis said the following on 9/8/2005 10:35 AM:

    > "Randy Webb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jim Davis said the following on 9/7/2005 8:31 PM:
    >>
    >>>"David Dorward" <> wrote in message

    >>>That would only work for spanned displays... not true independent
    >>>resolutions.
    >>>
    >>>There really isn't any way to deal with this... for the most part
    >>>JavaScript only "knows" about the primary screen (screen sizes will
    >>>always come back from the primary screen for example).

    >>That's not entirely true. My browser reports, for screen width, the total
    >>width of my monitors. Which varies based on how I have them arranged. I
    >>can make them horizontal or vertical or a square.

    > I should have have said "display" not screen (which is the wrong word for
    > this)... of course JavaScript doesn't know anything about "Screens" (or if
    > you even have a monitor) just about defined "displays". I'll bet in your
    > case these aren't independent displays.
    >
    > There are two general multi-monitor display options available:
    >
    > 1) Spanned display: this option "stretches" your desktop across multiple
    > monitors. Although there ARE multiple monitors applications actually only
    > see one primary display (with an odd resolution). Most spanned displays are
    > limited to the same resolution and color depth on all monitors. Although
    > you have multiple monitors you have only one "display" (the primary one)
    > stretched across them - and JavaScript sees only that.
    >
    > 2) Independent displays. In this case each monitor can have the independent
    > color depth and resolution. You can, for example, have a 1024x1280 primary
    > display in true color paired with a secondary 1024x768 secondary display in
    > 16 bit color. Again, JavaScript (on all platforms I've seen) only returns
    > information on the primary display even if the browser window is currently
    > on the (smaller) secondary display.

    In IE, with the browser in either "display" monitor, it reports the
    total width of both displays which is 2560. The resolution setting on
    each monitor is 1280x960, but, one is a 17" and one is a 19". So the
    resolution actually appears different because of the difference in size
    of monitor. Now, if I change the display on my right to 800x600 and drag
    a browser window from one to the other, then it changes what I see on
    each monitor to the resolution I have set.

    What is wierd is that when I set one to 1280x960 and the other to
    800x600, the screen.width and screen.height I get are 2080 (correct) and
    height is - oddly enough - 1560. It seems that IE thinks it is stacked
    in both directions.

    That is WinXP and IE6 SP2.

    > It would be nice if the scripting engine could return, instead, an array of
    > display information which each element being a collection of screen
    > information (thus an array of three elements would represent three
    > independent displays). In this vein a way to retrieve which of these
    > displays is the current "home" of the browser would be nice as well.

    Not sure I agree there, as I don't see what the browser needs to know
    the dimensions of any display it is not on, even if there are 100 of
    them. Why does it matter unless it has some way to know which display to
    open it in and a way to open it there (even assuming that it *can* open
    a second window).

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Sep 8, 2005