    know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    turned off. Is there any solution?
    Chris, Jun 21, 2004

  2. Chris

    Hywel Guest

    In article <40d72816$>, Chris says...
    > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
    > Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
    > but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
    > know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    > again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    > turned off. Is there any solution?

    Nope.

    --
    Hywel

    Big Brother Petition - Better TV Wanted!
    http://www.petitiononline.com/BBFlood/
    Hywel, Jun 21, 2004

  3. Chris wrote:
    > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window.

    Generally a bad idea. If I want to open something seperately, I'll
    middle-click the link which will cause it to open in a new tab. If I
    want it to replace the current page, I'll be very annoyed if your page
    forces me to open it in a new window. Problems are even worse for users
    who don't even know that a new window has been opened, and just know
    that their back button has suddenly broken.

    In summary, there's no good reason to force *your* preferences on *my*
    browser. Let me decide if I want a link opened in a the same window, a
    new window, a new tab, or somewhere on the moon.
    Leif K-Brooks, Jun 21, 2004
  4. Chris

    Karl Groves Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
    > Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
    > but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc.

    > know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    > again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    > turned off. Is there any solution?

    Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
    Doctor: "So don't do that"

    Your users don't want new windows.

    -Karl
    Karl Groves, Jun 21, 2004
  5. Chris

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <cb7a6e$80b$>,
    says...
    > Your users don't want new windows.

    You don't know that.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  6. Chris

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <40d72816$>, says...
    > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
    > Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
    > but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
    > know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    > again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    > turned off. Is there any solution?

    no
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Chris

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In summary, there's no good reason to force *your* preferences on *my*
    > browser. Let me decide if I want a link opened in a the same window, a
    > new window, a new tab, or somewhere on the moon.

    But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
    forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.
    What a catch 22
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Chris

    DU Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
    > Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
    > but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
    > know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    > again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    > turned off. Is there any solution?

    I'm actually using a browser window with all the toolbars (navigation
    toolbar, location bar, statusbar, etc), rendering a verticall scrollbar
    when content overflow window dimensions, the window can be resized by
    myself, etc.. I just don't understand why looking at your page would
    require me to remove these so that it would suit you, so that you could
    impose your viewing prefs on me. That is beyond my understanding.

    DU
    DU, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Chris

    Deryck Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
    > Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
    > but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc.

    > know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    > again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    > turned off. Is there any solution?

    Didnt the group have this discussion in 'target="_blank" in netscape'
    yesterday?

    Deryck
    Deryck, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Chris

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:58:24 -0400, Whitecrest
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
    > forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.

    Exactly. The user's preferences always overrides the author's, since
    it's the user who will actually be using the site. Hence the name,
    "user". :)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Chris

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:56:53 -0400, Whitecrest
    <> took a very strange rock and
    inscribed these words:

    >In article <cb7a6e$80b$>,
    > says...
    >> Your users don't want new windows.

    >You don't know that.

    You don't know the reverse either. Let them make the decision.

    --
    I have seen the life on this planet and that's why I'm looking elsewhere.
    - Fox Mulder, X-Files
  12. Chris

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:58:24 -0400, Whitecrest
    <> took a very strange rock and
    inscribed these words:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> In summary, there's no good reason to force *your* preferences on *my*
    >> browser. Let me decide if I want a link opened in a the same window, a
    >> new window, a new tab, or somewhere on the moon.

    >But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
    >forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.
    >What a catch 22

    Not if you want to please your customers.

    --
    Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
    / http://tlshell.cnc.net/
  13. Chris

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >You don't know that.

    > You don't know the reverse either. Let them make the decision.

    Sorry, I believe the decision should be based on the design and content.
    Not what a "generic" user may or may not want.

    No point in arguing, I will not change your mind, and you will not
    change mine.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 22, 2004
  14. Chris

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
    > >forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.
    > >What a catch 22

    > Not if you want to please your customers.

    No, you are basing your view on a "generic" customer you don't know. I
    simply disagree.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 22, 2004
  15. Chris

    OJ Guest

    DU <> wrote in message news:<cb7c4e$cvh$>...
    > Chris wrote:
    > > I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
    > > Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
    > > but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
    > > know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
    > > again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
    > > turned off. Is there any solution?
    > >

    > I'm actually using a browser window with all the toolbars (navigation
    > toolbar, location bar, statusbar, etc), rendering a verticall scrollbar
    > when content overflow window dimensions, the window can be resized by
    > myself, etc.. I just don't understand why looking at your page would
    > require me to remove these so that it would suit you, so that you could
    > impose your viewing prefs on me. That is beyond my understanding.
    >
    > DU

    Hi,

    Books aren't modifiable based on how you feel like reading them.
    Neither are magazines.

    oj
    OJ, Jun 22, 2004
  16. Chris

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Books aren't modifiable based on how you feel like reading them.
    > Neither are magazines.

    Yea, but the argument is, that the web is not a book or magazine, even
    though they can be used for the same content. Believe me, this argument
    is going to go anywhere where we have not already been a million times.
    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Jun 22, 2004
  17. Chris

    Neal Guest

    On 22 Jun 2004 10:10:18 -0700, OJ <> wrote:

    > DU <> wrote in message
    >> I'm actually using a browser window with all the toolbars (navigation
    >> toolbar, location bar, statusbar, etc), rendering a verticall scrollbar
    >> when content overflow window dimensions, the window can be resized by
    >> myself, etc.. I just don't understand why looking at your page would
    >> require me to remove these so that it would suit you, so that you could
    >> impose your viewing prefs on me. That is beyond my understanding.
    >>
    >> DU

    > Hi,
    >
    > Books aren't modifiable based on how you feel like reading them.
    > Neither are magazines.
    >
    > oj

    Then shut off your computer and read a book. :)
    Neal, Jun 22, 2004