Opening new window without Javascript

Chris

I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
turned off. Is there any solution?

Hywel

I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
turned off. Is there any solution?

Nope.

Leif K-Brooks

Chris said:
I'd like to have a link that opens a new window.

Generally a bad idea. If I want to open something seperately, I'll
middle-click the link which will cause it to open in a new tab. If I
want it to replace the current page, I'll be very annoyed if your page
forces me to open it in a new window. Problems are even worse for users
who don't even know that a new window has been opened, and just know
that their back button has suddenly broken.

In summary, there's no good reason to force *your* preferences on *my*
browser. Let me decide if I want a link opened in a the same window, a
new window, a new tab, or somewhere on the moon.

Karl Groves

Chris said:
I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
turned off. Is there any solution?

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
Doctor: "So don't do that"

Your users don't want new windows.

-Karl

Whitecrest

I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
turned off. Is there any solution?

no

Whitecrest

In summary, there's no good reason to force *your* preferences on *my*
browser. Let me decide if I want a link opened in a the same window, a
new window, a new tab, or somewhere on the moon.

But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.
What a catch 22

DU

Chris said:
I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
turned off. Is there any solution?

I'm actually using a browser window with all the toolbars (navigation
toolbar, location bar, statusbar, etc), rendering a verticall scrollbar
when content overflow window dimensions, the window can be resized by
myself, etc.. I just don't understand why looking at your page would
require me to remove these so that it would suit you, so that you could
impose your viewing prefs on me. That is beyond my understanding.

DU

Deryck

Chris said:
I'd like to have a link that opens a new window. I'm trying to avoid using
Javascript. Using the syntax <a href="mypage.htm" target="_blank"> works,
but it doesn't let me set the size of the window, turn off toolbars, etc. I
know that I can do this using the Javascript window.open() method, but
again, I'd like to avoid it so we can handle users who have Javascript
turned off. Is there any solution?

Didnt the group have this discussion in 'target="_blank" in netscape'
yesterday?

Deryck

Mark Parnell

But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.

Exactly. The user's preferences always overrides the author's, since
it's the user who will actually be using the site. Hence the name,
"user". :)

tlshell

But you not wanting me to force my preferences on you is actually you
forcing your preferences (of not wanting me to code it that way) on me.
What a catch 22

Not if you want to please your customers.

Whitecrest

You don't know the reverse either. Let them make the decision.

Sorry, I believe the decision should be based on the design and content.
Not what a "generic" user may or may not want.

No point in arguing, I will not change your mind, and you will not
change mine.

OJ

DU said:
I'm actually using a browser window with all the toolbars (navigation
toolbar, location bar, statusbar, etc), rendering a verticall scrollbar
when content overflow window dimensions, the window can be resized by
myself, etc.. I just don't understand why looking at your page would
require me to remove these so that it would suit you, so that you could
impose your viewing prefs on me. That is beyond my understanding.

DU

Hi,

Books aren't modifiable based on how you feel like reading them.
Neither are magazines.

oj

Whitecrest

Books aren't modifiable based on how you feel like reading them.
Neither are magazines.

Yea, but the argument is, that the web is not a book or magazine, even
though they can be used for the same content. Believe me, this argument
is going to go anywhere where we have not already been a million times.