Opening New Windows

Karl Core

Below is an article I've just finished for my website which discusses "The
Scourge of New Windows", available at:
http://karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=25

The Scourge of New Windows

Description - This article will discuss the usability and accessibility
problems related to opening new windows, including popups and windows opened
via the "target" attribute.

scourge (skûrj) n.

1.. A source of widespread dreadful affliction and devastation such as
that caused by pestilence or war.
2.. A means of inflicting severe suffering, vengeance, or punishment.
3.. A whip used to inflict punishment.
(source: Dictionary.com)

On the surface, it seems a harsh overstatement to say that opening new
windows is a scourge, but based on my experience, it is as accurate a
statement as any when describing one of the worst ways a website can abuse
its visitors. Although there are surely worse ways to inflict frustration
and confusion on the people who come to your site, most of the time, these
things are done to either be intentionally annoying or are done by people
completely clueless about making websites such as amateurs and hobbyists.
However, opening new windows is a practice of even the largest companies and
most professional web designers. Why do they do this, and what are the
effects?

Windows Opened As Javascript Popups

Popup windows are most often opened on the user's screen to create an
inescapable advertising impression. In such a case, users' opinions are
clearly demonstrated in the fact that no other web practice has spawned an
entire industry dedicated to avoiding it.

All major browsers now have pop-up blocking features, as do products like
Norton Internet Security, Google Toolbar, and others.

The public's hatred for popup ads has gotten so severe that Microsoft
announced it would remove pop-ups from its US sites in 2003 and the
extension of the policy worldwide follows a report by Forrester Research,
which found that 64% of US internet users found pop-up ads irritating and
28% avoided sites that allowed advertisers to use them.

The helpless casualty in this situation is the popup windows that are
created for the purpose of delivering in-context information such has help
systems for an online form or an important tool such as a mortgage
calculator. My opinions on new windows not withstanding, your user, in their
quest to avoid popups, may miss out on important information or tools
because they've become so aggrevated by popups that their software makes
your site's features not work for them. The problem - on your end - is
magnified by the fact that now the user thinks your site is broken when they
click on a link and nothing happens. With the release of Microsoft's SP2
update for Windows XP, this pain is being felt by companies across the
globe. The new popup blocking feature in SP2 can make surfing some sites
seem like "the Internet is broken" to users who don't understand why some
links they click on do not work anymore.

The real cure for this problem is in the fact that if you need to open a new
window for important supplementary information, you'd better take a closer
look at your information architecture. If you think a popup with additional
information is going to help users, you're dodging the real problem - an
information flow that is lacking somewhere. If the content of your site
"requires" supplemental information from a new window, your users would be
better served by a rewrite/ reorganization of that content so that it is
more easy for them to use & understand, rather than a bandaid approach like
a popup.

Windows Opened Via The "target" Attribute

While it appears that most are starting to "get the picture" about popup
windows, sites are still relentlessly abusing their visitors through the use
of new windows via the "target" attribute.

Even though some sites use this method to create another method to provide
supplementary content, this practice is often used to open new windows to
send users to external (third-party) links. Naturally, opening these new
windows for supplementary content shares the same information architecture
problems as their pop-up siblings. Regardless of whether they're used for
supplementary content or external links, the practice raises additional
usability problems.

One of my colleagues, from Darthmouth college writes:

I have been doing some usability testing for a local hospital and we have

been fortunate to have participants with no familiarity with the web all the

way to self-described experts. We tested pages where external links opened

in a new window and pages where external links opened in the same window.

Nobody had trouble navigating when links opened in the same window. Many

people had trouble navigating when links opened in a new window.

-Most everyone used the back button to navigate the site and not the site

navigation links.

-Many people didn't notice when a new window opened, even when the page

explicitly indicated that links would open in a new window.

-Many people were unable to get back to the main site when a new window

opened because the back button did not work.

I have long thought that people get disoriented when following links and

that I, as the designer, had to build in ways to help people keep their

bearings. So I've done the javascript popups and the target="whatever". But

from watching people work with the web I am starting to think that people

don't really notice when they go from one site to another, and that they

also don't really care. They are questing for information and don't much

care where they get it. The damage done by trying to be helpful and impose

"context" is much greater than that done by leaving people to make their own

way.

These observations mirrored my own. During a recent usability test, I
noticed that new windows had caused disorientation in all users who had
experienced them. Primarily, this manifested itself in the form of a
"broken" back button. When users experienced these new windows and wished
to go back to where they came from, they were unable to. In fact, ALL
participants needed to be informed by the test facilitator that a new window
had opened and that in order to get back to the site, they needed to close
the new window. This is the last thing a facilitator wants to do.
Interrupting a test participant derails the testing process, and a
facilitator will often wait quite a long time to see if the participant can
figure out the problem for themselves. However, the new windows were such a
problem that the facilitator needed to interrupt the test so that we could
continue.

New windows opened via the "target" attribute causes confusion for the user,
breaks the back button, and harms your users' perception of your site. For
those who think that opening a new window will help keep the user from
"losing the [original] site", the real effect is exactly the opposite.

In a recent usability test I observed, about half the participants actually
got lost. With the new window completely covering the original site, they
did not notice that they had two (or more) windows open. In an attempt to
return to the original site, they repeatedly hit the back button. When that
didn't work, they totally closed all browser windows and completely started
over. Despite the fact that some sites insist on opening new windows "so
the visitor doesn't lose our site" when in actuality, the new windows appear
to actually cause people to lose the site rather than keep them.

During discussions of opening new windows with a colleague of mine, the
argument was posed that seemed to make sense: The primary problem with these
new windows wasn't just the fact that the new window existed. The biggest
issue was the fact that the window

was full size, therefore covering the old window completely. This, he said,
is what caused the users' confusion. The solution my colleague proposed was
that the new window should be created so that it is noticeably smaller than
full screen - say, 700 x 500. On the surface, this seems like an excellent
solution.

Then, during another recent test, I noticed that users who encountered these
smaller-than-full-sized windows would click the button in the upper
right-hand corner in order to maximize the window. Because the site being
tested opened new windows in multiple screens, some participants wound up
with 3 or even 4 windows of the site open to full screen. It almost gave the
impression that the new windows were cloning themselves. This pratice of
opening smaller windows is certainly is not a "fix", in my opinion. Indeed,
there's just no cure for the problems created by new windows except to
simply avoid them.

-Karl

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven Karl Core:
Below is an article I've just finished for my website

Well said, Karl. I'll bookmark it.

Couple of spelling errors though ...

so aggrevated by popups
from Darthmouth college
This pratice

Nice work.

Neal

When that
didn't work, they totally closed all browser windows and completely
started
over. Despite the fact that some sites insist on opening new windows "so
the visitor doesn't lose our site" when in actuality, the new windows
appear
to actually cause people to lose the site rather than keep them.

Perhaps "Despite the fact that some sites insist on opening new windows
"so the visitor doesn't lose our site", in actuality the new windows..."

Excellent.

Karl Core

Hywel Jenkins said:
Why post it all here?

Because I didn't want to come off as a spammer trying to get people to come
to my site.
I provided the URL for those who wished to bookmark it for future reference.

-Karl

Karl Core

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Quoth the raven Karl Core:

Well said, Karl. I'll bookmark it.

Couple of spelling errors though ...

so aggrevated by popups
from Darthmouth college
This pratice

Nice work.

Thanks for the heads-up, BTS. I fixed the errors.

-Karl

Neal

In alt.html nice.guy.nige said:

perfect. nice of your sister to pose for the pic. is it a permanent uri?

If that's his sister, he's my uncle, because she's my 'daddy'.

Karl Core

Neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Karl Core quothed:

Like anything, "new" windows can be good or bad, used or abused, liked or
unliked. This isn't philosophy, it's pragmatism.

Hi. What part of "participants in usability studies" did you miss?

-Karl

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Karl Core quothed:
Hi. What part of "participants in usability studies" did you miss?

-Karl

Do you deny that "new" windows can provide more accessibility and user-
friendliness than "same" windows? If so, you suffer from the same
hysteria which affects so new-window antagonists.

brucie

In alt.html Neredbojias said:
Do you deny that "new" windows can provide more accessibility and user-
friendliness than "same" windows?

no but i support empowering the visitor so they can make the decision
for themselves what is best for them and they're all _individuals_.

if you think one way is more user friendly than another or your
usability testing indicates one way is better than the other then do
that. its simple with a bit of giggly scripting to make site wide
behavioral changes for those that prefer it the other way.

i think people forget they have the power to cater to all their visitors
with just a bit of thinking and effort, not just the majority or the
minority.

wow, this batch of crack is really good!
If so, you suffer from the same hysteria which affects so new-window
antagonists.

i don't care as long as i can get nude and run around in circles waving
my arms in the air screaming "the cornflakes are soggy, the cornflakes
are soggy"