    Thanks,
    Dan
    , May 11, 2005

  2. Randy Webb Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Can a window be opened without a titlebar?

    No.

    > Can an alert message box be opened without a titlebar and an OK button?

    No. If it could, how in the world would you ever dismiss it?

    > I'm trying to display something like a tooltip when the onclick event
    > occurs.

    Then use a tooltip. A hidden div and make it visible.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 11, 2005

    I'm new to javascript. You say, "... use a tooltip." Does such a thing
    exist in javascript? (I only mentioned it because I'm familiar with them
    in C++.)

    The idea is to have the onclick event of a table's td element cause a
    small window / message box to appear for a few seconds which will show
    some additional information about the item in the table cell. setTimeout()
    will control the duration of the box. HTML's div element won't do.

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Randy Webb <> wrote: : wrote:

    :> Hi,
    :>
    :> Can a window be opened without a titlebar?

    : No.

    :> Can an alert message box be opened without a titlebar and an OK button?

    : No. If it could, how in the world would you ever dismiss it?

    :> I'm trying to display something like a tooltip when the onclick event
    :> occurs.

    : Then use a tooltip. A hidden div and make it visible.

    : --
    : Randy
    : comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq & newsgroup weekly
    , May 11, 2005
  4. Randy Webb Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm new to javascript. You say, "... use a tooltip." Does such a thing
    > exist in javascript? (I only mentioned it because I'm familiar with them
    > in C++.)

    Tooltips (as they are called) are available in plain HTML on certain
    elements. But basically all a tooltip is is a box that pops up for a
    specified amount of time.

    > The idea is to have the onclick event of a table's td element cause a
    > small window / message box to appear for a few seconds which will show
    > some additional information about the item in the table cell. setTimeout()
    > will control the duration of the box.

    I don't recall the exact name, I think it is DynLib or something close,
    that does precisely what you are wanting to do.

    > HTML's div element won't do.

    Why dismiss the most dependable way of doing what you want to do?

    > Thanks,
    > Dan

    Welcome.

    Please read this groups FAQ about top-posting.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 11, 2005

    Sorry for top-posting. Visual limitations make it very difficult for
    me to do.

    I'll try to track down dynlib, as you suggested.

    Using the div element or updating a form's text field requires that
    the whole page is reloaded. That would be distracting to my clients.
    Using something like a timed box would be unobtrusive and still make
    the additional information available.

    The best solution so far is to have the event call two functions,
    both of which update the status bar. The first function displays the
    information in the status bar, and the second function uses
    setTimeout() to replace the above information, after a delay, with
    the document's URL. It's working fine. I would rather find a
    tooltip-like solution, though.

    - Dan
    Randy
    Webb <> wrote: : wrote:

[...]

    , May 12, 2005
  6. Randy Webb Guest

    wrote:
    > Sorry for top-posting. Visual limitations make it very difficult for
    > me to do.

    <shrug> doesn't make any sense but ok......

    > I'll try to track down dynlib, as you suggested.
    >
    > Using the div element or updating a form's text field requires that
    > the whole page is reloaded. That would be distracting to my clients.

    Huh? Who says you can't update a form field or a div tag without
    reloading the page? Search the FAQ for DynWrite. It provides the means
    to change the contents of a DIV tag. (or suitable element with an ID).

    > Using something like a timed box would be unobtrusive and still make
    > the additional information available.
    >
    > The best solution so far is to have the event call two functions,
    > both of which update the status bar. The first function displays the
    > information in the status bar, and the second function uses
    > setTimeout() to replace the above information, after a delay, with
    > the document's URL. It's working fine. I would rather find a
    > tooltip-like solution, though.

    Beware of browsers that do not allow manipulation of the status bar. It
    makes your script not "work" anymore.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, May 12, 2005
  7. DU Guest

    wrote:
    > Sorry for top-posting. Visual limitations make it very difficult for
    > me to do.

    That does not make sense.

    > I'll try to track down dynlib, as you suggested.
    >
    > Using the div element or updating a form's text field requires that
    > the whole page is reloaded. That would be distracting to my clients.
    > Using something like a timed box would be unobtrusive and still make
    > the additional information available.
    >
    > The best solution so far is to have the event call two functions,
    > both of which update the status bar.

    Many modern browsers (NS 7.x, NS 8, Mozilla 1.x, Firefox 1.x, Opera 7+,
    Maxthon, etc.) now prevent scripters from abusing the text of status
    bar: a very good decision from browser vendors IMO. Users hate spamming
    text running in status bar.

    The first function displays the
    > information in the status bar, and the second function uses
    > setTimeout() to replace the above information, after a delay, with
    > the document's URL. It's working fine. I would rather find a
    > tooltip-like solution, though.

    I do not understand why you have not first tried to use the title
    attribute: this is a sound, sane, javascript-free, css-free way to
    provide an advisory info attached to an element.

    This is what I would recommend you or anyone to use first.
    99.99% of all webpages done on the web do not need more than the title
    attribute for .
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-title

    If the info is important for the user to know, to read, then you should
    not look for tooltip to convey such info.

    Please read this groups FAQ about top-posting.

    DU
    --
    A: top-posting
    Q: What's the most annoying way to post in discussion newsgroups?
    DU, May 18, 2005