    gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.
    Thanks, Steffen

    , Nov 3, 2007

  2. Tor Rustad Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
    > gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.

    BSD, Linux, Solaris.. comes to mind.

    http://www.livedistro.org/

    --
    Tor < | tr i-za-h a-z>

    Tor Rustad, Nov 3, 2007

    On 3 Nov., 15:40, Tor Rustad <> wrote:

    > BSD, Linux, Solaris.. comes to mind.

    Hi!

    I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
    my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got
    a linux- machine, with which I work most of te time, but I've got a
    windows machine as well (for some reasons...) and I want to be able to
    work with openmp as well.

    any ideas/experiences with cygwin?

    Cheers, Steffen

    , Nov 3, 2007
  4. writes:
    > Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
    > gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.

    This really isn't a C question.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 3, 2007
  5. Tor Rustad Guest

    Re: openmp under cygwin [OT]

    wrote:

    > I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
    > my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got

    The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using dual
    boot.

    > a linux- machine, with which I work most of te time, but I've got a
    > windows machine as well (for some reasons...) and I want to be able to
    > work with openmp as well.
    >
    > any ideas/experiences with cygwin?

    We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP is
    non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

    --
    Tor < | tr i-za-h a-z>

    Tor Rustad, Nov 3, 2007
  6. Re: openmp under cygwin [OT]

    Tor Rustad <> writes:
    > wrote:
    >> I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
    >> my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got

    > The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using
    > dual boot.

    [...]
    > We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP
    > is non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

    And your suggestion above is a good example of *why* we don't discuss
    Cygwin et al here. <OT>Running under Cygwin, if there's a way to do
    it, means you can run the OpenMP application and other Windows
    applications simultaneously. Dual booting means shutting down all
    Windows applications (or at least hibernating them) on each
    switch.</OT>

    I already directed the OP to the Cygwin mailing lists. A web search
    for "openmp cygwin" could also be productive.

    Keith Thompson, Nov 4, 2007
  7. Tim Prince Guest

    wrote:

    > Is anybody using an openmp compiler under cygwin? I tried to install
    > gcc 4.2.2 without success and now I'm looking for alternatives.

    Part of your comment looks better suited to
    If you aren't looking for advice, don't post where it's off topic.

    Tim Prince, Nov 4, 2007
  8. Tor Rustad Guest

    Re: openmp under cygwin [OT]

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Tor Rustad <> writes:
    >> wrote:
    >>> I was thinking of solving it in cygwin, because I don't want two OS on
    >>> my laptop, and not having to load a live distro each time... I've got

    >> The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using
    >> dual boot.
    >>

    > [...]
    >> We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP
    >> is non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

    > And your suggestion above is a good example of *why* we don't discuss
    > Cygwin et al here.

    Really? What are your qualifications on giving advice on this Keith?

    I do have cygwin, XP, Linux installed, and have used dual boot since
    Slackware 1.x

    > <OT>Running under Cygwin, if there's a way to do
    > it, means you can run the OpenMP application and other Windows
    > applications simultaneously. Dual booting means shutting down all
    > Windows applications (or at least hibernating them) on each
    > switch.</OT>

    It does not. Under Linux, people even run Windows games these days.

    --
    Tor < | tr i-za-h a-z>

    Tor Rustad, Nov 4, 2007
  9. Richard Guest

    Re: openmp under cygwin [OT]

    Tor Rustad <> writes:

    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    >> Tor Rustad <> writes:
    >>> The simple solution is getting a live-CD and install Linux... using
    >>> dual boot.
    >>>

    >> [...]
    >>> We don't discuss GCC, OpenMP or cygwin here. GCC's support for OpenMP
    >>> is non-standard C extensions, in c.l.c "only" ISO C is topical.

    >> And your suggestion above is a good example of *why* we don't discuss
    >> Cygwin et al here.

    > Really? What are your qualifications on giving advice on this Keith?
    >
    > I do have cygwin, XP, Linux installed, and have used dual boot since
    > Slackware 1.x
    >
    >> <OT>Running under Cygwin, if there's a way to do
    >> it, means you can run the OpenMP application and other Windows
    >> applications simultaneously. Dual booting means shutting down all
    >> Windows applications (or at least hibernating them) on each
    >> switch.</OT>

    > It does not. Under Linux, people even run Windows games these days.

    Actually yes it does mean just that if "dual booting". Alternatively run Windows in
    VirtualBox or VMWare or some such. Works well.

    As for the gaming : WINE or Cedega are dodgy to say the least. Its far
    better to keep a Windows partition for dual boot for gaming or other
    professional applications that do not have Linux/Gnus versions.

    Richard, Nov 4, 2007