OpenReader announcement: Open-standards eBook Format and Reading System Development Discussion Group

Discussion in 'XML' started by Jon, May 4, 2005.

  1. Jon

    Jon Guest

    Quick Summary (including how to subscribe):
    following discussion groups (hosted at YahooGroups) supporting the
    ongoing activities of the OpenReader Consortium:

    1) "openreader-format": OpenReader Format Specification (an
    open-standards ebook and digital publication/document
    distribution format), and

    2) "openreader-devel": Development of an open-source, license-free,
    multi-platform reference implementation of an OpenReader reading
    system ("user agent").

    (Both projects will be summarized in the next section. For more
    detailed information, refer to http://www.openreader.org/ .)

    If you have a supportive interest in either topic, we invite you to
    subscribe to the group of interest. (Those who subscribe to the "user
    agent development" group are strongly urged to also subscribe to the
    Format group.)

    By joining either of these groups, there is no implied commitment to
    become an active participant in either of the associated Working
    Groups, although we certainly hope you will. We welcome your thoughts
    and insights, even if you choose not to actively participate in formal
    Working Group activities.

    The home pages to the two groups are found at:

    There is a link to subscribe to each group at the group's home page.
    Or, you can subscribe to either using the following email addresses:

    If you prefer not to go through the process of subscribing yourself to
    either group, I'll be more than happy to subscribe you. Just email me
    ( or ) your request to join -- be
    sure to specify which group(s) -- along with the email address you
    want to use to receive group messages.

    More Detailed Information about OpenReader:

    As noted in the prior section, the best online resource explaining
    OpenReader is the current OpenReader web site (planned to soon undergo
    a much-needed major update and upgrade):

    http://www.openreader.org/

    OpenReader is a cooperative project to create an open, standards-based
    digital publication distribution format to facilitate current,
    continuing, and long-term access to ebooks and other types of digital
    publications and documents.

    The OpenReader distribution format will be based on well-established
    XML vocabularies, publication frameworks, and W3C technologies. This
    includes OEBPS (the Open eBook Publication Structure framework),
    XHTML, CSS, MathML, SVG and XLink, to name the more important ones.
    Our current plans also include eventual native support for TEI,
    NewsML, and possibly other advanced and specialized document markup
    vocabularies and publication frameworks.

    The OpenReader Consortium will also support the development of
    reference implementations of programs to render OpenReader-compliant
    documents on a number of devices, and to convert OpenReader-compliant
    documents to other publication formats, such as PDF/A.

    There is a clear need for such a distribution format, given the
    present anarchy of multiple, incompatible, inflexible, and proprietary
    publication formats which do not provide the reading experience
    consumers want and publishers strive for. David Rothman, in his
    TeleRead blog covering the ebook, digital library, and related
    industries (http://www.teleread.org/blog/), aptly describes this
    situation as the "Tower of eBabel".

    While the initial focus of the OpenReader Consortium is primarily on
    ebooks, we intend to make the distribution format flexible enough to
    be applicable to a wide variety of digital publications and documents,
    such as periodicals, newspapers, document collections, white papers,
    many types of business documents, etc. We even envision the OpenReader
    format to be quite useful for encapsulating and archiving standards-
    conformant Web sites.

    When the HTML format and HTTP protocol were developed more than a
    decade ago, NCSA developed a "web browser", Mosaic, to support the
    format and protocol. The success of the World Wide Web was due as much
    to the wide-spread availability of the NCSA Mosaic browser, as it was
    to the openness and availability of the HTML and HTTP specifications.

    Similarly, we believe that it is important to develop, in conjunction
    with the OpenReader Format, a cross-platform, open-source,
    license-free reference implementation of an OpenReader rendering
    program, which will make the OpenReader Format Specification truly
    useful, to establish uniform rendering behavior, and to spur others
    to build their own conforming OpenReader user agents.

    *****

    We look forward to your joining either or both groups, even if to
    lurk. If you know of others who may be interested in OpenReader, feel
    free to forward this announcement to them. We are also building a
    Consortium of interested companies and organizations in the digital
    publication and document universe who see the open-standards
    OpenReader as furthering their business and institutional
    objectives. Of course, we are looking for dedicated individuals, who
    agree with the OpenReader philosophy, to become leaders and help to
    make OpenReader a success.

    Thanks.

    Jon Noring
    OpenReader Consortium