openssl compilation fails for ruby-1.8.2-preview2 on redhat 7.2

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Bil Kleb, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. Bil Kleb

    Bil Kleb Guest

    gcc -fPIC -g -O2 -I. -I/mnt/local/md/d0/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2.S -I/mnt/local/md/d0/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2.S -I/mnt/local/md/d0/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2.S/ext/openssl -DHAVE_UNISTD_H -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H -DHAVE_ASSERT_H -DHAVE_OPENSSL_SSL_H
    -DHAVE_OPENSSL_CONF_API_H -DHAVE_BN_RAND_RANGE -DHAVE_VA_ARGS_MACRO -DHAVE_OPENSSL_ENGINE_H -DHAVE_ENGINE_ADD -c ossl_pkey_dh.c
    ossl_pkey_dh.c: In function `ossl_dh_is_private':
    ossl_pkey_dh.c:181: structure has no member named `engine'
    make[1]: *** [ossl_pkey_dh.o] Error 1

    How do I disable it to continue?

    Thanks,
    --
    Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
    Bil Kleb, Oct 9, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bil Kleb

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Bil Kleb wrote:
    >
    > How do I disable it to continue?


    Never mind, I just chucked the ext/openssl directory.

    Regards,
    --
    Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
    Bil Kleb, Oct 9, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bil Kleb wrote:
    > gcc -fPIC -g -O2 -I. -I/mnt/local/md/d0/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2.S
    > -I/mnt/local/md/d0/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2.S
    > -I/mnt/local/md/d0/local/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2.S/ext/openssl -DHAVE_UNISTD_H
    > -DHAVE_SYS_TIME_H -DHAVE_ASSERT_H -DHAVE_OPENSSL_SSL_H
    > -DHAVE_OPENSSL_CONF_API_H -DHAVE_BN_RAND_RANGE -DHAVE_VA_ARGS_MACRO
    > -DHAVE_OPENSSL_ENGINE_H -DHAVE_ENGINE_ADD -c ossl_pkey_dh.c
    > ossl_pkey_dh.c: In function `ossl_dh_is_private':
    > ossl_pkey_dh.c:181: structure has no member named `engine'
    > make[1]: *** [ossl_pkey_dh.o] Error 1
    >


    This error comes from the fact that installed openssl is too old.
    Try to compile OpenSSL 0.9.7d. Install it for example
    /usr/local/openssl-0.9.7 and configure ruby to use it e.g. ./configure
    .... --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local/openssl-0.9.7 ... Note you have to
    set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to have new openssl lib path.
    Ville Mattila, Oct 10, 2004
    #3
  4. Bil Kleb

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Ville Mattila wrote:
    >
    > This error comes from the fact that installed openssl is too old.
    > Try to compile OpenSSL 0.9.7d.


    I am mostly autoconf-ignorant. I this version dependency something
    that autoconf could be trained to detect?

    Regards,
    --
    Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
    Bil Kleb, Oct 12, 2004
    #4
  5. Bil Kleb <> writes:

    >
    > I am mostly autoconf-ignorant. I this version dependency something
    > that autoconf could be trained to detect?
    >

    Autoconf should detect correct OpenSSL compilation defines, so that
    it builds ruby openssl with the features that are available OpenSSL
    package. I think your error is caused by mismatched openssl headers.
    Ruby autoconf finds that there is engine member available, but in
    compilation phase the error occurs.
    You could check if you have multiple openssl.h in your compilation
    environment and delete unnecessary ones.

    - Ville
    Ville Mattila, Oct 12, 2004
    #5
  6. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <>, Bil Kleb <> wrote:
    >Ville Mattila wrote:
    >>
    >> This error comes from the fact that installed openssl is too old.
    >> Try to compile OpenSSL 0.9.7d.

    >
    >I am mostly autoconf-ignorant. I this version dependency something
    >that autoconf could be trained to detect?
    >


    _ That's the problem actually, it's detecting one version and
    using another. I have the same problem locally and it's a royal
    PITA if both libraries are in the default path for gcc. If at all
    possible make sure only one openssl is installed. I tried a bunch
    of autoconf foo to get around this and none of it worked.

    _ I would really like a "Don't use ssl_engine no matter what"
    option. I guess I'll have to write though...

    _ Booker C. Bense




    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQW2B2GTWTAjn5N/lAQHGYgP/VuOhPmnP7Rs8znO41jZawiks1my+7nD+
    MSya5PKo1gaqRMsXDyMOksYeFZBCvz/CPQEYZfH6U/9zyoi+nbVqc98l7got7777
    Xi0V1J8jIehANIiOWkaSraJ/457GCwLq3ZbOCpTuAcCTfKJR5004z4cZOQmZuOxd
    K0B22uj8C/Q=
    =nJnc
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Booker C. Bense, Oct 13, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. U. George
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    826
    U. George
    Aug 11, 2005
  2. Brian Marick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    148
    NAKAMURA, Hiroshi
    Nov 7, 2003
  3. Philip Rhoades
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    89
    Oliver Andrich
    Jan 6, 2006
  4. Curt Hibbs
    Replies:
    22
    Views:
    302
    Curt Hibbs
    Feb 2, 2006
  5. Akinori MUSHA

    Ruby 1.8.7-preview2 has been released

    Akinori MUSHA, Apr 20, 2008, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    103
    Charles Oliver Nutter
    Apr 21, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page