OpenSSL in Python

dcrespo

Hi to all,

What do I have to install to get the following code work (Win XP,
Python 2.4.2)

from OpenSSL import SSL
import config

KEY_FILE = config.SSL_KEY_FILE
CERT_FILE = config.SSL_CERT_FILE

----------------------------------

I've been looking for OpenSSL for python. I found pyOpenSSL, but it
requires the OpenSSL library, which I only found on
http://www.openssl.org/, but don't know how to install.

Other thing is the "config" module... I'm lost. Someone knows? :-S

My main purpose is to enable xml-rpc server over an SSL connection.

Thanks

Daniel

Sybren Stuvel

dcrespo enlightened us with:
I've been looking for OpenSSL for python. I found pyOpenSSL, but it
requires the OpenSSL library, which I only found on
http://www.openssl.org/, but don't know how to install.

Ehm... wouldn't your question then not be more appropriate on the
OpenSSL newsgroup/mailinglist/forum/whatever?

Sybren

dcrespo

wouldn't your question then not be more appropriate on the
OpenSSL newsgroup/mailinglist/forum/whatever?

Well, I think that because python is the language where I want it to
run, I ask it right here.
OpenSSL is written in C, so they wont help me. I need the right
wrappers to that C library.

Thanks.

dcrespo

First, is the PYTHON OpenSSL C wrapper what I need to get running.
Second, if you don't know how to answer, then limit your opinion to
yourself.

Thanks.

Sybren Stuvel

dcrespo enlightened us with:
First, is the PYTHON OpenSSL C wrapper what I need to get running.

I think that first you have to get OpenSSL running. Only then can you
think about wrapping it.
Second, if you don't know how to answer, then limit your opinion to
yourself.

We all enjoy the freedom of speech. Nobody is forcing you to read my
posts. If you don't like them, you're very free to ignore them.

It's not smart to fend of the only person who bothered to answer your
cry for help. Chances are people don't like the way you treat the one
person that replied, hence won't offer help. If you need help, the
smart thing is to stay polite.

Sybren

Josef Meile

First, is the PYTHON OpenSSL C wrapper what I need to get running.
I think that first you have to get OpenSSL running. Only then can you
think about wrapping it.
I think Sybren is allright here. After installing openssl, pyopenssl
won't be a problem. So, if you want to install openssl, you could
download the binaries for windows (google for them) or you could compile
it from source, which is the best approach for this kind of libraries.
The last approach is out of the scope of this list as Sybren said. You
should try first to find the answer in the openssl documentation or in
its official list. Then if you aren't able to compile it, then you have
to ask there.

If on the other hand, you have already installed openssl, but the
pyopenssl fails to run, then you can first see if pyopenssl has a
mailing list and ask there. On the contrary, you can ask here.

Regards,
Josef

Thorsten Kampe

* dcrespo (2005-11-01 01:11 +0100)
Well, I think that because python is the language where I want it to
run, I ask it right here.

You might think again. Your problem is not related to Python in any
way.
OpenSSL is written in C, so they wont help me.

Who's "they"?
I need the right wrappers to that C library.

The "wrapper" is pyopenssl, right?

But anyway, your question in a FAQ:
http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#MISC4

Took me about ten seconds to find it...

Thorsten Kampe

* dcrespo (2005-11-01 01:24 +0100)
First, is the PYTHON OpenSSL C wrapper what I need to get running.

You want to install OpenSSL under Windows. Get a grip: that's not
related to Python in any way.
Second, if you don't know how to answer, then limit your opinion to
yourself.

You /got/ a sufficient answer. If you had followed Sybren's advice
you'd already got a solution...

Thorsten Kampe

* Thorsten Kampe (2005-11-01 09:36 +0100)
* dcrespo (2005-11-01 01:11 +0100)

You might think again. Your problem is not related to Python in any
way.

Who's "they"?

You mean (probably) that the developers won't help you installing
OpenSSL because you need it for Python?! Holy Sh**...

No one cares what you need it for. If you would need it for Ruby or
Perl it still would have nothing to do with Ruby or Perl.

Juho Schultz

dcrespo said:
Hi to all,

What do I have to install to get the following code work (Win XP,
Python 2.4.2)

from OpenSSL import SSL
import config

KEY_FILE = config.SSL_KEY_FILE
CERT_FILE = config.SSL_CERT_FILE

----------------------------------

I've been looking for OpenSSL for python. I found pyOpenSSL, but it
requires the OpenSSL library, which I only found on
http://www.openssl.org/, but don't know how to install.

Open source is very often distributed as source tarballs that contain
installation instructions. So:

Download archive - extract - read files named INSTALL, README, ...

Repeating the advice you have from some other posters:
You have to install both OpenSSL (the library) and
pyOpenSSL (so python can use the library).
Other thing is the "config" module... I'm lost. Someone knows? :-S

I'd guess "config" is local module related to your system setup.
Nothing with that name comes with Python or pyOpenSSL.
My main purpose is to enable xml-rpc server over an SSL connection.
After installing pyOpenSSL have a look at

pyOpenSSL-0.6/examples/SecureXMLRPCServer.py
Thanks

Daniel
I hope this helped a bit.

dcrespo

Hi,

Excuse me all of you for the way I answered. Sybren, and all of you,
accept my apology. I saw the Sybren's message yersterday late night in
a bad moment.

I'll visit the OpenSSL forum.

Thank you all.

Sybren Stuvel

dcrespo enlightened us with:
Excuse me all of you for the way I answered. Sybren, and all of you,
accept my apology. I saw the Sybren's message yersterday late night
in a bad moment.

Next time, don't visit Usenet in a bad moment.

Sybren