openssl not getting built

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    I'm building the July 20 snapshot on Fedora 1.

    openssl isn't getting built apparently.

    extconf reports:

    $ ruby extconf.rb
    === OpenSSL for Ruby configurator ===
    === Checking for system dependent stuff... ===
    checking for t_open() in -lnsl... no
    checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking for sys/time.h... yes
    checking for assert.h... yes
    === Checking for required stuff... ===
    checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
    === Checking for required stuff failed. ===
    Makefile wasn't created. Fix the errors above.
    [hal@dhcppc2 openssl]$ find /usr -name ssl.h 2>/dev/null | grep ruby | xargs ls -ld
    drwxr-xr-x 3 hal hal 4096 Jul 20 14:02 .

    I'm probably being dense here. What's going on?

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Hal Fulton

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Hal Fulton wrote:
    > I'm building the July 20 snapshot on Fedora 1.
    >
    > openssl isn't getting built apparently.
    >
    > extconf reports:
    >
    > $ ruby extconf.rb
    > === OpenSSL for Ruby configurator ===
    > === Checking for system dependent stuff... ===
    > checking for t_open() in -lnsl... no
    > checking for socket() in -lsocket... no
    > checking for unistd.h... yes
    > checking for sys/time.h... yes
    > checking for assert.h... yes
    > === Checking for required stuff... ===
    > checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
    > === Checking for required stuff failed. ===
    > Makefile wasn't created. Fix the errors above.
    > [hal@dhcppc2 openssl]$ find /usr -name ssl.h 2>/dev/null | grep ruby |
    > xargs ls -ld
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 hal hal 4096 Jul 20 14:02 .
    >
    > I'm probably being dense here. What's going on?

    Where is your ssl.h located? Mine's at /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h ... Is
    yours somewhere nonstandard?

    --
    Jamis Buck

    http://www.jamisbuck.org/jamis

    Jamis Buck, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Jamis Buck wrote:

    > Where is your ssl.h located? Mine's at /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h ... Is
    > yours somewhere nonstandard?

    That's just it -- it doesn't seem to be *anywhere*. And yet it would seem
    that I've built this in the past, as I have old openssl.so files on my
    machine.

    Duh??

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Hal Fulton

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Hal Fulton wrote:

    > Jamis Buck wrote:
    >
    >> Where is your ssl.h located? Mine's at /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h ... Is
    >> yours somewhere nonstandard?

    > That's just it -- it doesn't seem to be *anywhere*. And yet it would seem
    > that I've built this in the past, as I have old openssl.so files on my
    > machine.
    >
    > Duh??
    >
    > Hal

    if you use something evil, like rpms, you can easily have *.so files but not
    headers...

    tar.gz is my mantra.

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Jul 20, 2004
  5. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    >>> Where is your ssl.h located? Mine's at /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h ... Is
    >>> yours somewhere nonstandard?

    >> That's just it -- it doesn't seem to be *anywhere*. And yet it would seem
    >> that I've built this in the past, as I have old openssl.so files on my
    >> machine.
    >>
    >> Duh??
    >>
    >> Hal

    > if you use something evil, like rpms, you can easily have *.so files but
    > not
    > headers...
    >
    > tar.gz is my mantra.

    OK, but the ones I have are all under ruby directories... I'm pretty sure
    I've never installed Ruby via rpm.

    Where does ssl.h come from in the first place? Is there something outside
    the Ruby world I don't have installed?

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004
  6. Hal Fulton

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Hal Fulton wrote:
    > Jamis Buck wrote:
    >
    >> Where is your ssl.h located? Mine's at /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h ...
    >> Is yours somewhere nonstandard?

    > That's just it -- it doesn't seem to be *anywhere*. And yet it would seem
    > that I've built this in the past, as I have old openssl.so files on my
    > machine.

    Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you indicated in your original post
    that you tried:

    $ find /usr -name ssl.h 2>/dev/null | grep ruby | xargs ls -ld
    drwxr-xr-x 3 hal hal 4096 Jul 20 14:02 .

    Perhaps I'm being dense, but why were you grepping for ruby?

    Jamis Buck, Jul 20, 2004
  7. Hal Fulton

    Jamis Buck Guest

    Hal Fulton wrote:

    >> if you use something evil, like rpms, you can easily have *.so files
    >> but not
    >> headers...
    >>
    >> tar.gz is my mantra.

    > OK, but the ones I have are all under ruby directories... I'm pretty sure
    > I've never installed Ruby via rpm.
    >
    > Where does ssl.h come from in the first place? Is there something outside
    > the Ruby world I don't have installed?

    Ah, sorry Hal. That answers the question in my last email. I thought you
    knew where ssl.h came from.

    It comes from the OpenSSL library (http://www.openssl.org). You probably
    already have it installed--just rerun your find without the grep for
    ruby and see if it turns up.

    Jamis Buck, Jul 20, 2004
  8. Hal Fulton

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    >>> That's just it -- it doesn't seem to be *anywhere*. And yet it would seem
    >>> that I've built this in the past, as I have old openssl.so files on my
    >>> machine.
    >>>
    >>> Duh??
    >>>
    >>> Hal

    >> if you use something evil, like rpms, you can easily have *.so files but
    >> not
    >> headers...
    >>
    >> tar.gz is my mantra.

    > OK, but the ones I have are all under ruby directories... I'm pretty sure
    > I've never installed Ruby via rpm.

    ok. i meant installing openssl via rpms.

    > Where does ssl.h come from in the first place? Is there something outside
    > the Ruby world I don't have installed?

    ssl.h should come from the openssl install. however, if you installed a linux
    distro and didn't explicitly ask for headers (or devel, or whatever for that
    distro) you may or may not have installed headers. the defaults (for redhat
    at least) seems to be to NOT also install header files with packages. this
    really anoys me. the only solution is probably to

    - use rpms or similar to (re)install opensll (or is it openssh?) but ONLY if
    it also manages to install header files

    - install opensll from the tar ball - this will certainly install the
    headers

    another alternative is to simply download the tar ball of the EXACT same
    version of opensll you have installed and configure jamis' package to look
    there for it's header files. after it's built you can delete it.

    make sense?

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Jul 20, 2004
  9. Hal Fulton

    Ara.T.Howard Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:

    > Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but you indicated in your original post
    > that you tried:
    >
    > $ find /usr -name ssl.h 2>/dev/null | grep ruby | xargs ls -ld
    > drwxr-xr-x 3 hal hal 4096 Jul 20 14:02 .

    or

    $ locate ssl.h

    sounds like jamis hit the nail on the head with the other post - you probably
    do have it installed.

    -a

    Ara.T.Howard, Jul 20, 2004
  10. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Jamis Buck wrote:
    > Ah, sorry Hal. That answers the question in my last email. I thought you
    > knew where ssl.h came from.
    >
    > It comes from the OpenSSL library (http://www.openssl.org). You probably
    > already have it installed--just rerun your find without the grep for
    > ruby and see if it turns up.

    The grep for ruby was just a dumb mistake of course.

    I don't see ssl.h *anywhere* at all.

    However, I *thought* that I had it installed, for two reasons:
    1. I can use ssh and scp. Don't they depend on openssl? Or is
    there a lib distro without headers (rpm I guess)?
    2. And yet I have old openssl.so files which I believed came from
    building ruby; which would mean I'd have to have an ssl.h.

    *sigh*

    I guess I'll just grab it off the web and build it...

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004
  11. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Ara.T.Howard wrote:
    >> OK, but the ones I have are all under ruby directories... I'm pretty sure
    >> I've never installed Ruby via rpm.

    > ok. i meant installing openssl via rpms.

    I guess I assumed that if it was under the ruby tree, it didn't come directly
    from an openssl install.

    [more snippage]

    > another alternative is to simply download the tar ball of the EXACT same
    > version of opensll you have installed and configure jamis' package to look
    > there for it's header files. after it's built you can delete it.

    That seems a bit ugly, I'll just do it the "right" way. :/

    Thanks * 10**6,

    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004
  12. Hal Fulton

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:42, Hal Fulton wrote:
    > Jamis Buck wrote:
    > > Ah, sorry Hal. That answers the question in my last email. I thought you
    > > knew where ssl.h came from.
    > >
    > > It comes from the OpenSSL library (http://www.openssl.org). You probably
    > > already have it installed--just rerun your find without the grep for
    > > ruby and see if it turns up.

    > The grep for ruby was just a dumb mistake of course.
    >
    > I don't see ssl.h *anywhere* at all.
    >
    > However, I *thought* that I had it installed, for two reasons:
    > 1. I can use ssh and scp. Don't they depend on openssl? Or is
    > there a lib distro without headers (rpm I guess)?

    I think you might need to install the openssl-devel RPM:

    [tom@hal tom]$ rpm -qil openssl-devel | grep "ssl\.h"
    /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h
    [tom@hal tom]$

    Yours,

    tom

    Tom Copeland, Jul 20, 2004
  13. Hal Fulton

    Josh Huber Guest

    Hal Fulton <> writes:

    > However, I *thought* that I had it installed, for two reasons:
    > 1. I can use ssh and scp. Don't they depend on openssl? Or is
    > there a lib distro without headers (rpm I guess)?

    Well, yeah -- you don't need to have the headers installed for
    runtime. Presumably you are using a binary (rpm) version of
    ssh? Also, it appears as though openssh doesn't link against
    openssl anyway.

    $ ldd /usr/bin/openssl
    libssl.so.0.9.7 => /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libssl.so.0.9.7 (0x40027000)

    > 2. And yet I have old openssl.so files which I believed came from
    > building ruby; which would mean I'd have to have an ssl.h.

    Yeah, and you haven't removed the openssl-devel package, etc?

    I'd recommend just installing the RH openssl-devel package. Of
    course, I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, since I've
    been using Debian for a long time.

    Personally, I think splitting a package up into runtime/dev is a
    good thing, since it reduces clutter and more easily lets you
    have two versions of the same library installed.

    --
    Josh Huber

    Josh Huber, Jul 20, 2004
  14. Hal Fulton

    Hal Fulton Guest

    Josh Huber wrote:
    > runtime. Presumably you are using a binary (rpm) version of
    > ssh? Also, it appears as though openssh doesn't link against
    > openssl anyway.

    Interesting, I somehow thought it did. Add that to the list of
    things I've learned this afternoon.

    > I'd recommend just installing the RH openssl-devel package. Of
    > course, I'm not sure what the best way to do this is, since I've
    > been using Debian for a long time.

    That makes sense.

    Merci,
    Hal

    Hal Fulton, Jul 20, 2004
  15. Hal Fulton

    Dick Davies Guest

    * Josh Huber <> [0752 21:52]:

    > Personally, I think splitting a package up into runtime/dev is a
    > good thing, since it reduces clutter and more easily lets you
    > have two versions of the same library installed.

    reduces clutter???

    we are talking about the same RedHat, right? :)

    --
    The trouble with being punctual is that people think you have nothing
    more important to do.

    Dick Davies, Jul 21, 2004