OpenSSL problems with Ruby 1.8.4 and Windows - DLL linking

listrecv

When trying to use OpenSSL, I get an exception:
"OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError" - without any other info.

Everything worked fine - I was running 1.8.2 on Windows XP - but
upgrading to 1.8.4 on Windows seemed to break things.... (I used the
one click installer).

The README for 1.8.4 installer says that they upgraded the OpenSSL lib
- I wonder if it mught be using bindings created for one version, but
linking to a different DLL. If this is the case, how can I fix it?

Has anyone else encountered this? I found the following two similar
reports (although with different errors...), but no solution:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_frm/thread/7716d07d7c549c59
http://www.codecomments.com/archive327-2006-3-848842.html

listrecv

In general, how do you control which library ruby loads, when you've
installed more than one version?