OpenSSL Server and Client Problems

Discussion in 'C++' started by Patrick, Jun 27, 2007.

  1. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    Hello,
    I'm currently trying the OpenSSL Library, but I got some problems. I
    want to create a server and client application that communicate
    through the OpenSSL API, but this code doesn't work.
    I tried to understand the error messages but for me they aren't
    useful. And now I'm here and hope that somebody has experience and can
    tell me the error.

    This is the Code for the server:
    #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <winsock2.h>

    #include <openssl/crypto.h>
    #include <openssl/x509.h>
    #include <openssl/pem.h>
    #include <openssl/ssl.h>
    #include <openssl/err.h>

    #define MAXHOSTNAMELEN 100

    int startWinsock();

    int main ()
    {
    int x = startWinsock();

    if ( !x)
    printf( "%i\n", x );

    struct sockaddr_in host_addr;
    int size;
    int s;
    struct hostent *host;
    char hostname[MAXHOSTNAMELEN];
    char buf[1000];
    char request[1000];

    SSL_CTX *ctx;
    SSL *ssl;
    int err;

    printf("\nEnter Hostname: ");
    scanf("%s", &hostname);
    host = gethostbyname(hostname);
    if (host == NULL) {
    fprintf(stderr, "Unknown Host %s\n", hostname);
    return -1;
    }
    fflush(stdout);
    s = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
    if (s < 0) {
    fprintf(stderr, "Socket Error\n");
    return -1;
    }
    host_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
    host_addr.sin_addr = *((struct in_addr *)host->h_addr);
    host_addr.sin_port = htons(334);
    if (connect(s, (struct sockaddr *)&host_addr,
    sizeof(host_addr)) == -1) {
    closesocket(s);
    fprintf(stderr, "Connection Error\n");
    return -1;
    }
    SSL_load_error_strings();
    SSL_library_init();
    ctx=SSL_CTX_new(SSLv23_client_method());
    ssl=SSL_new(ctx);
    if(!ssl) {
    closesocket(s);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL creation error\n");
    return -1;
    }
    SSL_set_fd(ssl, s);
    err=SSL_connect(ssl);
    if(!err) {
    closesocket(s);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL connect error\nretval: %d\n",
    err);
    err=SSL_get_error(ssl, err);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL error: %d\n", err);
    return -1;
    }

    //fgets( request, sizeof( request ), stdin );

    if(!err) {
    closesocket(s);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL write error\n");
    return -1;
    }

    while(true)
    {
    sprintf( request,"Hallo, Welt!" );
    err=SSL_write(ssl, request, strlen(request));

    int read_size = SSL_read(ssl, buf, sizeof(buf) );
    if ( read_size > 0 )
    {
    buf[read_size]='\0';
    printf("Getting %d Bytes of Data\nData: %s\n", read_size, buf);
    }
    else
    {
    switch( SSL_get_error( ssl, read_size ) )
    {
    case SSL_ERROR_ZERO_RETURN:
    printf( "ZERO" );
    break;

    case SSL_ERROR_NONE:
    printf( "No Error" );
    break;

    case SSL_ERROR_SSL:
    printf( "SSL ERROR" );
    break;
    }
    break;
    }
    Sleep(1);
    }

    SSL_shutdown(ssl);
    SSL_free(ssl);
    SSL_CTX_free(ctx);
    fflush(stdout);
    closesocket(s);
    return 0;
    }

    int startWinsock()
    {
    WSADATA wsa;
    return WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,0),&wsa);
    }

    And this for the client:
    #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

    #include <windows.h>
    #include <winsock.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    #include <openssl/crypto.h>
    #include <openssl/x509.h>
    #include <openssl/pem.h>
    #include <openssl/ssl.h>
    #include <openssl/err.h>

    //Prototypen
    int startWinsock(void);

    int main()
    {
    long rc;
    SOCKET acceptSocket;
    SOCKET connectedSocket = NULL;
    SOCKADDR_IN addr;
    char buf[1024];
    char buf2[1024];

    SSL_CTX *ctx;
    SSL *ssl;
    int err;

    // Winsock starten
    rc=startWinsock();
    if(rc!=0)
    {
    printf("Fehler: startWinsock, fehler code: %d\n",rc);
    return 1;
    }
    else
    {
    printf("Winsock gestartet!\n");
    }

    // Socket erstellen
    acceptSocket=socket(AF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0);
    if(acceptSocket==INVALID_SOCKET)
    {
    printf("Fehler: Der Socket konnte nicht erstellt werden, fehler
    code: %d\n",WSAGetLastError());
    return 1;
    }
    else
    {
    printf("Socket erstellt!\n");
    }

    // Socket binden
    memset(&addr,0,sizeof(SOCKADDR_IN));
    addr.sin_family=AF_INET;
    addr.sin_port=htons(334);
    addr.sin_addr.s_addr=INADDR_ANY;
    rc=bind(acceptSocket,(SOCKADDR*)&addr,sizeof(SOCKADDR_IN));
    if(rc==SOCKET_ERROR)
    {
    printf("Fehler: bind, fehler code: %d\n",WSAGetLastError());
    return 1;
    }
    else
    {
    printf("Socket an port gebunden\n");
    }

    // In den listen Modus
    rc=listen(acceptSocket,10);
    if(rc==SOCKET_ERROR)
    {
    printf("Fehler: listen, fehler code: %d\n",WSAGetLastError());
    return 1;
    }
    else
    {
    printf("acceptSocket ist im listen Modus....\n");
    }

    // Verbindung annehmen
    connectedSocket=accept(acceptSocket,NULL,NULL);
    if(connectedSocket==INVALID_SOCKET)
    {
    printf("Fehler: accept, fehler code: %d\n",WSAGetLastError());
    return 1;
    }
    else
    {
    printf("Neue Verbindung wurde akzeptiert!\n");
    }

    SSL_load_error_strings();
    SSL_library_init();
    ctx=SSL_CTX_new(SSLv23_server_method());
    ssl=SSL_new(ctx);
    if(!ssl) {
    closesocket(connectedSocket);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL creation error\n");
    return -1;
    }
    SSL_set_fd(ssl, connectedSocket);
    err=SSL_accept(ssl);
    if(!err) {
    closesocket(connectedSocket);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL accept error\nretval: %d\n",
    err);
    err=SSL_get_error(ssl, err);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL error: %d\n", err);
    return -1;
    }

    // Daten austauschen
    while(true)
    {
    int read_size = SSL_read(ssl, buf, sizeof(buf) );
    if ( read_size > 0 )
    {
    buf[read_size]='\0';
    printf("Getting %d Bytes of Data\nData: %s\n", read_size, buf);
    }
    //else break;

    sprintf( buf2,"Du mich auch %s\r\n", "x" );
    err=SSL_write(ssl, buf2, strlen(buf2));
    if(!err) {
    closesocket(connectedSocket);
    fprintf(stderr, "SSL write error\n");
    return -1;
    }

    Sleep(1000);
    }
    SSL_shutdown(ssl);
    SSL_free(ssl);
    SSL_CTX_free(ctx);
    fflush(stdout);
    closesocket(acceptSocket);
    closesocket(connectedSocket);
    WSACleanup();
    return 0;
    }

    int startWinsock(void)
    {
    WSADATA wsa;
    return WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(2,0),&wsa);
    }

    I hope you can help me to find the error.

    Thank you very much.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Jun 27, 2007

  2. Patrick

    BobR Guest

    Patrick <> wrote in message...
    > Hello,
    > I'm currently trying the OpenSSL Library, but I got some problems.
    > <snip>. And now I'm here and hope that somebody has experience and can
    > tell me the error.
    >
    > This is the Code for the server:
    > #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

    You're in trouble right out of the gate. An underline followed by a capital
    letter is not good, reserved to the implementation.

    #include <cstdio> // > #include <stdio.h>

    // > #include <winsock2.h> // non-standard

    > #include <openssl/crypto.h>
    > #include <openssl/x509.h>
    > #include <openssl/pem.h>
    > #include <openssl/ssl.h>
    > #include <openssl/err.h>

    Well, your best bet is to try an 'OpenSSL' NG, they'll give you better
    answers.
    ( And/Or, a windows NG. ( hint: <winsock2.h>).
    Be sure to tell them the errors (first 3 should do, indicate line numbers),
    and/or describe what it's doing and what you wanted/expected. "but this code
    doesn't work" does not tell anything about your problem.

    Most of your code looks like 'C' (which may be valid in 'C++') to me. You
    should use the 'C++' 'features' which may improve your development time and
    make life easier.

    The FAQ has some suggestions for other NewsGroups to try:
    FAQ: http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    If you want help here, reduce your code to the minimum that exhibits the
    problem, remove all openssl and windows stuff, and repost (with your
    errors).

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Jun 28, 2007

  3. BobR wrote:
    > Patrick <> wrote in message...
    >> Hello,
    >> I'm currently trying the OpenSSL Library, but I got some problems.
    >> <snip>. And now I'm here and hope that somebody has experience and can
    >> tell me the error.
    >>
    >> This is the Code for the server:
    >> #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

    > You're in trouble right out of the gate. An underline followed by a capital
    > letter is not good, reserved to the implementation.

    Yes and the meaning of that particular macro is defined by the
    implementation. It would be better defined in the compiler arguments
    (-D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE) than the program code though.

    john

    John Harrison, Jun 28, 2007
  4. Patrick

    dasjotre Guest

    On 28 Jun, 01:15, "BobR" <> wrote:
    > > This is the Code for the server:
    > > #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

    > You're in trouble right out of the gate. An underline followed by a capital
    > letter is not good, reserved to the implementation.

    _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE is part of MSVC
    implementation. it is used to suppress warnings for
    use of CRT functions that MS deems dangerous.

    for openssl problems see mailing.openssl.users NG.

    regards

    DS

    dasjotre, Jun 28, 2007
  5. Patrick

    Patrick Guest

    On 28 Jun., 12:35, dasjotre <> wrote:
    > On 28 Jun, 01:15, "BobR" <> wrote:
    >
    > > > This is the Code for the server:
    > > > #define _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE

    > > You're in trouble right out of the gate. An underline followed by a capital
    > > letter is not good, reserved to the implementation.

    > _CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE is part of MSVC
    > implementation. it is used to suppress warnings for
    > use of CRT functions that MS deems dangerous.
    >
    > for openssl problems see mailing.openssl.users NG.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > DS

    It were already late when I posted that. Thanks for your answers. I
    will check that out :)

    Patrick

    Patrick, Jun 28, 2007