OpenSSL with One-click installer?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Robert Feldt, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. Robert Feldt

    Robert Feldt Guest

    Hi,

    My students are at it again:

    Seems that OpenSSL is not included with the one-click Windows
    installer. Maybe it should be? Or if we could make prebuilt
    binaries for it that can be installed with the gem command now
    included in the one-click installer. Anyway it's now a bit
    frustrating that it is built by default on linux and with cygwin
    (if openssl available) but is not included with the one-click
    installer.

    I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for
    openssl on windows is available; I seem to remember that it was
    avilable on http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/ but
    can't find it anymore. Any links or should I recommend them to
    compile it themselves via Mingw?

    Best,

    Robert Feldt

    Robert Feldt, Nov 16, 2004

  2. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:18:17 +0900, Robert Feldt <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My students are at it again:
    >
    > Seems that OpenSSL is not included with the one-click Windows
    > installer. Maybe it should be? Or if we could make prebuilt
    > binaries for it that can be installed with the gem command now
    > included in the one-click installer. Anyway it's now a bit
    > frustrating that it is built by default on linux and with cygwin
    > (if openssl available) but is not included with the one-click
    > installer.
    >
    > I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for
    > openssl on windows is available; I seem to remember that it was
    > avilable on http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/ but
    > can't find it anymore. Any links or should I recommend them to
    > compile it themselves via Mingw?

    I think that I opened this as a bug on the RubyForge project for the
    installer, because it's affecting me with a bit of GMail interaction I
    want to do.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Hello,

    Robert Feldt wrote:
    > I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for openssl on
    > windows is available; I seem to remember that it was avilable on
    > http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/ but can't find it anymore.
    > Any links or should I recommend them to compile it themselves via Mingw?

    The openssl module is included in the builds from
    http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/
    (lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32/openssl.so), but libeay32.dll and
    ssleay32.dll are missing.
    You can copy the two files from a binary distribution of openssl for
    windows, for example the one from
    http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html. The installer put
    both files in %WINDOWS_HOME%\system32, you have to copy them to a
    directory where ruby.exe can find them, e.g. to the bin folder of the
    intepreter.

    Roland

    Roland Schmitt, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Hi Robert,

    > Any links or should I recommend them to
    > compile it themselves via Mingw?

    Will VC++ Toolkit 2003 version work for you?

    > Best,

    Thanks,

    > Robert Feldt

    -- shanko

    http://my.yahoo.com

    Shashank Date, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Robert Feldt

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:18:17 +0900, Robert Feldt
    > <> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My students are at it again:
    > >
    > > Seems that OpenSSL is not included with the one-click Windows
    > > installer. Maybe it should be? Or if we could make prebuilt
    > > binaries for it that can be installed with the gem command now
    > > included in the one-click installer. Anyway it's now a bit
    > > frustrating that it is built by default on linux and with cygwin
    > > (if openssl available) but is not included with the one-click
    > > installer.
    > >
    > > I can't seem to find a place where a prebuilt extension for
    > > openssl on windows is available; I seem to remember that it was
    > > avilable on http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/ but
    > > can't find it anymore. Any links or should I recommend them to
    > > compile it themselves via Mingw?

    > I think that I opened this as a bug on the RubyForge project for the
    > installer, because it's affecting me with a bit of GMail interaction I
    > want to do.

    I think having out-of-the-box ssl support is important. I bumped your bug
    report to highest priority, and I'll try to get this included soon. I am, as
    usual, severely over-committed so if there are any gotchas from those who
    have installed OpenSSL on windows please pass them along.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Nov 16, 2004
  6. On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:22:20 +0900, Curt Hibbs <> wrote:
    > I think having out-of-the-box ssl support is important. I bumped your bug
    > report to highest priority, and I'll try to get this included soon. I am, as
    > usual, severely over-committed so if there are any gotchas from those who
    > have installed OpenSSL on windows please pass them along.

    I was playing with the Windows Installer scripts a while back in the
    interest of making a gentoo-like Windows Installer build -- it would
    take longer, but be more complete and up to date, grabbing files from
    sources (it would remove issues with some extensions being compiled on
    VC6 and others on VC7), and building them. I didn't get very far --
    too many other things to do -- but I had no problems building OpenSSL
    out of the source download, IIRC.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate:

    Austin Ziegler, Nov 16, 2004
  7. Robert Feldt

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    Austin Ziegler wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:22:20 +0900, Curt Hibbs <> wrote:
    > > I think having out-of-the-box ssl support is important. I

    > bumped your bug
    > > report to highest priority, and I'll try to get this included

    > soon. I am, as
    > > usual, severely over-committed so if there are any gotchas from

    > those who
    > > have installed OpenSSL on windows please pass them along.

    > I was playing with the Windows Installer scripts a while back in the
    > interest of making a gentoo-like Windows Installer build -- it would
    > take longer, but be more complete and up to date, grabbing files from
    > sources (it would remove issues with some extensions being compiled on
    > VC6 and others on VC7), and building them. I didn't get very far --
    > too many other things to do -- but I had no problems building OpenSSL
    > out of the source download, IIRC.

    Thanks for the OpenSSL report -- sounds like it should go smoothly.

    In he long term I agree with you, the building process for the one-click
    installer should really build everything from source. I think the current
    mix of source-builds and binary-installs was pragmatic (no pun intended) as
    a means of getting it out the door.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Nov 16, 2004