Opera and List-style-type?

Samuël van Laere

Does anyone know if Opera supports
list-style-types to begin with?

I've tried the following:
list-style: decimal outside none;
list-style: lower-roman outside none;

But neither work under Opera.
IE and Mozilla/Firefox display's them though.

Any solutions?

Regards,
Samuël

Michael Winter

Does anyone know if Opera supports
list-style-types to begin with?

Opera supports all of the list types specified in CSS 1. I haven't tested
that, but they state in the Specifications section that new CSS 2 types
are not currently available.
I've tried the following:
list-style: decimal outside none;
list-style: lower-roman outside none;

Opera supports both decimal and lower-roman types, amongst others, but it
does appear to object to your use of none. At that point, it reverts to
decimal. However, those rules are equivalent to:

list-style-type: decimal;
list-style-type: lower-roman;

which avoids the problem.

Mike

Anyone happen to know if Opera Software is aware of this bug?

Jukka K. Korpela

Michael Winter said:
Opera supports all of the list types specified in CSS 1. I haven't
tested that, but they state in the Specifications section that new
CSS 2 types are not currently available.

Oh? They seem to be supported, though, even lower-greek and
decimal-leading-zero.
Opera supports both decimal and lower-roman types, amongst others,
but it does appear to object to your use of none.

So it seems.
At that point, it
reverts to decimal.

Or bullets said:
However, those rules are equivalent to:

list-style-type: decimal;
list-style-type: lower-roman;

which avoids the problem.

Yes, and
list-style: decimal outside;
list-style: lower-roman outside;
work too, and so do these without the word 'outside'. So it's reall
'none' that creates a problem. I guess it's because list-style
is a shorthand for specifying 1, 2 or 3 three of list-style-type,
list-style-position and list-style-image, in any order, and processing
this gets a bit tricky since 'none' is a possible value for
list-style-type _and_ for list-style-image. So maybe Opera just gets
confused and doesn't know which one it relates to, or something.
Anyone happen to know if Opera Software is aware of this bug?

I dunno. I think you need to register in order to access their bug data
base, and as a matter of principle, I won't.

Lauri Raittila

in said:
Does anyone know if Opera supports
list-style-types to begin with?

Yes, it seems to have good support.
I've tried the following:
list-style: decimal outside none;
list-style: lower-roman outside none;

Why none? Leave it out, and it works like you want.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/about.html#shorthand
But neither work under Opera.

Yes, as it knows it CSS.
IE and Mozilla/Firefox display's them though.

I'm not sure if it is bug... It seems to be that value is correct, but
error handling is not defined...
Any solutions?

Read spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#propdef-list-style
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-list-style
| A value of 'none' for the 'list-style' property sets both 'list-style-
| type' and 'list-style-image' to 'none':

Samuël van Laere

Lauri Raittila said:
Read spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#propdef-list-style
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-list-style
| A value of 'none' for the 'list-style' property sets both 'list-style-
| type' and 'list-style-image' to 'none':

Offcourse you're right, i should have read the specs.
But still it won't work:
All of the following make Opera 7.54 crash on my W2K system:

list-style: decimal inside;
list-style: decimal;
list-style-type: decimal;
list-style-position: inside;

Neither of them make it even to the screen,
so for now i must asume Opera has a nasty bug.

When the value none is added it won't crash,
though it won't display any roman or decimal numbers.

Perhaps a newer version of Opera solved it,
maybe someone knows?

Regards,
Samuël

Lauri Raittila

in said:
Offcourse you're right, i should have read the specs.
But still it won't work:
All of the following make Opera 7.54 crash on my W2K system:

list-style: decimal inside;
list-style: decimal;
list-style-type: decimal;
list-style-position: inside;

Neither of them make it even to the screen,
so for now i must asume Opera has a nasty bug.

URL? Never seen the bug, and seen 2 messgaes related to this thread say
that they would work. But you might have somethign special that makes
things crash.

Michael Winter

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 00:03:31 +0300, Lauri Raittila

[snip]
Read spec:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#propdef-list-style
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-list-style
| A value of 'none' for the 'list-style' property sets both 'list-style-
| type' and 'list-style-image' to 'none':

[Taken from my post to opera.page-display, slightly abridged]

However, the specific example in the Recommendation is:

list-style: none;

In such a case, it is reasonable to assume that "none" should apply to
both -image and -style.

Whilst I'll admit that having to determine which value applies to which
property in a shorthand rule probably won't be achieved by elegant code,
it is feasible. In the rule:

list-style: none inside lower-alpha;

the first token, "none" could provisionally be applied to both -image and
-style properties as it is a legal value for either. The next token,
inside, is only valid for -position, so that can be applied without issue.
The final token, lower-alpha, is only applicable to -style, so its
provisional value of "none" is changed to "lower-alpha", and the
provisional value for -image is left as-is.

Similarly:

list-style: none inside url(...);

except that now, it is -image that has the unambiguous value.

If, as in your example, none is specified once, the provisional values for
both -image and -style will remain unchanged.

Mike

Samuël van Laere

Lauri Raittila said:
URL? Never seen the bug, and seen 2 messgaes related to this thread say
that they would work. But you might have somethign special that makes
things crash.

Its online on my website for now:
http://www.fortron.net/jessica/
the stylesheet:
http://www.fortron.net/jessica/style.css

Each time i connect to it with Opera 7.54 it crashes.
Mozilla and IE, no problemo.
Besides that list problem everything works fine in Opera :))

The HTML code:

<h3>Laatste nieuws:</h3>
<ul>
<li>Item 1</li>
<li>Item 2</li>
<li>Item 3</li>
<li>Item 4</li>
<li>Item 5</li>
</ul>

The offending CSS Opera code:

#nieuws {
background-color: #F5F5F5;
border-bottom: 1px dashed #808080;
border-left: 1px dashed #808080;
color: #333333;
float: right;
width: 200px;
}

#nieuws h3{
background-color: #FFF5EE;
border-bottom: 1px dashed #808080;
color: #778899;
font: 100% Courier, sans-serif;
margin: 0px;
text-align: center;
}

#nieuws li{
list-style-position: inside;
list-style-type: decimal;
}

Thanks in advance for looking into this problem.

Regards,
Samuël

Michael Winter

[snip]
Opera [...] state in the Specifications section that new CSS 2 types
are not currently available.

Oh? They seem to be supported, though, even lower-greek and
decimal-leading-zero.

That's what they say. From <URL:http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/css/>:

"Opera doesn't support the new list styles in CSS2 (e.g. Georgian
or Hiragana)."

I thought it supported some of the newer values when I made my previous
post, but I wasn't certain. I could have been confused with tests on other
browsers. Perhaps that document is out-of-date.
Opera supports both decimal and lower-roman types, amongst others, but
it does appear to object to your use of none.
[snip]

I guess it's because list-style is a shorthand for specifying 1, 2 or 3
three of list-style-type, list-style-position and list-style-image, in
any order, and processing this gets a bit tricky since 'none' is a
possible value for list-style-type _and_ for list-style-image.

Yeah. I gave my impression of the required parsing process in my follow-up
to Lauri.
So maybe Opera just gets confused and doesn't know which one it relates
to, or something.

It appears that Opera perceives

list-style: <type> none;

as invalid as it ignores the rule.

list-style: inside none;
list-style: inside circle;

both result in the marker moving inside the principle box, but

list-style: circle inside none;

doesn't.
I dunno. I think you need to register in order to access their bug data
base, and as a matter of principle, I won't.

From what I've been told, their tracking system is closed. As I've been
lucky enough to encounter people who've logged bugs when I've mentioned
them, I thought I'd try my luck again.

Mike

Spartanicus

Jukka K. Korpela said:
I dunno. I think you need to register in order to access their bug data
base, and as a matter of principle, I won't.

Opera's bug database cannot be viewed by non authorized people.
Reporting bugs does not require registration.

Toby Inkster

Samuël van Laere said:
Does anyone know if Opera supports list-style-types to begin with?

It supports all list-style-types in the CSS 2.1 candidate recommendation.
Those are:

disc | circle | square | decimal | decimal-leading-zero |
lower-roman | upper-roman | lower-latin | upper-latin |
none | inherit

It also supports the following list-style-types from the CSS 2.0 spec,
which were dropped:

lower-greek | lower-alpha | upper-alpha | armenian | georgian

It does not support:

hebrew | cjk-ideographic | hiragana | katakana |
hiragana-iroha | katakana-iroha

(yet)
I've tried the following:
list-style: decimal outside none;
list-style: lower-roman outside none;

I would suggest that Opera is getting confused about the 'none' which is a
valid value for both list-style-type and list-style-image. I would count
this as an Opera bug. However, it is easy to work around. Simply don't use
the shorthand.

list-style-type: lower-roman;
list-style-position: outside;
list-style-image: none;

Jukka K. Korpela

Michael Winter said:
[snip]
Opera [...] state in the Specifications section that new CSS 2
types are not currently available.

Oh? They seem to be supported, though, even lower-greek and
decimal-leading-zero.

That's what they say. From
<URL:http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/css/>:

"Opera doesn't support the new list styles in CSS2 (e.g. Georgian
or Hiragana)."

Oh, I seem to have missed those, probably because I never gave those
values much attention, due to virtually nonexistent support. But Opera
supports _some_ of the CSS 2 novelties, like those that I mentioned. For
further confusion, the CSS 2.1 draft seems to have dropped hiragana but
kept georgian. Yet another arbitrary decision.
I thought it supported some of the newer values when I made my

Yes, that seems to be the situation.

Mark Parnell

Opera's bug database cannot be viewed by non authorized people.
Reporting bugs does not require registration.

Sounds like a recipe for a myriad of duplicates.