    things up in IE or NS again!? Hehehe. Ah, browsers!

    Thanks in advance of course!

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Nov 20, 2003

  2. some dude somewhere

    Andrew Tang Guest

    "some dude somewhere" <> wrote in message
    > I created a website with in de body tag ...style="margin:0px" .... so
    > everything lines up without any margins. Works ok for IE and NS (Mozilla)
    > but in Opera there still is a little margin, so for example a web graphic
    > lines out of the total layout. As you might assume: 'ANNOYING!'

    On the Opera's technical document homepage, they use padding as oppose to
    margin for the body tag. Just do:
    style="margin:0; padding:0;"
    and you will be fine. There is no need to specify units for 0, as 0 is 0 in
    any units.

    Here's the page
    http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/
    under the 'Some Differences under Internet Explorer and Netscape' section.

    Andy

    Andrew Tang, Nov 20, 2003

  3. some dude somewhere

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "some dude somewhere" <> wrote:

    >I created a website with in de body tag ...style="margin:0px" .... so
    >everything lines up without any margins. Works ok for IE and NS (Mozilla)
    >but in Opera there still is a little margin, so for example a web graphic
    >lines out of the total layout. As you might assume: 'ANNOYING!'
    >
    >Is there a solution to fix this in Opera? And if so does this solution screw
    >things up in IE or NS again!? Hehehe. Ah, browsers!

    Opera has zero margins on body by default, but unlike other browsers
    it has non-zero padding.

    When you think about it this actually makes more sense - for any other
    element the background colour and/or image goes up to the outer edge
    of the padding, not the outer edge of the margin.

    So setting padding: 0; as well as margin: 0; will place the content
    flush with the edge of the window in Opera as well without making any
    difference to other browsers.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Thank YOU guys!!!!! Great news!

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Re: Opera and margin question // FOLLOW UP problem

    http://www.bambamstudio.nl/

    Another problem. I tried the Opera margin repair solution (padding:0 as
    well) but in Mozilla de navigation is still not right. In Opera and IE it is
    ok. Wierd!

    Any ideas!?

    TIA

    Eric

    some dude somewhere, Nov 20, 2003
  6. some dude somewhere

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    > http://www.bambamstudio.nl/
    >
    > Another problem. I tried the Opera margin repair solution (padding:0
    > as well) but in Mozilla de navigation is still not right. In Opera and
    > IE it is ok. Wierd!

    I don't think it's "OK" in Opera either. First, it doesn't show up at all
    until all images have loaded, something that was taking a very long time
    for me. Second, when it does show up, the text of the items is *tiny* and
    barely contrasts with the background.

    I'd lose that animated left column. It's right where people would first
    look for a menu; having motion in that particular spot is very distracting.

    Eric Bohlman, Nov 20, 2003