Opera and plugins

David Graham

Hi
I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep getting
a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open the
page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox or
IE. How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
have? and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?
thanks
David

Spartanicus

David Graham said:
I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep getting
a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open the
page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox or
IE.

This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).
How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
have?

Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
For example the Flash image on
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash
and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?

The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
number.

David Graham

Spartanicus said:
This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).

Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
For example the Flash image on
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash

The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
number.
Thanks - but I have right clicked on the link and nothing comes up about
version number, just options for opening in new page etc

David Graham

Spartanicus said:
This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).

Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
For example the Flash image on
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash

The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
number.
One other thing - when I just click on the link I get a blank page with this
URL
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/butterfly.swf
It's like Opera hasn't got a Flash Player associated with it - how do I get
it to use a Flash Player
many thanks
David

David Graham

Spartanicus said:
This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).

Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
For example the Flash image on
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash

The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
number.
Ok - viewed your site in Firefox and it's clear that what I see in Opera is
the text link, no butterfly picture. I am getting the result of the green
text in your sample code. What is wrong with my Opera?

David Graham

Spartanicus said:
This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).

Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
For example the Flash image on
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash

The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
number.
Solved, in the preferences I found a check box that doesn't seem to be
ticked by default (why not, dam annoying)
Advanced - Content - Enable Plugins

Spartanicus

David Graham said:
One other thing - when I just click on the link I get a blank page with this
URL
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/butterfly.swf
It's like Opera hasn't got a Flash Player associated with it - how do I get
it to use a Flash Player

Are plugins enabled in Opera? (F12)
If so, check the plugin path listed on the Help, About Opera page. Check
that directory for the presence of a NPSWF32.dll file (the plugin).

Btw, this question should have been placed in opera.general

Mitja Trampus

David said:
Solved, in the preferences I found a check box that doesn't seem to be
ticked by default (why not, dam annoying)
Advanced - Content - Enable Plugins

I beleive they ARE enabled by default and that you mistakenly turned them off.
[Not necessary to go to advanced options for that - also found in the F12 quickmenu, where
Spartanicus explicitly told you to look]

David Graham

Mitja Trampus said:
David said:
Solved, in the preferences I found a check box that doesn't seem to be
ticked by default (why not, dam annoying)
Advanced - Content - Enable Plugins

I beleive they ARE enabled by default and that you mistakenly turned them off.
[Not necessary to go to advanced options for that - also found in the F12 quickmenu, where
Spartanicus explicitly told you to look]

Yes, maybe your right. I replied before I had received Spartanicus post,
hence the reason I didn't know about the F12.
bye
David