    have? and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?
    thanks
    David
    David Graham, Apr 21, 2006

  2. David Graham

    Spartanicus Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote:

    >I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep getting
    >a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open the
    >page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox or
    >IE.

    This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
    might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).

    >How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
    >have?

    Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
    version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
    macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
    For example the Flash image on
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash

    >and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?

    The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
    number.

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Apr 21, 2006

  3. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "Spartanicus" <> wrote in message
    > "David Graham" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep

    getting
    > >a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open

    the
    > >page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox

    or
    > >IE.

    > This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
    > might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).
    >
    > >How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
    > >have?

    > Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
    > version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
    > macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
    > For example the Flash image on
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash
    >
    > >and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?

    > The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
    > number.

    Thanks - but I have right clicked on the link and nothing comes up about
    version number, just options for opening in new page etc
    David Graham, Apr 21, 2006
  4. David Graham

    > "David Graham" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep

    getting
    > >a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open

    the
    > >page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox

    or
    > >IE.

    > This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
    > might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).
    >
    > >How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
    > >have?

    > Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
    > version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
    > macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
    > For example the Flash image on
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash
    >
    > >and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?

    > The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
    > number.

    One other thing - when I just click on the link I get a blank page with this
    URL
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/butterfly.swf
    It's like Opera hasn't got a Flash Player associated with it - how do I get
    it to use a Flash Player
    many thanks
    David
    David Graham, Apr 21, 2006
  5. David Graham

    > "David Graham" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep

    getting
    > >a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open

    the
    > >page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox

    or
    > >IE.

    > This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
    > might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).
    >
    > >How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
    > >have?

    > Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
    > version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
    > macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
    > For example the Flash image on
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash
    >
    > >and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?

    > The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
    > number.

    Ok - viewed your site in Firefox and it's clear that what I see in Opera is
    the text link, no butterfly picture. I am getting the result of the green
    text in your sample code. What is wrong with my Opera?
    David Graham, Apr 21, 2006
  6. David Graham

    > "David Graham" <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have the latest Opera 8.54 and the latest Flash Player but I keep

    getting
    > >a notice that this web page requires the latest Flash Player when I open

    the
    > >page in Opera. This does not occur if I look at the same page in Firefox

    or
    > >IE.

    > This is usually caused by dumb detection by the site in question, you
    > might be able to circumvent it by IDing as IE or Mozilla (press F12).
    >
    > >How do I find out the version of the Flash Player that Opera thinks I
    > >have?

    > Right click on a Flash object on a web page, it will display the major
    > version number on the menu, clicking that entry takes you to a
    > macromedia page that identifies the minor version numbering.
    > For example the Flash image on
    > http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#flash
    >
    > >and how do I get it to recognise that I have the latest Flash Player?

    > The Macromedia page also lists the latest available plugin version
    > number.

    Solved, in the preferences I found a check box that doesn't seem to be
    ticked by default (why not, dam annoying)
    Advanced - Content - Enable Plugins
    David Graham, Apr 21, 2006
  7. David Graham

    Spartanicus Guest

    "David Graham" <> wrote:

    >One other thing - when I just click on the link I get a blank page with this
    >URL
    >http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/img/butterfly.swf
    >It's like Opera hasn't got a Flash Player associated with it - how do I get
    >it to use a Flash Player

    Are plugins enabled in Opera? (F12)
    If so, check the plugin path listed on the Help, About Opera page. Check
    that directory for the presence of a NPSWF32.dll file (the plugin).

    Btw, this question should have been placed in opera.general

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Apr 21, 2006
  8. David Graham wrote:
    > Solved, in the preferences I found a check box that doesn't seem to be
    > ticked by default (why not, dam annoying)
    > Advanced - Content - Enable Plugins

    I beleive they ARE enabled by default and that you mistakenly turned them off.
    [Not necessary to go to advanced options for that - also found in the F12 quickmenu, where
    Spartanicus explicitly told you to look]
    Mitja Trampus, Apr 21, 2006
  9. David Graham

    David Graham Guest

    "Mitja Trampus" <> wrote in message
    > David Graham wrote:
    > > Solved, in the preferences I found a check box that doesn't seem to be
    > > ticked by default (why not, dam annoying)
    > > Advanced - Content - Enable Plugins

    > I beleive they ARE enabled by default and that you mistakenly turned them

    off.
    > [Not necessary to go to advanced options for that - also found in the F12

    quickmenu, where
    > Spartanicus explicitly told you to look]

    Yes, maybe your right. I replied before I had received Spartanicus post,
    hence the reason I didn't know about the F12.
    bye
    David
    David Graham, Apr 23, 2006