    zooming the pictures up as well?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 29, 2007

  2. scripts.contact, Jul 29, 2007

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "scripts.contact" <> wrote:

    > On Jul 29, 12:10 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Can one up text size when browsing in Opera Mac 9.2 without
    > > zooming the pictures up as well?

    > http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=109895
    > http://my.opera.com/nicomen/blog/2007/05/12/zoom-text-only-in-web-pages-with-o
    > pera

    Not a browser I use in anger, it just is one I have and look at
    to test websites in briefly. So am not _wanting_ the feature I
    asked about, just curious to know if there was a simple control I
    was missing. Seems there is not.

    I must say, it is rather curious to require less than perfect
    sighted users to pay the price in fuzzy pictures. They have to
    jump through some sort of hoop to avoid this I gather from the
    links above...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 30, 2007
  4. dorayme

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    On Jul 30, 8:58 am, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    > "scripts.contact" <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 29, 12:10 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > Can one up text size when browsing in Opera Mac 9.2 without
    > > > zooming the pictures up as well?

    > >http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=109895
    > >http://my.opera.com/nicomen/blog/2007/05/12/zoom-text-only-in-web-pag...
    > > pera

    > Not a browser I use in anger, it just is one I have and look at
    > to test websites in briefly. So am not _wanting_ the feature I
    > asked about, just curious to know if there was a simple control I
    > was missing. Seems there is not.
    >
    > I must say, it is rather curious to require less than perfect
    > sighted users to pay the price in fuzzy pictures. They have to
    > jump through some sort of hoop to avoid this I gather from the
    > links above...
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Not really much of a hoop in practice. Users just set a minimum font
    size size (Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Fonts, then type a number
    in a box) and it's done forever.
    I like Opera and have used it as my main browser for years.
    I always design in Opera, then check in Moz and then cross my fingers
    and fire up IE; this on the basis of going from most to least
    compliant.

    Joe GKF
    http://graspages.com

    Joe (GKF), Jul 30, 2007
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Joe (GKF)" <> wrote:

    > On Jul 30, 8:58 am, dorayme

    > > I must say, it is rather curious to require less than perfect
    > > sighted users to pay the price in fuzzy pictures. They have to
    > > jump through some sort of hoop to avoid this I gather from the
    > > links above...
    > >
    > > --
    > > dorayme

    > Not really much of a hoop in practice. Users just set a minimum font
    > size size (Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Fonts, then type a number
    > in a box) and it's done forever.

    Yes, I gathered this from looking at the links provided by the
    FR. If I used it for browsing it might bother me because the size
    of the fonts wanted changes with my interest in a site and my
    tiredness levels throughout the day. But I cannot say for sure. A
    slight increase in image size might do and might even be
    acceptable and welcome for the pics.

    What would be great for this type of zooming would be more
    sophisticated image algorithms. Even in good image manip prgms,
    upping a pic beyond its natural limits, eg by bicubic adding of
    pixels is not exactly great... but I suspect better than what
    comes in free browsers... They used to say that bicubic was
    slower than linear, but these days there is no difference really
    in speed given modern processing power.

    I did look at software that claimed to be able to enlarge pics
    more respectably but I was not so impressed. It might just take
    an intelligent being to know what to fill in for when it cmes to
    enlarging. Reminds me of how some artists use small photos to
    paint huge photo realistic pics... now these don't look bad!

    > I like Opera and have used it as my main browser for years.
    > I always design in Opera, then check in Moz and then cross my fingers
    > and fire up IE; this on the basis of going from most to least
    > compliant.

    Recently did a fair new section of a website in mainly Safari
    (with a smattering of iCab) and after several weeks took a first
    look in IE on a Win box. Was pleasantly surprised to see only one
    little thing not quite the same in IE 6, a top margin on a pic.
    Perhaps I am unconsciously and in a cowardly way, avoiding all
    those types of layouts that need to be messed with a lot for IE.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 30, 2007
  6. dorayme wrote:

    > What would be great for this type of zooming would be more
    > sophisticated image algorithms.

    Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images" setting is
    switched on -- I'm not sure whether this is the default or not -- it
    wasn't when I first noticed it (circa Opera 5), but might be now that the
    average processor speed has increased.

    When switched off, image resizing looks shit, like it does in other
    browsers; when on, it's noticeably improved, though still not to the
    standard of graphics programs like the GIMP.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 40 days, 10:39.]

    demiblog 0.2.2 Released
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/07/29/demiblog-0.2.2/

    Toby A Inkster, Jul 31, 2007
  7. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <5n.co.uk>,
    Toby A Inkster <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > What would be great for this type of zooming would be more
    > > sophisticated image algorithms.

    > Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images" setting is
    > switched on -- I'm not sure whether this is the default or not -- it
    > wasn't when I first noticed it (circa Opera 5), but might be now that the
    > average processor speed has increased.
    >
    > When switched off, image resizing looks shit, like it does in other
    > browsers; when on, it's noticeably improved, though still not to the
    > standard of graphics programs like the GIMP.

    Well, I'll be damned, there are so many ways to configure this
    browser! I can see why some people have been so keen on it.

    I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for
    the issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone
    might at least provide a clue. Under what letter in the
    alphabetically ordered list?

    (btw, what is "Special effects"?)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jul 31, 2007
  8. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    <> writing in

    >> Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images"
    >> setting is switched on -- I'm not sure whether this is the default or
    >> not -- it wasn't when I first noticed it (circa Opera 5), but might
    >> be now that the average processor speed has increased.

    > I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for
    > the issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone
    > might at least provide a clue. Under what letter in the
    > alphabetically ordered list?

    Put it in the search box at the top, and it will find it for you.

    > (btw, what is "Special effects"?)

    It has something to do with the skin, but I'm still not sure what it
    does. I'm using Wiki skin, and I didn't see any difference.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, Aug 1, 2007
  9. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns997EF2E5C8685arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
    Adrienne Boswell <> wrote:

    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
    > <> writing in
    >
    > >> Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images"
    > >> setting is switched on -- I'm not sure whether this is the default or
    > >> not -- it wasn't when I first noticed it (circa Opera 5), but might
    > >> be now that the average processor speed has increased.

    > > I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for
    > > the issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone
    > > might at least provide a clue. Under what letter in the
    > > alphabetically ordered list?
    > >

    > Put it in the search box at the top, and it will find it for you.

    Put what in the search box? "Interpolate images". I have already
    put opera:config and was awestruck by the options. What does
    anyone want for another teensy weensy little clue? I can be
    generous and write a special rave just for the clue provider. But
    only, like any reward in the hunt for a criminal, if it leads to
    a conviction.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 1, 2007
  10. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > It has something to do with the skin, but I'm still not sure what it
    > does. I'm using Wiki skin, and I didn't see any difference.

    Back in Opera 7, I noticed a difference, but in Opera 9.2, I can't seem to
    see any difference at all. It used to enable the glow effect you get by
    rolling over buttons on the browser toolbars. Perhaps now it only has
    effect for particular skins.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 41 days, 12:30.]

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 1, 2007
  11. Adrienne Boswell wrote:

    > It has something to do with the skin, but I'm still not sure what it
    > does. I'm using Wiki skin, and I didn't see any difference.

    I spoke too soon -- yes, it does still do something.

    When special effects are enabled, the glow effect fades in better.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 41 days, 12:34.]

    Toby A Inkster, Aug 1, 2007
  12. dorayme wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    >> Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images" ...

    > I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for the
    > issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone might at
    > least provide a clue. Under what letter in the alphabetically ordered
    > list?

    It's under "Multimedia."

    Hint:
    click "Show All"
    press Ctrl-F
    search page for "Interpolate Images"

    > (btw, what is "Special effects"?)

    Those which are not "Normal effects." ;-)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 1, 2007
  13. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <1FZri.387695$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > Toby A Inkster <> wrote:
    > >> Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images" ...

    > > I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for the
    > > issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone might at
    > > least provide a clue. Under what letter in the alphabetically ordered
    > > list?

    > It's under "Multimedia."
    >
    > Hint:
    > click "Show All"
    > press Ctrl-F
    > search page for "Interpolate Images"

    Thanks, yes, mine is ticked by default. Your clue was too
    explicit. It made it too easy to find and I was not at all
    pleased. If I get up early to work, as I often do, I expect to be
    bamboozled before I have finished my cup of tea. Today I was not.
    I feel slightly uncomfortable when I am not feeling aggravated in
    some respect.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 1, 2007