Opera and text size when browsing

dorayme

Can one up text size when browsing in Opera Mac 9.2 without
zooming the pictures up as well?

dorayme

"scripts.contact said:

Not a browser I use in anger, it just is one I have and look at
to test websites in briefly. So am not _wanting_ the feature I
asked about, just curious to know if there was a simple control I
was missing. Seems there is not.

I must say, it is rather curious to require less than perfect
sighted users to pay the price in fuzzy pictures. They have to
jump through some sort of hoop to avoid this I gather from the
links above...

Joe (GKF)

Not a browser I use in anger, it just is one I have and look at
to test websites in briefly. So am not _wanting_ the feature I
asked about, just curious to know if there was a simple control I
was missing. Seems there is not.

I must say, it is rather curious to require less than perfect
sighted users to pay the price in fuzzy pictures. They have to
jump through some sort of hoop to avoid this I gather from the
links above...

Not really much of a hoop in practice. Users just set a minimum font
size size (Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Fonts, then type a number
in a box) and it's done forever.
I like Opera and have used it as my main browser for years.
I always design in Opera, then check in Moz and then cross my fingers
and fire up IE; this on the basis of going from most to least
compliant.

Joe GKF
http://graspages.com

dorayme

"Joe (GKF) said:
On Jul 30, 8:58 am, dorayme

Not really much of a hoop in practice. Users just set a minimum font
size size (Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Fonts, then type a number
in a box) and it's done forever.

Yes, I gathered this from looking at the links provided by the
FR. If I used it for browsing it might bother me because the size
of the fonts wanted changes with my interest in a site and my
tiredness levels throughout the day. But I cannot say for sure. A
slight increase in image size might do and might even be
acceptable and welcome for the pics.

What would be great for this type of zooming would be more
sophisticated image algorithms. Even in good image manip prgms,
upping a pic beyond its natural limits, eg by bicubic adding of
pixels is not exactly great... but I suspect better than what
comes in free browsers... They used to say that bicubic was
slower than linear, but these days there is no difference really
in speed given modern processing power.

I did look at software that claimed to be able to enlarge pics
more respectably but I was not so impressed. It might just take
an intelligent being to know what to fill in for when it cmes to
enlarging. Reminds me of how some artists use small photos to
paint huge photo realistic pics... now these don't look bad!
I like Opera and have used it as my main browser for years.
I always design in Opera, then check in Moz and then cross my fingers
and fire up IE; this on the basis of going from most to least
compliant.

Recently did a fair new section of a website in mainly Safari
(with a smattering of iCab) and after several weeks took a first
look in IE on a Win box. Was pleasantly surprised to see only one
little thing not quite the same in IE 6, a top margin on a pic.
Perhaps I am unconsciously and in a cowardly way, avoiding all
those types of layouts that need to be messed with a lot for IE.

Toby A Inkster

dorayme said:
What would be great for this type of zooming would be more
sophisticated image algorithms.

Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images" setting is
switched on -- I'm not sure whether this is the default or not -- it
wasn't when I first noticed it (circa Opera 5), but might be now that the
average processor speed has increased.

When switched off, image resizing looks shit, like it does in other
browsers; when on, it's noticeably improved, though still not to the
standard of graphics programs like the GIMP.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 40 days, 10:39.]

demiblog 0.2.2 Released
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/07/29/demiblog-0.2.2/

dorayme

Toby A Inkster said:
Go to opera:config and make sure that the "Interpolate Images" setting is
switched on -- I'm not sure whether this is the default or not -- it
wasn't when I first noticed it (circa Opera 5), but might be now that the
average processor speed has increased.

When switched off, image resizing looks shit, like it does in other
browsers; when on, it's noticeably improved, though still not to the
standard of graphics programs like the GIMP.

Well, I'll be damned, there are so many ways to configure this
browser! I can see why some people have been so keen on it.

I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for
the issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone
might at least provide a clue. Under what letter in the
alphabetically ordered list?

(btw, what is "Special effects"?)

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for
the issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone
might at least provide a clue. Under what letter in the
alphabetically ordered list?
Put it in the search box at the top, and it will find it for you.
(btw, what is "Special effects"?)
It has something to do with the skin, but I'm still not sure what it
does. I'm using Wiki skin, and I didn't see any difference.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme

Put it in the search box at the top, and it will find it for you.

Put what in the search box? "Interpolate images". I have already
put opera:config and was awestruck by the options. What does
anyone want for another teensy weensy little clue? I can be
generous and write a special rave just for the clue provider. But
only, like any reward in the hunt for a criminal, if it leads to
a conviction.

Toby A Inkster

Adrienne said:
It has something to do with the skin, but I'm still not sure what it
does. I'm using Wiki skin, and I didn't see any difference.

Back in Opera 7, I noticed a difference, but in Opera 9.2, I can't seem to
see any difference at all. It used to enable the glow effect you get by
rolling over buttons on the browser toolbars. Perhaps now it only has
effect for particular skins.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 41 days, 12:30.]

Adrienne said:
It has something to do with the skin, but I'm still not sure what it
does. I'm using Wiki skin, and I didn't see any difference.

I spoke too soon -- yes, it does still do something.

When special effects are enabled, the glow effect fades in better.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 41 days, 12:34.]

demiblog 0.2.2 Released
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/07/29/demiblog-0.2.2/

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
I could not see after a minute what the relevant setting is for the
issue at hand. I might try again later or hopefully someone might at
least provide a clue. Under what letter in the alphabetically ordered
list?

It's under "Multimedia."

Hint:
click "Show All"
press Ctrl-F
search page for "Interpolate Images"
(btw, what is "Special effects"?)

Those which are not "Normal effects." ;-)

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
It's under "Multimedia."

Hint:
click "Show All"
press Ctrl-F
search page for "Interpolate Images"

Thanks, yes, mine is ticked by default. Your clue was too
explicit. It made it too easy to find and I was not at all
pleased. If I get up early to work, as I often do, I expect to be
bamboozled before I have finished my cup of tea. Today I was not.
I feel slightly uncomfortable when I am not feeling aggravated in
some respect.