Opera with Java?

Andrew Thompson

I just visited the Opera browser download page
<http://www.opera.com/download/>
using Opera 7.51 on Win XP.

Interestingly the 'Non-Java' option was
selected as default.

After starting the download the browser crashed
(bloody typical.. I visited Netscape's homepage
using an old NN and it crashed..) so I jumped
over to IE.

When I visited the page in IE, the 'Java'
option was selected.

What do you get on that page?

Or, if using Linux etc., what do you get on
the download page for your browser, 'Java' or
'Non-Java'?

Is it just that the Opera site recognized I
already had a Java enabled Opera and only
needed the update? If that is the case, it is
interesting they apply that level of subtlety
to selecting the appropriate download when
the the download itself fails to work in
their browser..

Sudsy

Andrew Thompson wrote:
Or, if using Linux etc., what do you get on
the download page for your browser, 'Java' or
'Non-Java'?
<snip>

No such option on the Linux page.

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote:

<snip>

No such option on the Linux page.

Tah.. I should have thought to check myself.

I notice the Linux download's are all under
6 Meg, no download size is listed on the
Apple/Mac page, though now I think about it,
Java is inbuilt to OSX, so no Mac browser
should need to plug Java in..

It was also only now that I noticed a little
'text box' on the right of the screen which
provides most of the information I am after..

"If you have previously downloaded Opera
with Java, you can download Opera without
Java."

That appears on all the pages I saw
irregardless of whether the download had
a Java option, so I suspect they are
concentrating on 'doze and providing a
minimal form of support for other OS's.

thufir.hawat

not sure I follow what you're asking, but opera doesn't use a plugin for
java, you enter the path for the jre directly. hence the jre and opera
are, or can be, seperate downloads. if have the jre you don't need to
download it again, of course. ?

HTH

Thufir Hawat

Andrew Thompson

not sure I follow what you're asking, but opera doesn't use a plugin for
java, you enter the path for the jre directly.

That sums it up nicely, thanks Thufir.

I suppose I was confused for a while with the
entire 'When will XX browser come with Java'
thing..

On Windows, both the major competitors to
IE, Mozilla/Netscape and Opera, come with
a 'Java/No Java' option, and IE itself is
shipped with no Java.

Andrew Thompson

not sure I follow what you're asking,..

It just occured to me ..*Linux*/Opera?

I have an applet that shows problems in
Win/Opera, and was wonderring if you might
check it in Linux/Opera? It's at..
<http://www.physci.org/test/lnf/fullwnd5.html>

I need some further test results of the level
of detail shown in the table on this page..
<http://www.physci.org/test/lnf/>

You need to resize the window, float the
toolbar, change the Look'n'Feel.. On
Windows, Opera shows rendering artifacts,
the applet does not resize properly and
sometimes shows parts of other open windows.

[ You do use Linux, right? ]

thufir.hawat

[..]

--
Andrew Thompson

linux redhat FC2 and opera 7.5.x, yes. jre1.4.x.

it does look a little odd, but hard to describe. after i went from the
/lnf/fullwnd5.html to /lnf/ and back, the fullwnd5.html version is is
about 5/6ths grey, when i click on food I only see part of the word
"pizza."

when i changed the look and feel from system to metal it wasn't full
window, but after a bit of scrolling it popped back to full window. now
it's not responding when i click on "metal."

the first time around there was "spreadsheet" of integers at the bottom of
the page, since going back and forth and back to fullwnd5.html those
numbers don't appear.

in the bigger picture, if this is uniquely an opera problem i might
suggest asking if it's a priority to fix it for opera now, or get other
things working. sorta akin to checking the validity of user input,
perhaps? OTOH I guess you're getting some problems across the board..

Thufir Hawat

Andrew Thompson

it does look a little odd, but hard to describe.

(chuckles) Those things you described, ..yes,
that's it, but I think it goes beyond 'a little
odd'. Unuseable might be a better word..

[ Imagine trying to use that for your banking,
the numbers would disappear when the table
vanishes and a cold chill runs down your spine..
"Where's my *money*?" ]
in the bigger picture, if this is uniquely an opera problem i might
suggest asking if it's a priority to fix it for opera now, or get other
things working. sorta akin to checking the validity of user input,
perhaps? OTOH I guess you're getting some problems across the board..

No, it works flawlessly in all other browsers
so far checked, on Win/Linux in any case..

Thank you, I will add the info. to the table..

Maybe I can embarrass the makers of Opera
into fixing their broken-ass browser.
....BWaaah Haaaah, haah, ha ha, haaaah, ha, ha....
[ I wish I could keep a straight face
when I'm sayin' sh*t like that.. ;-) ]

Frank

[...]

On the right side of the page, it reads:

With or without Java

If you have previously downloaded Opera with Java, you can download Opera
without Java. Otherwise, we recommend downloading the Java enabled
version. Both versions support JavaScript.

As for the subtlety of the page... it's not that hard to detect, and means
the difference of a 3.4 MB download vs a 16.2 MB download, which is
significant for both users and servers.

Wasn't able to replicate the crash though... just downloaded 7.54 just
fine.

-Frank

Steven J Sobol

Andrew Thompson said:
Tah.. I should have thought to check myself.

They probably assume you have OS X or are going to
download a JVM separately on Linux...

Andrew Thompson

Thanks for the further details Frank and Steven.

I think it pretty much clarifies the situation.

To sum up..
It was a silly question. Only windows offers the
Java/No-Java, everything else either has it inbuilt
or the user is expected to arrange Java.