Operation must use an updateable query

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dancer, Jul 10, 2007.

  1. dancer

    dancer Guest

    Using Asp.net 1.1

    Trying to learn updating an Access database. Copied code straight from an
    example. Received this error:

    Operation must use an updateable query

    The line in question was this:
    DBCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()

    I looked here: http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?QUICKDOC=287

    I gave full permissions on the Inet WWWRoot folder and on the mdb file.
    Still same error.

    The site above recommends modifying the Web.config file by adding <identity
    impersonate="true">, but I don't know which config file to modify. I have
    zillions on my computer.
    Can somebody tell me which?

    Or does somebody have an other solution?

    dancer, Jul 10, 2007

  2. On Jul 10, 11:53 pm, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > Using Asp.net 1.1
    >
    > Trying to learn updating an Access database. Copied code straight from an
    > example. Received this error:
    >
    > Operation must use an updateable query
    >
    > The line in question was this:
    > DBCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
    >
    > I looked here:http://imar.spaanjaars.com/QuickDocId.aspx?QUICKDOC=287
    >
    > I gave full permissions on the Inet WWWRoot folder and on the mdb file.
    > Still same error.
    >
    > The site above recommends modifying the Web.config file by adding <identity
    > impersonate="true">, but I don't know which config file to modify. I have
    > zillions on my computer.
    > Can somebody tell me which?
    >
    > Or does somebody have an other solution?

    Provide modify rights for the folder that contains the database (.mdb)
    file to the user account under which ASP.NET is running (usually,
    MACHINENAME\ASPNET) and ensure that sql query is working directly from
    Access IDE

    Alexey Smirnov, Jul 11, 2007

  3. dancer

    dancer Guest

    1. Where do I find the name of the user account under which ASP.NET is
    running?
    2. What do you mean by "Access IDE"?

    Thank you.

    dancer, Jul 11, 2007
  4. On Jul 11, 4:32 pm, "dancer" <> wrote:
    > 1. Where do I find the name of the user account under which ASP.NET is
    > running?
    > 2. What do you mean by "Access IDE"?

    Hi, if <identity impersonate="false"> ASP.NET runs under default local
    account named the ASPNET. You can change this account by configuring
    the <processModel> element in the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework
    \v2.0.50727\CONFIG\machine.config file. If impersonation is enabled
    (impersonate="true"), ASP.NET executes with the user identity. So, I
    think that you should give to the ASPNet account the modify
    permissions to the folder that contains the database file. Moreover,
    it could be that the query is wrong and it can be checked in the MS
    Access. START - Run - msaccess.exe

    Alexey Smirnov, Jul 11, 2007