Operation must use an updateable query

Guest

hiye. i've went through some technical article from http://support.microsoft.com and i didnt find anything i could use
i;m using access as my db and asp.net 1.1 as my language. winxp pro.
evertime i want to insert something into the db, i get this error Operation must use an updateable query..

thanks for your help

dhiva

Teemu Keiski

It is a permission problem.

http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=154273

--
Teemu Keiski
http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke

dhiva said:
hiye. i've went through some technical article from
http://support.microsoft.com and i didnt find anything i could use.
i;m using access as my db and asp.net 1.1 as my language. winxp pro.
evertime i want to insert something into the db, i get this error
Operation must use an updateable query...

Guest

thanks for the reply. i've read that before and it didnt help a bit. any other solutions?

Guest

Hi,

What Teemu Keiski had given as answer to you was correct.

You must be knowing that by default the virtual directories inside the inetpub/wwwroot directory will have only read property.

So lets say you have a folder named as DB and inside this you will be having your MDB file.

So when you try to do an update or insert on this you get that error since the MDB file is a read only file now.

Take out the read only permission either on the directory or the file, give a write permission for either the directory or
the file.

lemme know on this

Teemu Keiski

It does help, if you put the permissions in order, just take a look at
further on the forum thread (or post a follow-up question). ASPNET user or
the one you run ASp.NET with needs to have read/write permissions to the
directory where mdb file resides.