Operation timed-out downloading web service durning Add Web Reference - still no solution

Joe

I'm hosting my web service on a Windows 2003 box which is remotely located.
When trying to add a web reference to a C# project I get an error message
'There was an error downloading 'http://mydomain.com:port/webservice.asmx'
The operation has timed-out
(I've tried with and without using a separate port for the service)

The weird thing is the page does show up on the left side of the screen
listing the available methods but the Add Reference button is disabled.

The web service is accessible from a web browser such as IE using the same
URL and I can test the web service method using IE directly on the server
itself.

The service was working fine for several months but than stopped responding
to the application.

The server was upgraded to a DNS/AD server which is when I think the problem
started happening.

My dev machine is Win XP/SP2

-Joe

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Joe,

Wecome to ASPNET newsgroup.
From your description, you're encountering problem when try using the
VS.NET Add webreference function to create cilent proxy for a certain
remote webservice, and the problem is occuring after your server upgrated
to a DNS/AD server ,yes?

So based on the changing of your webservice hosting server, it's likely due
to the networking issue. Have you tried using the IP address of the server
to reference the online WSDL document and add it as webrefernce in VS.NET?
YOu can also try using the wsdl.exe utility to create proxy externally to
see whether it works.
Also, to confirm the networking issue, another means is to use IE browser
to view the WSDL description of the remote service (.....xxxx.asmx?wsdl
)and then save the document as a local xml file. After that , use wsdl.exe
for VS.NET add webreference to create the webservice proxy through the
local WSDL document.

Please feel free to post here if there're any other finding.

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Joe" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Operation timed-out downloading web service durning Add Web
Reference - still no solution
| Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:32:17 -0400
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.a
spnet.webservices

| I'm hosting my web service on a Windows 2003 box which is remotely
located.
| When trying to add a web reference to a C# project I get an error message
| 'There was an error downloading 'http://mydomain.com:port/webservice.asmx'
| The operation has timed-out
| (I've tried with and without using a separate port for the service)
|
| The weird thing is the page does show up on the left side of the screen
| listing the available methods but the Add Reference button is disabled.
|
| The web service is accessible from a web browser such as IE using the same
| URL and I can test the web service method using IE directly on the server
| itself.
|
| The service was working fine for several months but than stopped
responding
| to the application.
|
| The server was upgraded to a DNS/AD server which is when I think the
problem
| started happening.
|
| My dev machine is Win XP/SP2
|
| -Joe

Joe

Hi Steven,

If I use the IP address the web proxy will get created but calling a method
from a C# application returns 'The operation has timed-out'.

This service and methods were working fine before the upgrade. I removed the
DNS server but I still need to use the IP address to create the proxy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Joe,

So have you tried the samething through the wsdl.exe tool? Based on my
research, the WSDL.exe (also VS.NET add webreference) will use the
WebRequest component to download document /schemas from remote address.
Also you can try using HttpWebRequest to send request to the remote server
(some web pages...) through DNS name to see whether you'll encounter the
similiar problem.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
--------------------
| From: "Joe" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Operation timed-out downloading web service durning Add Web
Reference - still no solution
| Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:00:45 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Steven,
|
| If I use the IP address the web proxy will get created but calling a
method
| from a C# application returns 'The operation has timed-out'.
|
| This service and methods were working fine before the upgrade. I removed
the
| DNS server but I still need to use the IP address to create the proxy.
|
| Any other suggestions?
|
| Thanks,
| Joe
|
| | > Hi Joe,
| >
| > Wecome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| > From your description, you're encountering problem when try using the
| > VS.NET Add webreference function to create cilent proxy for a certain
| > remote webservice, and the problem is occuring after your server
upgrated
| > to a DNS/AD server ,yes?
| >
| > So based on the changing of your webservice hosting server, it's likely
| > due
| > to the networking issue. Have you tried using the IP address of the
server
| > to reference the online WSDL document and add it as webrefernce in
VS.NET?
| > YOu can also try using the wsdl.exe utility to create proxy externally
| > see whether it works.
| > Also, to confirm the networking issue, another means is to use IE
browser
| > to view the WSDL description of the remote service (.....xxxx.asmx?wsdl
| > )and then save the document as a local xml file. After that , use
wsdl.exe
| > for VS.NET add webreference to create the webservice proxy through the
| > local WSDL document.
| >
| > Please feel free to post here if there're any other finding.
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Joe" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Operation timed-out downloading web service durning Add Web
| > Reference - still no solution
| > | Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:32:17 -0400

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.a
| > spnet.webservices
| > |
| > | I'm hosting my web service on a Windows 2003 box which is remotely
| > located.
| > | When trying to add a web reference to a C# project I get an error
| > message
| > | 'There was an error downloading
| > 'http://mydomain.com:port/webservice.asmx'
| > | The operation has timed-out
| > | (I've tried with and without using a separate port for the service)
| > |
| > | The weird thing is the page does show up on the left side of the
screen
| > | listing the available methods but the Add Reference button is
disabled.
| > |
| > | The web service is accessible from a web browser such as IE using the
| > same
| > | URL and I can test the web service method using IE directly on the
| > server
| > | itself.
| > |
| > | The service was working fine for several months but than stopped
| > responding
| > | to the application.
| > |
| > | The server was upgraded to a DNS/AD server which is when I think the
| > problem
| > | started happening.
| > |
| > | My dev machine is Win XP/SP2
| > |
| > | -Joe
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Joe

In case anyone else reads this the way I fixed the problem was by removing
and than reinstalling ASP.NET through Add/Remove Windows components.