Operation timed-out downloading web service durning Add Web Reference - still no solution

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Joe, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I'm hosting my web service on a Windows 2003 box which is remotely located.
    When trying to add a web reference to a C# project I get an error message
    'There was an error downloading 'http://mydomain.com:port/webservice.asmx'
    The operation has timed-out
    (I've tried with and without using a separate port for the service)

    The weird thing is the page does show up on the left side of the screen
    listing the available methods but the Add Reference button is disabled.

    The web service is accessible from a web browser such as IE using the same
    URL and I can test the web service method using IE directly on the server
    itself.

    The service was working fine for several months but than stopped responding
    to the application.

    The server was upgraded to a DNS/AD server which is when I think the problem
    started happening.

    My dev machine is Win XP/SP2

    -Joe
    Joe, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Hi Joe,

    Thanks for your posting. Regard on this issue, I've noticed your another
    duplcated on in the

    newsgroup. I've posted my response there. If you feel it convenient that we
    continue to discuss in that thread, please feel free to post there.

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)
    --------------------
    | From: "Joe" <>
    | Subject: Operation timed-out downloading web service durning Add Web
    Reference - still no solution
    | Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 11:32:17 -0400
    | Newsgroups:
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.a
    spnet.webservices

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Oct 5, 2005

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    In case anyone else reads this the way I fixed the problem was by removing
    and than reinstalling ASP.NET through Add/Remove Windows components.

    Joe, Oct 31, 2005