opinion needed

azrael

id like to hear your opinion about something.
I just started using Prolog yesterday and i have my doubts about it,
but it seems to me something like object oriented. so i wanted to ask
you how usefull prolog is. Sure this is no prolog newsgroup so my
question is: because it seems object oriented, how important is it by
understanding python and improving my python skills. because i just
started it, i may bee totaly wrong or i missunderstood.

thnx

Grant Edwards

I just started using Prolog yesterday and i have my doubts about it,
but it seems to me something like object oriented.

Not in my experience, but I haven't used Prolog for 10 years.
so i wanted to ask you how usefull prolog is.

It's brilliant for doing predicate logic. It sort of sucks for
most other things.

Bart Ogryczak

id like to hear your opinion about something.
I just started using Prolog yesterday and i have my doubts about it,
but it seems to me something like object oriented. so i wanted to ask
you how usefull prolog is.

It's very useful for "Logic Programming" classes. Better pick would be
RDFS or OWL, and a logic engine of choice. There are Python
implementations.

Diez B. Roggisch

azrael said:
id like to hear your opinion about something.
I just started using Prolog yesterday and i have my doubts about it,
but it seems to me something like object oriented. so i wanted to ask
you how usefull prolog is. Sure this is no prolog newsgroup so my
question is: because it seems object oriented, how important is it by
understanding python and improving my python skills. because i just
started it, i may bee totaly wrong or i missunderstood.

OO? Prolog? Last time I checked it was much more functional if anything
else, good for searching solutions in problem-spaces via backtracking.
Certainly a concept one should get ones head wrapped around, if only to
have a new perspective.

No idea how you come to the conclusion it's OO though.

Diez

Carl Trachte

I first found out about Python's Natural Language Processing Toolkit on this
Georgia professor's web page:

http://www.ai.uga.edu/mc/

He is big on having his students use Prolog for natural language processing.
I'm not sure if your interest lies there, but that is one area where
(according to the professor), he likes to use Prolog, and sometimes Python
as well.

I'm very much a dilettante in the area of natural language processing, so
this a reference, not an opinion.

Carl T.