    Title: Python Power!: The Comprehensive Guide
    Author: Matt Telles
    Publisher: Course Technology
    Pub. Date: Jul 27, 2007
    Edition: 1st edition
    Binding: Paperback
    Pages: 508
    ISBN: 1598631586
    List Price: 34.99 USD

    The book on the publisher's website: <http://tinyurl.com/2dkhzg>

    And at BestBookDeal.com:
    < http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/compare/1598631586>

    Thanks,

    Dick Moores
    Dick Moores, Aug 14, 2007

  2. Dick Moores

    Guest

    On Aug 14, 7:05 am, Dick Moores <> wrote:
    > I'd appreciate opinions about this new Python book.
    >
    > Title: Python Power!: The Comprehensive Guide
    > Author: Matt Telles
    > Publisher: Course Technology
    > Pub. Date: Jul 27, 2007
    > Edition: 1st edition
    > Binding: Paperback
    > Pages: 508
    > ISBN: 1598631586
    > List Price: 34.99 USD
    >
    > The book on the publisher's website: <http://tinyurl.com/2dkhzg>
    >
    > And at BestBookDeal.com:
    > <http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/compare/1598631586>
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dick Moores

    I just got this book over the weekend. I'll start reading/skimming
    through it this week and hopefully remember to get back to you. By the
    way, why do you want to know?

    Mike
    , Aug 14, 2007

  3. Dick Moores

    Dick Moores Guest

    At 05:57 AM 8/14/2007, wrote:
    >On Aug 14, 7:05 am, Dick Moores <> wrote:
    > > I'd appreciate opinions about this new Python book.
    > >
    > > Title: Python Power!: The Comprehensive Guide
    > > Author: Matt Telles
    > > Publisher: Course Technology
    > > Pub. Date: Jul 27, 2007
    > > Edition: 1st edition
    > > Binding: Paperback
    > > Pages: 508
    > > ISBN: 1598631586
    > > List Price: 34.99 USD
    > >
    > > The book on the publisher's website: <http://tinyurl.com/2dkhzg>
    > >
    > > And at BestBookDeal.com:
    > > <http://www.bestbookdeal.com/book/compare/1598631586>
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Dick Moores

    >I just got this book over the weekend. I'll start reading/skimming
    >through it this week and hopefully remember to get back to you.

    Thanks!

    > By the
    >way, why do you want to know?

    If the experts like it, I'll buy it.

    Dick
    Dick Moores, Aug 14, 2007
  4. Yes, please post back to the list. I saw this book on Amazon, but
    there's no table of contents listed, nor is there one on the
    publisher's site.

    Thanks,
    Shawn

    On 8/14/07, James Matthews <> wrote:
    > i got to say that the best python book i bought was Core Python Programming
    > (2nd) by Wesly Chun! Aside for all the spelling mistakes and syntax errors
    > that there are i feel that the book really explained the language well for
    > someone coming from another programming language!
    >

    > On 8/14/07, Dick Moores <> wrote:

    > > >I just got this book over the weekend. I'll start reading/skimming
    > > >through it this week and hopefully remember to get back to you.

    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > > By the
    > > >way, why do you want to know?

    > > If the experts like it, I'll buy it.
    > >
    > > Dick
    > >

    > > --

    > http://www.goldwatches.com/
    > http://www.jewelerslounge.com

    Please read:
    http://milocast.com/2007/07/31/this-i-believe/
    Shawn Milochik, Aug 14, 2007
  5. Dick Moores

    Guest

    On Aug 14, 12:46 pm, "Shawn Milochik" <> wrote:
    > Yes, please post back to the list. I saw this book on Amazon, but
    > there's no table of contents listed, nor is there one on the
    > publisher's site.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Shawn
    >
    > On 8/14/07, James Matthews <> wrote:
    >

    > > i got to say that the best python book i bought was Core Python Programming
    > > (2nd) by Wesly Chun! Aside for all the spelling mistakes and syntax errors
    > > that there are i feel that the book really explained the language well for
    > > someone coming from another programming language!

    > > > Thanks!

    > > > If the experts like it, I'll buy it.

    > > > Dick

    > > > --

    > Please read:http://milocast.com/2007/07/31/this-i-believe/

    Here's an abbreviated Table of Contents...just chapter titles. The
    book's table of contents also lists section headers.

    Chapter 1: About Python
    Chapter 2: Python Language Overview
    Chapter 3: Tools
    Chapter 4: Data Types
    Chapter 5: Control Flow
    Chapter 6: Input & Output
    Chapter 7: Functions & Modules
    Chapter 8: Exception Handling
    Chapter 9: Object-Oriented Programming
    Chapter 10: Classes and Objects in Python
    Chapter 11: The Python Library
    Chapter 12: The GUI - Tkinter
    Chapter 13: The Web Server - Apache
    Chapter 14: Working with Databases
    Chapter 15: Putting It All Together
    Chapter 16: Python and Graphics

    Mike
    , Aug 14, 2007
  6. Dick Moores

    Guest

    On Aug 14, 1:43 pm, wrote:
    > On Aug 14, 12:46 pm, "Shawn Milochik" <> wrote:
    >

    > > Yes, please post back to the list. I saw this book on Amazon, but
    > > there's no table of contents listed, nor is there one on the
    > > publisher's site.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Shawn

    > > On 8/14/07, James Matthews <> wrote:

    > > > i got to say that the best python book i bought was Core Python Programming
    > > > (2nd) by Wesly Chun! Aside for all the spelling mistakes and syntax errors
    > > > that there are i feel that the book really explained the language well for
    > > > someone coming from another programming language!

    > > --
    > > Please read:http://milocast.com/2007/07/31/this-i-believe/

    > Here's an abbreviated Table of Contents...just chapter titles. The
    > book's table of contents also lists section headers.
    >
    > Chapter 1: About Python
    > Chapter 2: Python Language Overview
    > Chapter 3: Tools
    > Chapter 4: Data Types
    > Chapter 5: Control Flow
    > Chapter 6: Input & Output
    > Chapter 7: Functions & Modules
    > Chapter 8: Exception Handling
    > Chapter 9: Object-Oriented Programming
    > Chapter 10: Classes and Objects in Python
    > Chapter 11: The Python Library
    > Chapter 12: The GUI - Tkinter
    > Chapter 13: The Web Server - Apache
    > Chapter 14: Working with Databases
    > Chapter 15: Putting It All Together
    > Chapter 16: Python and Graphics
    >
    > Mike

    More on the subject...the writer is very conversational in tone and it
    makes for a light read in the first 1 1/2 chapters that I've
    completed. I've noticed a couple of sentence errors, but nothing in
    the code.

    He disses lambdas, which I haven't used for anything either. But I
    have seen good uses for them (particularly in Tkinter callbacks),
    although they don't seem to be as readable or usable as the rest of
    Python. For some reason, the author makes the claim that the term
    "Predicate" is "bandied about quite a bit in the literature" of
    Python. I have 17 or so Python books and I don't think I've ever seen
    this used in conjunction with Python...or in any of the docs I've
    skimmed. What the!?

    I'll keep you'all posted.

    Mike
    , Aug 15, 2007
  7. Dick Moores

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2007-08-15, <> wrote:
    > For some reason, the author makes the claim that the term
    > "Predicate" is "bandied about quite a bit in the literature" of
    > Python. I have 17 or so Python books and I don't think I've
    > ever seen this used in conjunction with Python...or in any of
    > the docs I've skimmed. What the!?

    The document searching facility reveals that the term is bandied
    about in five places in the standard documentation. These uses
    seem approriate and uncontroversial to me.

    These document functions accepting predicates as aruments:

    6.5.1 Itertools functions
    6.5.3 Recipes
    11.47 Creating a new Distutils command
    26.10.1 Types and members

    The following provides a few predicate functions (weird! I'd have
    never thought to look there for, e.g., ismodule):

    6.7 operator -- Standard operators as functions

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Neil Cerutti, Aug 15, 2007
  8. Neil Cerutti <> wrote:

    > On 2007-08-15, <> wrote:
    > > For some reason, the author makes the claim that the term
    > > "Predicate" is "bandied about quite a bit in the literature" of
    > > Python. I have 17 or so Python books and I don't think I've
    > > ever seen this used in conjunction with Python...or in any of
    > > the docs I've skimmed. What the!?

    > The document searching facility reveals that the term is bandied
    > about in five places in the standard documentation. These uses
    > seem approriate and uncontroversial to me.
    >
    > These document functions accepting predicates as aruments:
    >
    > 6.5.1 Itertools functions
    > 6.5.3 Recipes
    > 11.47 Creating a new Distutils command
    > 26.10.1 Types and members
    >
    > The following provides a few predicate functions (weird! I'd have
    > never thought to look there for, e.g., ismodule):
    >
    > 6.7 operator -- Standard operators as functions

    Module inspect also provides useful predicates (though I don't remember
    if its docs CALL them predicates;-).

    Alex
    Alex Martelli, Aug 15, 2007
  9. Hijack! Different book: (was: Opinions about this new Python book?

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:32:30 -0700, declaimed the
    following in comp.lang.python:

    > More on the subject...the writer is very conversational in tone and it
    > makes for a light read in the first 1 1/2 chapters that I've
    > completed. I've noticed a couple of sentence errors, but nothing in
    > the code.

    Hopefully it isn't quite as annoying as some of what I've found in
    the Turbogears book that recently arrived from Amazon. (Rapid Web
    Applications with TurboGears)

    I've so far found a couple of pages where editing rewrites of
    paragraphs left redundancies. Example -- section 4.3:

    second paragraph

    """
    .... We set up some variables, and then create a new /Bookmark/ object
    with the exact same syntax we used earlier in the chapter when we
    created our first bookmark through /tg-admin shell/.
    """

    sentence/sample code/next paragraph

    """
    This method sets up a few variables, and then creates a new /Bookmark/
    object using the exact same syntax we used earlier in the chapter when
    we created out first bookmark through /tg-admin shell/. ...
    """

    That's the most blatant, so far, but I've found a few other examples
    where a paragraph below a code sample basically restates the paragraph
    above it; and the paragraph above seems confusing because it reads as if
    it is commenting on prior material, not following material.

    It's as if the book had been first written using, say, "describe, show
    code", then edited by someone favoring "show code, explain" style... And
    the two versions were then merged by a third person... Hmmm, there are
    three authors...

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 15, 2007
  10. Dick Moores

    Guest

    Re: Hijack! Different book: (was: Opinions about this new Python book?

    On Aug 15, 12:52 pm, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:32:30 -0700, declaimed the
    > following in comp.lang.python:
    >
    > > More on the subject...the writer is very conversational in tone and it
    > > makes for a light read in the first 1 1/2 chapters that I've
    > > completed. I've noticed a couple of sentence errors, but nothing in
    > > the code.

    > Hopefully it isn't quite as annoying as some of what I've found in
    > the Turbogears book that recently arrived from Amazon. (Rapid Web
    > Applications with TurboGears)
    >
    > I've so far found a couple of pages where editing rewrites of
    > paragraphs left redundancies. Example -- section 4.3:
    >
    > second paragraph
    >
    > """
    > ... We set up some variables, and then create a new /Bookmark/ object
    > with the exact same syntax we used earlier in the chapter when we
    > created our first bookmark through /tg-admin shell/.
    > """
    >
    > sentence/sample code/next paragraph
    >
    > """
    > This method sets up a few variables, and then creates a new /Bookmark/
    > object using the exact same syntax we used earlier in the chapter when
    > we created out first bookmark through /tg-admin shell/. ...
    > """
    >
    > That's the most blatant, so far, but I've found a few other examples
    > where a paragraph below a code sample basically restates the paragraph
    > above it; and the paragraph above seems confusing because it reads as if
    > it is commenting on prior material, not following material.
    >
    > It's as if the book had been first written using, say, "describe, show
    > code", then edited by someone favoring "show code, explain" style... And
    > the two versions were then merged by a third person... Hmmm, there are
    > three authors...
    >
    > --
    > Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
    >
    > HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    > (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    > HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

    I have this book, but I haven't read it. However, I think the user
    reviews on Amazon complained quite a bit about the TurboGears book's
    writing and how it was pretty lousy. Even the code was broken. I look
    forward to seeing just how truly awful it is.

    As for this book, "Python Power!", I haven't noticed anything like
    what you describe. An example issue I've noticed is stuff like this
    sentence:

    "There are a few catches and caveats work mentioning, however"

    Obviously, "work" should be "worth". There are instances like that
    where a real editor should have caught it, but a Word Processor
    wouldn't.

    Mike
    , Aug 15, 2007
  11. Dick Moores

    Paul Boddie Guest

    On 15 Aug, 19:52, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:

    > Hopefully it isn't quite as annoying as some of what I've found in
    > the Turbogears book that recently arrived from Amazon. (Rapid Web
    > Applications with TurboGears)

    Is this the book that came out before TurboGears even reached 1.0,
    probably having diminished relevance now that there are 1.1 and 2.0
    releases being worked on? I'm very much in favour of book
    availability, and I pity the people writing Python books given
    continuous changes to the language and the associated recommended
    development practices as new features go in, but tracking a target
    prior to any kind of stable release seems a bit too ambitious,
    especially for a book in print.

    Paul
    Paul Boddie, Aug 16, 2007
  12. Re: Hijack! Different book: (was: Opinions about this new Python book?

    On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 04:21 -0700, Paul Boddie wrote:
    > [...] I pity the people writing Python books given
    > continuous changes to the language and the associated recommended
    > development practices as new features go in, but tracking a target
    > prior to any kind of stable release seems a bit too ambitious,
    > especially for a book in print.

    The book was co-authored by Kevin Dangoor, who is the principal
    developer of TurboGears. He probably had a pretty good idea of what the
    stable release was going to look like.

    --
    Carsten Haese
    http://informixdb.sourceforge.net
    Carsten Haese, Aug 16, 2007
  13. Re: Hijack! Different book: (was: Opinions about this new Python book?

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:21:07 -0700, Paul Boddie <>

    > Is this the book that came out before TurboGears even reached 1.0,
    > probably having diminished relevance now that there are 1.1 and 2.0

    Not sure -- I'd ordered it in January, but Amazon didn't ship it
    until a week ago; don't know if it was this, or the other book in the
    shipment that held it up.

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 16, 2007
  14. Dick Moores

    Steve Holden Guest

    Re: Hijack! Different book:

    Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:21:07 -0700, Paul Boddie <>
    >

    >> Is this the book that came out before TurboGears even reached 1.0,
    >> probably having diminished relevance now that there are 1.1 and 2.0

    > Not sure -- I'd ordered it in January, but Amazon didn't ship it
    > until a week ago; don't know if it was this, or the other book in the
    > shipment that held it up.

    JANUARY!?????? So much for Amazon's customer service. Or is it only
    February where you live?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Steve Holden, Aug 16, 2007
  15. Re: Hijack! Different book:

    On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:50:37 -0400, Steve Holden <>

    > JANUARY!?????? So much for Amazon's customer service. Or is it only
    > February where you live?

    No... It's Amazon's tendency to group shipments with multiple items
    -- especially if you set "SuperSaver" (free shipping)... They then tend
    to hold things until the last item in the set is released.

    I've got orders in place for books that won't be released until next
    spring...

    Tis so bad, I have a VisualCE database/form on my PDA to track the
    pre-orders so I don't accidentally buy a book in a local store...

    Dennis Lee Bieber, Aug 17, 2007
  16. Dick Moores

    Guest

    Re: Hijack! Different book:

    On Aug 16, 3:50 pm, Steve Holden <> wrote:
    > Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > > On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 04:21:07 -0700, Paul Boddie <>
    > > declaimed the following in comp.lang.python:

    > >> Is this the book that came out before TurboGears even reached 1.0,
    > >> probably having diminished relevance now that there are 1.1 and 2.0

    > > Not sure -- I'd ordered it in January, but Amazon didn't ship it
    > > until a week ago; don't know if it was this, or the other book in the
    > > shipment that held it up.

    > JANUARY!?????? So much for Amazon's customer service. Or is it only
    > February where you live?
    >
    > regards
    > Steve
    > --
    > Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    > Holden Web LLC/Ltd http://www.holdenweb.com
    > Skype: holdenweb http://del.icio.us/steve.holden
    > Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag the Internet
    > Many services currently offer free registration
    > ----------- Thank You for Reading -------------

    Yeah...The Python Power! book was supposed to be released months ago,
    so I ordered it 4-6 months ago, but it only shipped a week ago when it
    actually released. Admittedly, this has nothing to do with the
    TurboGears book.

    Mike
    , Aug 17, 2007