Opinions on keeping track of simple web stats with MS SQL Server/ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Utter Newbie, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Utter Newbie

    Utter Newbie Guest

    I know we have access to log files and web statistics can be pulled
    from those. But the guy who wants it built was thinking we should keep
    track of every time a page is hit seperately in MS sql server. He's
    thinking it would be better for clients to be able to tell how many
    page hits we're getting whenever they want - mainly concerned with
    advertising banners (how many views they are getting).

    I'm concerned about hitting the database for every page just to keep
    track of web stats that are already in the log file. Should I even be
    worried? I know SQL Server is built for speed but it kindof urks me
    because the stats are in the log files and it seems wasteful.
    Although, I figure we would really only be sending a count request (we
    wouldn't bother with IPs) - a simple stored procedure would bump up
    the count value for whichever page it was.

    But for the log file I'm not sure how you would even pull out the
    stats without some program like analog to put into MS SQL Server. How
    would you automate it without direct control of the server? Meaning we
    are using a virtual host. Is it even possible? I imagine it may be
    more trouble than it is worth but maybe someone has already
    encountered this problem?

    Utter Newbie, Jul 28, 2003