opinions on "Walls and Mirrors" ?

Richard McBeef

What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?
http://tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...

red floyd

What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?[link redacted]
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...

And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

Vladimir Jovic

red said:
What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?[link redacted]
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...

And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

It is not. The full name is:
Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
Edition) (Hardcover)

ps Yes, I was crazy enough to click the link... ;)

Richard Herring

In message
red said:
What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?[link redacted]
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...

And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

???

According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is

"Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
Edition) (Hardcover)"

which looks like C++ to me.

I've never encountered it, but the customer reviews are extremely mixed.

**Group User**

Dear Sir,

Data structure is about algorithms, ways to improve performance and
storage
One book will end its life just after a few years known,
Some writer names will last for years later on
Some will be quickly forgotten

Some people ask me whether I am angry after a loss of precious/
priceless things or tease over my own pain. I have got to tell that
they are complete iddeeeaaats to make such an obvious question. Of
course I am a human being, I have senses. Only thick skin animals
would say No or show laughing signs.
But such loss makes us all remember together forever.
I wish to find me again soon.

Andrew Poelstra

What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?
http://tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...

They used this in my course as well. I bought it but never
once opened it. (Nor did I even learn C++; my school was
kind enough to let me write psuedocode on tests. I never
once needed anything sembling OO for the course.)

So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or
reading /C Unleashed/ or trying comp.programming.

red floyd

red said:
What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?[link redacted]
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...
And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

It is not. The full name is:
Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
Edition) (Hardcover)

ps Yes, I was crazy enough to click the link... ;)

Oh. I went to Amazon and looked for that title, and only found the
Java version.

[EMILY-LATELLA]
Oh, that's very different. Never mind!
[/EMILY-LATELLA]

red floyd

In message
red said:
What are the opinions in this group
of this textbook?[link redacted]
I ask because this was the standard text
in my university's data structures course about 12
years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
worked with has heard of it and look down on
it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
Anyway, just curious...
And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

???

According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is

"Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
Edition) (Hardcover)"

which looks like C++ to me.
I don't follow tinyurl links on usenet.

Jorgen Grahn

.
So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or [---]

I've never really read Knuth, but IMHO that's an unusual advice to
people who haven't touched algorithms and data structures before.
Like Barbie would say: "Knuth is hard".

/Jorgen

Andrew Poelstra

So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or [---]

I've never really read Knuth, but IMHO that's an unusual advice to
people who haven't touched algorithms and data structures before.
Like Barbie would say: "Knuth is hard".

/Jorgen

The first page or so of each data-structure-related section
gives a theoretical overview of the structure, and I've always
liked his diagrams.

It is true that understanding his MIX code and doing his
exercises are very difficult, though. :)

Andrew