    worked with has heard of it and look down on
    it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    Anyway, just curious...
    Richard McBeef, Jan 28, 2010

  2. Richard McBeef

    red floyd Guest

    On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <> wrote:
    > What are the opinions in this group
    > of this textbook?[link redacted]
    > I ask because this was the standard text
    > in my university's data structures course about 12
    > years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
    > worked with has heard of it and look down on
    > it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    > Anyway, just curious...

    And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?
    red floyd, Jan 28, 2010

  3. red floyd wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <> wrote:
    >> What are the opinions in this group
    >> of this textbook?[link redacted]
    >> I ask because this was the standard text
    >> in my university's data structures course about 12
    >> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
    >> worked with has heard of it and look down on
    >> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    >> Anyway, just curious...

    > And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

    It is not. The full name is:
    Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
    Edition) (Hardcover)

    ps Yes, I was crazy enough to click the link... ;)
    Vladimir Jovic, Jan 28, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, red
    floyd <> writes
    >On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <> wrote:
    >> What are the opinions in this group
    >> of this textbook?[link redacted]
    >> I ask because this was the standard text
    >> in my university's data structures course about 12
    >> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
    >> worked with has heard of it and look down on
    >> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    >> Anyway, just curious...

    >And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

    ???

    According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is

    "Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
    Edition) (Hardcover)"

    which looks like C++ to me.

    I've never encountered it, but the customer reviews are extremely mixed.

    --
    Richard Herring
    Richard Herring, Jan 28, 2010
  5. Dear Sir,

    Data structure is about algorithms, ways to improve performance and
    storage
    One book will end its life just after a few years known,
    Some writer names will last for years later on
    Some will be quickly forgotten

    Some people ask me whether I am angry after a loss of precious/
    priceless things or tease over my own pain. I have got to tell that
    they are complete iddeeeaaats to make such an obvious question. Of
    course I am a human being, I have senses. Only thick skin animals
    would say No or show laughing signs.
    But such loss makes us all remember together forever.
    I wish to find me again soon.
    **Group User**, Jan 28, 2010
  6. On 2010-01-28, Richard McBeef <> wrote:
    > What are the opinions in this group
    > of this textbook?
    > http://tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
    > I ask because this was the standard text
    > in my university's data structures course about 12
    > years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
    > worked with has heard of it and look down on
    > it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    > Anyway, just curious...

    They used this in my course as well. I bought it but never
    once opened it. (Nor did I even learn C++; my school was
    kind enough to let me write psuedocode on tests. I never
    once needed anything sembling OO for the course.)

    So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
    learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or
    reading /C Unleashed/ or trying comp.programming.
    Andrew Poelstra, Jan 28, 2010
  7. Richard McBeef

    red floyd Guest

    On Jan 28, 9:13 am, Vladimir Jovic <> wrote:
    > red floyd wrote:
    > > On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <> wrote:
    > >> What are the opinions in this group
    > >> of this textbook?[link redacted]
    > >> I ask because this was the standard text
    > >> in my university's data structures course about 12
    > >> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
    > >> worked with has heard of it and look down on
    > >> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    > >> Anyway, just curious...

    > > And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

    > It is not. The full name is:
    > Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
    > Edition) (Hardcover)
    >
    > ps Yes, I was crazy enough to click the link... ;)

    Oh. I went to Amazon and looked for that title, and only found the
    Java version.

    [EMILY-LATELLA]
    Oh, that's very different. Never mind!
    [/EMILY-LATELLA]
    red floyd, Jan 29, 2010
  8. Richard McBeef

    red floyd Guest

    On Jan 28, 9:21 am, Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, red
    > floyd <> writes
    >
    > >On Jan 28, 8:20 am, Richard McBeef <> wrote:
    > >> What are the opinions in this group
    > >> of this textbook?[link redacted]
    > >> I ask because this was the standard text
    > >> in my university's data structures course about 12
    > >> years ago. The thing is that no-one I have ever
    > >> worked with has heard of it and look down on
    > >> it like it is crap. They went to other schools.
    > >> Anyway, just curious...

    > >And since it's a Java book, you're asking this in a C++ group why?

    > ???
    >
    > According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is
    >
    > "Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
    > Edition) (Hardcover)"
    >
    > which looks like C++ to me.

    I don't follow tinyurl links on usenet.
    red floyd, Jan 29, 2010
  9. On 29/01/2010 00:39, red floyd wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 9:21 am, Richard Herring <junk@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >> According to the Amazon link he posted, its title is
    >>
    >> "Data Abstraction and Problem Solving with C++: Walls and Mirrors (4th
    >> Edition) (Hardcover)"
    >>
    >> which looks like C++ to me.
    >>

    > I don't follow tinyurl links on usenet.

    You can always see where they link before following:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzm7kja
    ^^^^^^^^ just add this

    Phil
    Philip Potter, Jan 29, 2010
  10. Richard McBeef

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Thu, 2010-01-28, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
    > So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
    > learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or [---]

    I've never really read Knuth, but IMHO that's an unusual advice to
    people who haven't touched algorithms and data structures before.
    Like Barbie would say: "Knuth is hard".

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
    Jorgen Grahn, Feb 3, 2010
  11. On 2010-02-03, Jorgen Grahn <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 2010-01-28, Andrew Poelstra wrote:
    >> So I would say wait before you buy it. If you want to
    >> learn data structures try flipping through Knuth or [---]

    > I've never really read Knuth, but IMHO that's an unusual advice to
    > people who haven't touched algorithms and data structures before.
    > Like Barbie would say: "Knuth is hard".
    >
    > /Jorgen

    The first page or so of each data-structure-related section
    gives a theoretical overview of the structure, and I've always
    liked his diagrams.

    It is true that understanding his MIX code and doing his
    exercises are very difficult, though. :)

    Andrew
    Andrew Poelstra, Feb 3, 2010