Opinions

Henry

Mike said:
Hi all,

Please could you give me your opinions on this design? What do you
like/dislike about the layout and feel? It's an enhancement of a post I made
a few weeks ago.

http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia2/index2.html

Cheers,

Richard

No one really touched the REAL subject.

So here I'm.

Rich Media?

Change name of your business into Poor Media.

That static box on your design is nothing like an add for:

poor media,

no skills in GFX

Flash

lack of excitement

poor html/css skills

It looks like the first time fun with Front Page by 10 years old kid.

Keep that way so others will be busy.

BTW. Give me a single reason, why someone would like to use your skills
instead of someone, who used Front Page and can make page like that in
15 minutes and the page will be full screen and fully adjustable with
the browser' with.

That page doesn't look like the work of pro!

It's OK for an poor bussiness which just started and evidently is short

for cash and can't afford a decent web page.

But as and advertising for web design company... sux in a big way.

Since you've asked for opinion.

I wouldn't get my page done by a company with page sample like yours.

;)

dorayme

Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:42:43 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Re: Opinions

Ok thank you good point - exactly the sort I posted it for! Fixed the
background.

Am having trouble with my CSS making my bottom DIV show. Any ideas?

And thoughts on the design in general?

Richard

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Have a look at it in Firefox with a slightly larger text size.

BTW, I love the aqua background color. Oh wait, that is *my* default
showing because you forgot one...

it looks nice at first, but it breaks up terribly at different font-sizes
(smaller and larger browser buttons) on IE and Mozilla on Macs and as
mentioned by Beauregard... personally I like for sites to be able to be seen
at small browser window sizes, without need for sideways scrolling or
opening up wider, yours is not too bad but it has a larger minimum width
than I would like... ideally it should redraw to be less wide and all the
pics and right link heading to move to the left when so doing...

dorayme

Stewart Gordon

Mike said:
Hi all,

Please could you give me your opinions on this design? What do you
like/dislike about the layout and feel? It's an enhancement of a post I made
a few weeks ago.

http://www.nowaysylent.co.uk/richmedia2/index2.html

"richmedia is a professional web design company that has been creating
websites for local businesses since 1998. Experts in HTML, PHP, MySQL
and CSS"

Call yourself "professional" or "experts"? I doubt many people would
want to use your services if they're going to end up with loads of pages
that don't anywhere near validate and look like they ought to have links
on but don't.

Stewart.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Stewart Gordon said:
"richmedia is a professional web design company that has been creating
websites for local businesses since 1998. Experts in HTML, PHP, MySQL and
CSS"

Call yourself "professional" or "experts"? I doubt many people would want
to use your services if they're going to end up with loads of pages that
don't anywhere near validate and look like they ought to have links on but
don't.

Stewart.

Clients who hire others to design their websites generally don't care about
validation. They want a website that looks good to them and provides the
results they're looking for. I challenge you to find a website, of a
multi-million dollar corporation, that validates.

--Tina

Els

Tina said:
Clients who hire others to design their websites generally
don't care about validation. They want a website that
looks good to them and provides the results they're looking
for. I challenge you to find a website, of a multi-million
dollar corporation, that validates.

Q: why a multi-million dollar corporation? Are those the only
companies that let others build their websites?

saz

Clients who hire others to design their websites generally don't care about
validation. They want a website that looks good to them and provides the
results they're looking for. I challenge you to find a website, of a
multi-million dollar corporation, that validates.

--Tina

Hard to believe, but I actually agree with Tina.

After 4 years and over 70 sites, I have only had one client ever ask me
about whether his site will validate, and made that a requirement. All
the rest just want it to look nice and display in all browsers.

Philip Ronan

saz said:
Hard to believe, but I actually agree with Tina.

After 4 years and over 70 sites, I have only had one client ever ask me
about whether his site will validate, and made that a requirement. All
the rest just want it to look nice and display in all browsers.

But surely that's only because they don't know anything about HTML. If I
asked some builders to build me a house I'd assume they'd stick to all the
relevant building standards. In fact I'd take them straight to court if they
didn't >:-(

Joel Shepherd

Els said:
Q: why a multi-million dollar corporation? Are those the only
companies that let others build their websites?

No: I think the assumption is that if anyone can afford to hire the
expertise to create a good-looking, valid website, it is a
"multi-million dollar corporation". Of course, being a big corporation
doesn't imply profitability, or the ability to spend money on any
attractive-sounding initiative that someone might propose, and
corporations of any size may decide that their employees' time and
talent is best spent solving other problems.

On the flip side, a large corporation might well be able to quickly
muster the resources to fix a non-validating site, if it becomes a
priority (for whatever the reason). Many _individuals_ don't have the
same time resources, so (IMO) it behooves them to make a validating site
from the start. They may never have time and energy to go back and fix
it later.

saz

But surely that's only because they don't know anything about HTML. If I
asked some builders to build me a house I'd assume they'd stick to all the
relevant building standards. In fact I'd take them straight to court if they
didn't >:-(
My sites all validate - it's the best way to assure that it will work in
all browsers (minor exceptions, I know), I'm just saying I never get
asked about it.

Stewart Gordon

Tina said:
Clients who hire others to design their websites generally don't care about
validation.

I guess people who hire designers potentially fall into a number of
categories:

- those who don't know HTML
- those who have some knowledge of HTML, but not to the extent that it
occurs to them to validate
- those who are more knowledgeable of HTML and consider standards
compliance and accessibility to be serious issues, but who would still
like the graphic design skills of a designer

OK, so some might say the latter is a contradiction - if you really know
about HTML then you know that HTML isn't designed for graphic design.
But OTOH, some might say the two can go perfectly hand in hand and
that's what CSS is for....

But just imagine someone paying a fortune to a designer and then getting
back at them, "Oy, the site you've made me is tag soup. As a result, I
have received a hundred letters from people complaining that they can't
read my site. That's no good. I want my money back."

But this doesn't really change my point, that if you call yourself
professional then it suggests that you know how to do what you're doing.
And if you call yourself expert then it _means_ you know how to do it.
As such, in this instance it's false advertising and should be removed.
They want a website that looks good to them and provides the
results they're looking for.

Maybe. I guess it boils down to how many clients bother looking for any
results at all in:

- more than one browser
- more than one browser version
- more than one browser configuration
- more than one machine's collection of plugins
- more than one kind of browser (graphical, text, Braille, speech,
whatever else)
- more than one display size/resolution (different resolutions/window
sizes, TV screens, PDAs, mobile phones)
- users who are limited in which devices they can use to interact with
the browser
- search engines
I challenge you to find a website, of a
multi-million dollar corporation, that validates.

Good challenge. No doubt someone'll find one. Or maybe someone here
who works for a multi-million dollar corporation (or a multi-million
pound corporation or a multi-million euro corporation or whatever) and
is reading this'll now go and fix it.

Stewart.

Karl Core

Stewart Gordon said:
Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

Good challenge. No doubt someone'll find one. Or maybe someone here who
works for a multi-million dollar corporation (or a multi-million pound
corporation or a multi-million euro corporation or whatever) and is
reading this'll now go and fix it.

I've already found one - http://www.att.com

Toby Inkster

Tina said:
I challenge you to find a website, of a multi-million dollar
corporation, that validates.

Well, if you're going to issue challenges, Opera ASA has a revenue of
about 4 million USD per quarter. http://www.opera.com/ validates.

So does Hewlett Packard's front page (and associated style sheet).