opinions

deaducky8

Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

Thank you in advance!

wesley

Looks ok, takes way to long to load though. You will discover that html
and css are just the tip of the ice-burg reguarding web dev. start to
have a look at scripting languages such as javascript and php inorder
to really get the feel for web dev. go to www.tizag.com, the tutorials
are very helpful.

Good luck
Wesley

Travis Newbury

deaducky8 said:
Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career..

Why? Web development is boring. It is using simple syntax that even a
boy could learn over a long weekend.

You are young. Think BIG. Study to be a doctor, a scientist, an
archaeologist, a film maker. Web developers are a dime a dozen. Go
make something out of your life.

hywel.jenkins

deaducky8 said:
Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

Thank you in advance!

Follow Travis' advice. Web design doesn't appear to be for you.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Why? Web development is boring. It is using simple syntax that even a
boy could learn over a long weekend.

And don't be a writer either, you learn the language before you
are 5 years old effortlessly without any special tuition. You
might end up writing a big book with simple sentences that any
child could understand. It would have to be boring of course...

Don't do Black and White chemical photography (just in case you
get the urge) because the basics are not hard to learn... easy in
a weekend...

And Euclid, of course, made a bad career move making a living out
of building proofs from very simple materials.... if only you,
Travis, could have redirected him....

Geez Travis!

Travis Newbury

dorayme said:
And don't...
Don't do..
And Euclid, of course, made a bad career move making a living out
of building proofs from very simple materials.... if only you,
Travis, could have redirected him....
Geez Travis!

Sorry you disagree with the girl setting her sights a little higher.
But I guess the world needs ditch diggers too

David Segall

deaducky8 said:
Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
my dreams.
I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
my nose in more books?
The web sites you have designed show your talent for learning about
the things that you can do on a web site. Of course, you should keep
learning about that. I think the web is probably a better place to do
your reading than more books. At the same time you should learn about
the design part of web design. Your sites are a good expression of you
but have a go at designing a site for someone who wants to look
"serious". Once again, I suggest looking at various sites on the web
to see how the designers achieve (or fail to achieve) the impression
they want to give. When you do, please avoid the standard irrelevant
picture of a group of people somberly looking at a notebook computer!

Stan McCann

Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I
want to have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to
get some opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line
of work or pursue my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not
very good) using some of my knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like
it if people would look at them and tell me what they think. Just go
to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should
I stuff my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books
for girls my age?? Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm
joking of course)

Thank you in advance!

You're welcome.

You joked about not reading books, but maybe you should take that
seriously since all HTML/XHTML books that I have looked at all teach,
not HTML or XHTML, but to use a transitional doctype and many
deprecated elements and attributes. I still want to know what people
think they are transitioning from when they are creating brand new
pages.

Read this newsgroup and maybe some others dealing with HTML and CSS.
Get to know the people on these groups; it doesn't take too awfully
long to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who
doesn't. Pay attention to those that you determine know what they are
talking about.

Although I put down the books, there are many out there that could be
helpful if you keep in mind that they are still teaching 1995 style web
development, not 2006.

Looking at only your "sisters" page, you have plenty of forgetting to
do. For instance, forget <div align=center> as the align attribute is
deprecated. Learn to use CSS for layout.

You'll need to learn about graphics. I notice you are using .bmp
files. That is not a file type good for the web; it is a very large
file that would be much smaller if served as .gif, .jpg, or .png
instead. Those are the three graphic file types recommended for usage
on the web.

You said you are young but don't say how young; your school may have
some classes for web development and/or design. But once again, as I
said about the books, some teachers teach just from books so could also
be teaching 1995 methods instead of 2006. Don't argue with your
teacher; just be aware that you may want to do some things differently
than what is taught.

You'll need to learn about scripting. There is both server side and
client side. Some (many?) turn off client side scripting; as people
struggle against spyware, I think more and more people are more
concerned about security and taking steps against it which can include
turning off javascript.

Don't give up, I do think there will be a future (although who knows
what what it'll be like) in web development. Begin with the current
standards, then keep up with the new stuff coming. That doesn't
necessarily mean to immediately embrace every new technology, but be
open to learning about it.

Pursue your dreams.

Chris Beall

deaducky8 said:
Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

Thank you in advance!
deaducky8,

Artistic merit: A- (I'm making some allowance for age here, but not much)
Technical excellence: D-

1. Keep writing. You like it; it shows.
2. Keep reading and NOT just stuff on the web. (But you could take a
peek at http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/TC/index.html).
3. Learn to do websites if you like, but don't limit yourself to that.
You can do anything.

Chris Beall

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, deaducky8 quothed:
Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

If you really _like_ making web pages, you will stick with it no matter
what. Learn the standards by reading ng's like this one, perusing w3c
olio, and studying the markup of pages you admire. Experiment, e.g.
with javascript, php, ssi, etc. By all means learn css well.

As for a career, I don't think so. This is not a judgment of your
expertise but one of the potential of the field in general.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
Sorry you disagree with the girl setting her sights a little higher.
But I guess the world needs ditch diggers too

I don't disagree with girls setting big goals for themselves. I
am a big fan of girls aiming high. I disagree with your
reasoning. There may be good reasoning for your advice, but you
don't give it. Simple tools, easily mastered in their basics,
does not mean the edifices that can be created with them are
simple or boring.

Oh, and another thing: there is all the difference in the world
between a boy "learning" html over a long weekend and learning
(mastering) it.

Please think more carefully before advising girls, old boy!

dorayme

Stan McCann said:
snip

Don't give up, I do think there will be a future (although who knows
what what it'll be like) in web development. Begin with the current
standards, then keep up with the new stuff coming. That doesn't
necessarily mean to immediately embrace every new technology, but be
open to learning about it.

Pursue your dreams.

Well said, Stan!

google

deaducky8 said:
Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

Thank you in advance!

Hello Deaducky,

If you're already thinking about what career you're going to persue
before you actually get the the age where you need one, you're ahead of
the game. Good job!

First, nice work on getting so many sites up and running. Personally, I
think learning the basic concepts of hosting, HTML, FTP and the like
are the tricky part. Once you get past those, then you're well on your
way. You've got those down, so you've got a great foundation.

If you're looking at getting some proffesional-quality work done in the
next year or so, I would start doing some research into what kinds of
things businesses are looking for in a site. The visual aspect is very
important, at least seeming like you understand the technical side of
things is important, and most of all, your communication skills are
important.

To test the waters, find a business who is looking for a cheap web
site. Offer to do it for free if you get a footnote credit at the
bottom of the site. You'll get a feel for the process of the
back-and-forth that working with a client requires, what they expect
from a web site, and if it's really your thing or if you'd rather just
make web sites as a hobby.

I hope that helps. You're off to a great start and I wish you the best
of luck.

Chris S.
Implied By Design LLC.
http://www.impliedbydesign.com
Free Web Design Tools
http://www.impliedbydesign.com/free-software-scripts.html

deaducky8

Geez I didn't mean to start a big debate about it. I just wanted simple
opinions. And how you know about my other job ideas is beyond me, perhaps a
lucky guess, but I only wanted opinions about this one. Photography is a
hobby, but not something I'd make a career out of. Writing stories is fun,
but I'd much rather read them. Could we keep our opinions to the point
please?

Travis Newbury

deaducky8 said:
Geez I didn't mean to start a big debate about it....

Na, you didn't start a big debate, this is how usenet progresses. If
you give it enough time it will turn into a "is flash good or bad"
debate.

It is just the way things progress, it is all good.

dorayme

deaducky8 said:
Geez I didn't mean to start a big debate about it. I just wanted simple
opinions. And how you know about my other job ideas is beyond me, perhaps a
lucky guess, but I only wanted opinions about this one. Photography is a
hobby, but not something I'd make a career out of. Writing stories is fun,
but I'd much rather read them. Could we keep our opinions to the point
please?

What you want and what happens here are two different things. No
debate here is that big, don't worry.

Perhaps "simple opinions" might not be as useful or informative.

What exactly is "the point" that you want us all to keep to?

And if we did, would you do at least one thing in return? Not top
post?

:)