    my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
    Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

    Thank you in advance!

    deaducky8, Feb 28, 2006

  2. deaducky8

    Guest

    Looks ok, takes way to long to load though. You will discover that html
    and css are just the tip of the ice-burg reguarding web dev. start to
    have a look at scripting languages such as javascript and php inorder
    to really get the feel for web dev. go to www.tizag.com, the tutorials
    are very helpful.

    Good luck
    Wesley

    , Feb 28, 2006

  3. deaducky8 wrote:
    > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    > have web design as a career..

    Why? Web development is boring. It is using simple syntax that even a
    boy could learn over a long weekend.

    You are young. Think BIG. Study to be a doctor, a scientist, an
    archaeologist, a film maker. Web developers are a dime a dozen. Go
    make something out of your life.

    Travis Newbury, Feb 28, 2006
  4. deaducky8

    Guest

    deaducky8 wrote:
    > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    > have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
    > opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
    > my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
    > knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
    > tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
    > www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
    > my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
    > Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

    Follow Travis' advice. Web design doesn't appear to be for you.

    --
    Hywel

    , Feb 28, 2006
  5. deaducky8

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > deaducky8 wrote:
    > > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    > > have web design as a career..

    > Why? Web development is boring. It is using simple syntax that even a
    > boy could learn over a long weekend.

    And don't be a writer either, you learn the language before you
    are 5 years old effortlessly without any special tuition. You
    might end up writing a big book with simple sentences that any
    child could understand. It would have to be boring of course...

    Don't do Black and White chemical photography (just in case you
    get the urge) because the basics are not hard to learn... easy in
    a weekend...

    And Euclid, of course, made a bad career move making a living out
    of building proofs from very simple materials.... if only you,
    Travis, could have redirected him....

    Geez Travis!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 28, 2006
  6. dorayme wrote:
    > > Why? Web development is boring. It is using simple syntax that even a
    > > boy could learn over a long weekend.

    > And don't...
    > Don't do..
    > And Euclid, of course, made a bad career move making a living out
    > of building proofs from very simple materials.... if only you,
    > Travis, could have redirected him....
    > Geez Travis!

    Sorry you disagree with the girl setting her sights a little higher.
    But I guess the world needs ditch diggers too

    Travis Newbury, Feb 28, 2006
  7. deaducky8

    David Segall Guest

    "deaducky8" <> wrote:

    >Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    >have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
    >opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
    >my dreams.
    >I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
    >knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
    >tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
    >www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
    >my nose in more books?

    The web sites you have designed show your talent for learning about
    the things that you can do on a web site. Of course, you should keep
    learning about that. I think the web is probably a better place to do
    your reading than more books. At the same time you should learn about
    the design part of web design. Your sites are a good expression of you
    but have a go at designing a site for someone who wants to look
    "serious". Once again, I suggest looking at various sites on the web
    to see how the designers achieve (or fail to achieve) the impression
    they want to give. When you do, please avoid the standard irrelevant
    picture of a group of people somberly looking at a notebook computer!

    David Segall, Feb 28, 2006
  8. deaducky8

    Stan McCann Guest

    "deaducky8" <> wrote in

    > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I
    > want to have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to
    > get some opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line
    > of work or pursue my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not
    > very good) using some of my knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like
    > it if people would look at them and tell me what they think. Just go
    > to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
    > www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should
    > I stuff my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books
    > for girls my age?? Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm
    > joking of course)
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

    You're welcome.

    You joked about not reading books, but maybe you should take that
    seriously since all HTML/XHTML books that I have looked at all teach,
    not HTML or XHTML, but to use a transitional doctype and many
    deprecated elements and attributes. I still want to know what people
    think they are transitioning from when they are creating brand new
    pages.

    Read this newsgroup and maybe some others dealing with HTML and CSS.
    Get to know the people on these groups; it doesn't take too awfully
    long to figure out who knows what they are talking about and who
    doesn't. Pay attention to those that you determine know what they are
    talking about.

    Although I put down the books, there are many out there that could be
    helpful if you keep in mind that they are still teaching 1995 style web
    development, not 2006.

    Looking at only your "sisters" page, you have plenty of forgetting to
    do. For instance, forget <div align=center> as the align attribute is
    deprecated. Learn to use CSS for layout.

    You'll need to learn about graphics. I notice you are using .bmp
    files. That is not a file type good for the web; it is a very large
    file that would be much smaller if served as .gif, .jpg, or .png
    instead. Those are the three graphic file types recommended for usage
    on the web.

    You said you are young but don't say how young; your school may have
    some classes for web development and/or design. But once again, as I
    said about the books, some teachers teach just from books so could also
    be teaching 1995 methods instead of 2006. Don't argue with your
    teacher; just be aware that you may want to do some things differently
    than what is taught.

    You'll need to learn about scripting. There is both server side and
    client side. Some (many?) turn off client side scripting; as people
    struggle against spyware, I think more and more people are more
    concerned about security and taking steps against it which can include
    turning off javascript.

    Don't give up, I do think there will be a future (although who knows
    what what it'll be like) in web development. Begin with the current
    standards, then keep up with the new stuff coming. That doesn't
    necessarily mean to immediately embrace every new technology, but be
    open to learning about it.

    Pursue your dreams.

    --
    Stan McCann, "Uncle Pirate" http://stanmccann.us/
    Webmaster, NMSU at Alamogordo http://alamo.nmsu.edu/

    Stan McCann, Feb 28, 2006
  9. deaducky8

    Chris Beall Guest

    deaducky8 wrote:
    > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    > have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
    > opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
    > my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
    > knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
    > tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
    > www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
    > my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
    > Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

    deaducky8,

    Artistic merit: A- (I'm making some allowance for age here, but not much)
    Technical excellence: D-

    1. Keep writing. You like it; it shows.
    2. Keep reading and NOT just stuff on the web. (But you could take a
    peek at http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/TC/index.html).
    3. Learn to do websites if you like, but don't limit yourself to that.
    You can do anything.

    Chris Beall

    Chris Beall, Feb 28, 2006
  10. deaducky8

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, deaducky8 quothed:

    > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    > have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
    > opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
    > my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
    > knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
    > tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
    > www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
    > my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
    > Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)

    If you really _like_ making web pages, you will stick with it no matter
    what. Learn the standards by reading ng's like this one, perusing w3c
    olio, and studying the markup of pages you admire. Experiment, e.g.
    with javascript, php, ssi, etc. By all means learn css well.

    As for a career, I don't think so. This is not a judgment of your
    expertise but one of the potential of the field in general.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, Feb 28, 2006
  11. deaducky8

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Travis Newbury" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > > Why? Web development is boring. It is using simple syntax that even a
    > > > boy could learn over a long weekend.

    > > And don't...
    > > Don't do..
    > > And Euclid, of course, made a bad career move making a living out
    > > of building proofs from very simple materials.... if only you,
    > > Travis, could have redirected him....
    > > Geez Travis!

    > Sorry you disagree with the girl setting her sights a little higher.
    > But I guess the world needs ditch diggers too

    I don't disagree with girls setting big goals for themselves. I
    am a big fan of girls aiming high. I disagree with your
    reasoning. There may be good reasoning for your advice, but you
    don't give it. Simple tools, easily mastered in their basics,
    does not mean the edifices that can be created with them are
    simple or boring.

    Oh, and another thing: there is all the difference in the world
    between a boy "learning" html over a long weekend and learning
    (mastering) it.

    Please think more carefully before advising girls, old boy!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 28, 2006
  12. deaducky8

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns97786F2734DFEstanmccann@216.234.192.142>,
    Stan McCann <> wrote:

    > "deaducky8" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I
    > > want to have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to
    > > get some opinions of whether I should

    snip

    > Don't give up, I do think there will be a future (although who knows
    > what what it'll be like) in web development. Begin with the current
    > standards, then keep up with the new stuff coming. That doesn't
    > necessarily mean to immediately embrace every new technology, but be
    > open to learning about it.
    >
    > Pursue your dreams.

    Well said, Stan!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Feb 28, 2006
  13. deaducky8

    Guest

    deaducky8 wrote:
    > Hullo to everyone out there. I'm still young but when I get older I want to
    > have web design as a career.. The reason of this post is to get some
    > opinions of whether I should start thinking of a new line of work or pursue
    > my dreams. I've made a few websites (they're not very good) using some of my
    > knowledge of HTML and CSS and I'd like it if people would look at them and
    > tell me what they think. Just go to: www.freewebs.com/the_three_sisters/ or
    > www.freewebs.com/jessiduckysgrafix/ and reply what you think. Should I stuff
    > my nose in more books? Should I start reading other books for girls my age??
    > Should I stop reading books in general??? (I'm joking of course)
    >
    > Thank you in advance!

    Hello Deaducky,

    If you're already thinking about what career you're going to persue
    before you actually get the the age where you need one, you're ahead of
    the game. Good job!

    First, nice work on getting so many sites up and running. Personally, I
    think learning the basic concepts of hosting, HTML, FTP and the like
    are the tricky part. Once you get past those, then you're well on your
    way. You've got those down, so you've got a great foundation.

    If you're looking at getting some proffesional-quality work done in the
    next year or so, I would start doing some research into what kinds of
    things businesses are looking for in a site. The visual aspect is very
    important, at least seeming like you understand the technical side of
    things is important, and most of all, your communication skills are
    important.

    To test the waters, find a business who is looking for a cheap web
    site. Offer to do it for free if you get a footnote credit at the
    bottom of the site. You'll get a feel for the process of the
    back-and-forth that working with a client requires, what they expect
    from a web site, and if it's really your thing or if you'd rather just
    make web sites as a hobby.

    I hope that helps. You're off to a great start and I wish you the best
    of luck.

    Chris S.
    Implied By Design LLC.
    http://www.impliedbydesign.com
    Free Web Design Tools
    http://www.impliedbydesign.com/free-software-scripts.html

    , Mar 1, 2006
  14. deaducky8

    deaducky8 Guest

    Geez I didn't mean to start a big debate about it. I just wanted simple
    opinions. And how you know about my other job ideas is beyond me, perhaps a
    lucky guess, but I only wanted opinions about this one. Photography is a
    hobby, but not something I'd make a career out of. Writing stories is fun,
    but I'd much rather read them. Could we keep our opinions to the point
    please?

    deaducky8, Mar 1, 2006
  15. deaducky8 wrote:
    > Geez I didn't mean to start a big debate about it....

    Na, you didn't start a big debate, this is how usenet progresses. If
    you give it enough time it will turn into a "is flash good or bad"
    debate.

    It is just the way things progress, it is all good.

    Travis Newbury, Mar 2, 2006
  16. deaducky8

    deaducky8 Guest

    I think you've given me the best answer, so far. Thank you!

    deaducky8, Mar 4, 2006
  17. deaducky8

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <R4cNf.5770$>,
    "deaducky8" <> wrote:

    > Geez I didn't mean to start a big debate about it. I just wanted simple
    > opinions. And how you know about my other job ideas is beyond me, perhaps a
    > lucky guess, but I only wanted opinions about this one. Photography is a
    > hobby, but not something I'd make a career out of. Writing stories is fun,
    > but I'd much rather read them. Could we keep our opinions to the point
    > please?

    What you want and what happens here are two different things. No
    debate here is that big, don't worry.

    Perhaps "simple opinions" might not be as useful or informative.

    What exactly is "the point" that you want us all to keep to?

    And if we did, would you do at least one thing in return? Not top
    post?

    :)

    --
    dorayme