Optimising performance of Perl binary

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Neil Griffin, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Neil Griffin

    Neil Griffin Guest

    Hi,
    currently we are hosting a Perl 5.6.1 based Intranet application on a
    Sun 6x750MHz v880/Solaris 8 (64bit) server. The application performs a lot
    of CGI/DBI (Oracle DBD) interactions apart from the required 'business'
    processing. To try and improve the perfomance of this application after a
    recent upgrade, I am looking at recompiling Perl and associated modules with
    more agressive optimising and targeting of the platform. The developers are
    also attempting to squeeze more cycles out of the application.

    Originally the Perl was compiled with gcc 2.95.3 on a Sun Ultra 1/Solaris 8
    (32bit) with the default optimisation. I am recompiling with Sun Forte v7 on
    an UltraSparc II/Solaris 8 (64bit) server

    My questions are:

    1. Am I going to gain any performance compiling as a 64bit app, or should I
    stick with 32bit. The O/S and Oracle are 64bit.

    2. Are there any performance advantages moving to Perl 5.8? I read mixed
    reports on this.

    3. I am looking at using the Sun compiler options of -fast -xtarget=ultra3.
    Are there any others that I should consider (safe) with Perl? The
    appropriate spec.org reports indicate a number of other switches.

    4. Are there any advantages using third party (malloc) libraries like
    SmartHeap?

    5. Are there any other compilation/configuration issues I should consider?

    TIA

    Neil Griffin, Sep 14, 2003

  2. Neil Griffin

    Ron Reidy Guest

    On my servers, I have Perl compiled for max optimization. I have had
    not problems with Perl running in this matter.

    On the Oracle side, you should have your developers ensure all preapre()
    calls are using '{ora_check_sql => 0}'. Without this, each SQL
    statement will be described and then parsed (double parsing) which will
    eat up a lot of CPU on an active server.

    --
    Ron Reidy
    Oracle DBA

    Ron Reidy, Sep 14, 2003