    back to tag names.

    I suspect this function is already available and described by a w3c
    standard...just can't see it for looking.

    Simon, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Simon

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <>,
    (Simon) writes:
    > Is there utility/function that you can use to provide lookup values
    > for the tags defined in a DTD?
    >
    > The problem lots of good tag names that are used to describe small
    > data items is causing some grief by bloating the data to be
    > transmitted. As GSM is being used at 9.6K it hurts when the tags bloat
    > the transmitted data

    Just use conventional compression - e.g. gzip - and it will tokenise out
    repetitive patterns (such as your tags) to the point where they have
    a negligible effect.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick Kew, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Simon

    Ed Day Guest

    (Simon) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I suspect this function is already available and described by a w3c
    > standard...just can't see it for looking.

    The fact is, the W3C currently does not have any standards for
    anything like this. The Binary-XML working group is looking into ways
    of optimizing XML for binary transmission, but this is still in the
    initial stages.

    Ed Day
    Objective Systems, Inc.

    Ed Day, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    (Ed Day) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Simon) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > I suspect this function is already available and described by a w3c
    > > standard...just can't see it for looking.

    > The fact is, the W3C currently does not have any standards for
    > anything like this. The Binary-XML working group is looking into ways
    > of optimizing XML for binary transmission, but this is still in the
    > initial stages.
    >
    > Ed Day
    > Objective Systems, Inc.

    Thanks Nick and Ed.
    As it happens I'm already doing an in-store compress using zlib and
    sure it helps but there are lots of very different tag strings rather
    than lots of repetition.
    I'll keep and eye on the Binary-XML work group. I think I can
    implement something in the short term using hashing algorithms, but
    would have proffered to use a standard.
    Simon

    Simon, Aug 12, 2004