Options for generic full-text search without using database-specific full-text engine?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Samuel R. Neff, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. What options are available for doing full-text searches of database
    data without using a database-specific full-text engine?

    The only option I've found is Google's Search Appliance but it's an
    expensive hardware solution and we prefer a software solution.

    In the past I've used development languages that had OEM Verity
    support which was wonderful but as far as I can tell the only
    out-of-the-box search available in ASP.NET is Index Server which
    indexes only documents, not database content. I also didn't see
    anything available retail from Verity.

    DotLucene also seems to be only for documents, although I'm sure we
    could write some middleware to extract database data and serve it up
    to DotLucene as a document (which is basically what Google's appliance
    does). We could to the same thing using Index Server, it's just a lot
    of hassle.

    Other options?

    The reason we're looking for a database-agnostic approach is the
    application is currently written for Sybase but we're hoping to switch
    it to MSSQL in the future and also would ideally like to be able to
    reuse this module with our Oracle based applications.

    Thanks,

    Sam
    Samuel R. Neff, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Sam,

    Why not abstract out what you need the database to do, and then write a
    general framework around that? Basically, have an interface which will
    perform the search, or call to the database (in the implementation). Then,
    when you migrate, you don't have to change your code, you just have to
    substitute the implementation of that interface to something MSSQL specific.

    This way, you can write the part of the engine which will take the
    results from the database and then send them off to whatever application you
    need.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    - Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP]
    -

    Nicholas Paldino [.NET/C# MVP], Jun 10, 2005

  3. Samuel R. Neff

    bradley Guest

    Have you considered storing your text seperately from the database in .txt
    files? The file naming convention could be based on the primary key ID of
    the record that would normally contain the text column. Once done, you
    choice of search indexing methods is more flexible.

    bradley, Jun 10, 2005