Options for looping through children with different element names

johkar

Assume XML parent element has lots of children that are all unique
element names. Is the only way to loop through them to use a wildcard
(*) for the element name in the for-each or apply-templates call? I
am looking for efficiency because I am going to have to do this many
times in the XSLT and there could be hundreds of child element names
for any given parent element. Note, I don't have control over the XML
tree structure.

Xpath: /category/businesstype/*

<category>
<businesstype>
<specialty>Some text</specialty>
<bigbox>Some text></bigbox>
<internetonly>Some text</internetonly>
...many many more nodes
</businesstype>
</category>

Any pointers appreciated.

Martin Honnen

johkar said:
Assume XML parent element has lots of children that are all unique
element names. Is the only way to loop through them to use a wildcard
(*) for the element name in the for-each or apply-templates call? I
am looking for efficiency because I am going to have to do this many
times in the XSLT and there could be hundreds of child element names
for any given parent element. Note, I don't have control over the XML
tree structure.

Xpath: /category/businesstype/*

<category>
<businesstype>
<specialty>Some text</specialty>
<bigbox>Some text></bigbox>
<internetonly>Some text</internetonly>
...many many more nodes
</businesstype>
</category>

I don't see any problem with using * if you want to process all element
child nodes.
If you prefer you can name each element (type) explicitly e.g. in 2.0
you can do
<xsl:template match="businesstype">
<xsl:apply-templates select="speciality, bigbox, internetonly"/>
</xsl:template>
or in 1.0 (and of course 2.0) you can do e.g.
<xsl:template match="businesstype">
<xsl:apply-templates select="speciality | bigbox | internetonly"/>
</xsl:template>
You would need to test which version performs better with the XSLT
processor of your choice.

johkar

--

        Martin Honnen