    script into something that can be easily installed and executed in
    Windows on a PC without installing Perl?

    thanks,

    dan baker, Oct 17, 2004

  2. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    Abigail <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > You're looking for PAR.
    >-------------------

    ok, great, what and where is "PAR"?

    dan baker, Oct 18, 2004

  3. dan baker

    Thomas Kratz Guest

    Thomas Kratz, Oct 18, 2004
  4. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    Thomas Kratz <> wrote in message news:<cl0p27$rq8$>...
    > dan baker wrote:
    > > Abigail <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >
    > >>You're looking for PAR.
    > >>-------------------

    > > ok, great, what and where is "PAR"?

    > Didn't it occur to you that it could be a module?
    > -----------------

    wow, what a passive-aggressive bunch! excuse me for not being a mind
    reader. I suppose PAR could be a module, or some third party software,
    or some acronym for something I hesitate to guess at.

    doesn't occur to YOU that something like "check the PAR module
    available on CPAN.org" would have demonstrated knowledge AND good
    manners?

    Now that I've poked around a little more.... any further comments on
    the useability of pp versus perl2exe versus other choices?

    dan baker, Oct 19, 2004
  5. dan baker

    Jim Keenan Guest

    dan baker wrote:
    > Thomas Kratz <> wrote in message news:<cl0p27$rq8$>...
    >
    >>dan baker wrote:

    >>>ok, great, what and where is "PAR"?

    >>Didn't it occur to you that it could be a module?
    >>-----------------

    > wow, what a passive-aggressive bunch! excuse me for not being a mind
    > reader. I suppose PAR could be a module, or some third party software,
    > or some acronym for something I hesitate to guess at.

    Googling "Perl PAR" got me the answer right away.

    Jim Keenan, Oct 19, 2004
  6. dan baker <> wrote:

    > wow, what a passive-aggressive bunch! excuse me for not being a mind
    > reader.

    Excuse me for never reading any more of your posts.

    *plonk*

    > doesn't occur to YOU that something like

    typing "perl PAR" into the little box at www.google.com finds it
    just fine.

    Do you want us to hold your hand?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Oct 19, 2004
  7. dan baker

    J. Romano Guest

    (dan baker) wrote in message news:<>...

    > any ideas on free/cheap software to allow my to "compile"
    > a simple script into something that can be easily installed
    > and executed in Windows on a PC without installing Perl?

    Dear Dan,

    I've needed to do the same thing on several occasions. Creating a
    stand-alone executable allows Win32 users who haven't installed Perl
    (or who are unable to install Perl for some obscure reason that you
    can't figure out because their computer system lies several states
    away) to run your Perl script as if Perl were correctly installed on
    their systems.

    To create a stand-along executable for Win32, I recommend you try
    the PAR module with ActiveState Perl.

    To use it, you first need ActiveState ActivePerl for Win32. You
    can download it at http://www.activestate.com/ . Once you have
    downloaded and installed ActivePerl, you can easily install the PAR
    module using ActiveState's ppm installer by typing (at a shell
    prompt):

    ppm install PAR

    This should download and install the "pp.bat" executable, which will
    allow you to convert a Perl script (for example, one named
    "myscript.pl") to a stand-alone executable (for example, one named
    "myscript.exe") with a command like:

    pp myscript.pl -o myscript.exe

    Note: if it complains that the Module::ScanDeps module is missing,
    you can install it with the shell command:

    ppm install Module-ScanDeps

    Also note that the resulting executable will be extremely large in
    size... about 1.5 Megabytes for just a simple little Perl script!
    This is due in part because so much of Perl functionality has to be
    included in the executable, whether you think you need it or not. As
    a side-effect, the stand-alone executable runs just about as fast as
    invoking the perl interpreter on your Perl script. In other words,
    don't think that just because the executable no longer depends on
    perl.exe it will all of a sudden run much faster.

    So you may not get the benefits of speed and efficiency by
    converting your Perl script into a stand-alone executable, but at
    least you'll be able to distribute your program to Win32 users who are
    unable (or too lazy) to install Perl on their machines.

    (And please don't be upset by the brevity of the other responses
    posted by other regulars of this newsgroup. Quite a lot of questions
    are posted to this newsgroup, and if every response was as detailed as
    the one I just gave you, few people would ever get responses. So it's
    common to see just a minimal response to a problem, and nothing more
    than what was asked. If you want more advice, sometimes you need to
    be more specific as to what you're looking for, even if that means
    posting another question to the newsgroup.)

    I hope this helps, Dan.

    -- Jean-Luc

    J. Romano, Oct 19, 2004
  8. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    Tad McClellan <> wrote in message

    > typing "perl PAR" into the little box at www.google.com finds it
    > just fine.
    >
    > Do you want us to hold your hand?

    ----------------

    I dont need hand-holding, but I do appreciate polite and complete
    answers that dont require additional fishing around to figure out what
    they are about. With 5 more seconds of effort the original response
    would have been help, complete, and friendly without requiring an
    additional google to figure it out.

    I'd like to think that this group is to get/give answers as
    efficiently as possible, not create mysteries crafted as personal
    growth projects.

    It continues to amaze me that some of the arguably most knowledgable
    posters in this newsgroup spend more energy flaming people for
    ignorance than they do composing reasonable responses.

    dan baker, Oct 19, 2004
  9. dan baker

    Uri Guttman Guest

    db> Tad McClellan <> wrote in message
    >> typing "perl PAR" into the little box at www.google.com finds it
    >> just fine.
    >>
    >> Do you want us to hold your hand?

    db> ----------------

    db> I dont need hand-holding, but I do appreciate polite and complete
    db> answers that dont require additional fishing around to figure out what
    db> they are about. With 5 more seconds of effort the original response
    db> would have been help, complete, and friendly without requiring an
    db> additional google to figure it out.

    that is called hand holding. with 5 seconds of google searching you
    would have found plenty on PAR. but you want hundreds of others to do
    your work for you and then you complain about not having your hand
    held. how sweet!

    db> I'd like to think that this group is to get/give answers as
    db> efficiently as possible, not create mysteries crafted as personal
    db> growth projects.

    we like to think of it not as a help desk but as a perl discussion
    group. what you think about it doesn't matter. and what is the mystery
    when you are directly given the answer? oh, that you don't get spoon
    fed. sorry, your mother doesn't know enough perl for that.

    db> It continues to amaze me that some of the arguably most
    db> knowledgable posters in this newsgroup spend more energy flaming
    db> people for ignorance than they do composing reasonable responses.

    ignorance is fully accepted here. laziness and wanting their work done
    for them is not. learn the difference.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 19, 2004
  10. dan baker

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Uri Guttman <> wrote in

    > ignorance is fully accepted here. laziness and wanting their work done
    > for them is not. learn the difference.

    s/laziness/false laziness/;

    True Laziness is the virtue of reducing the amount of work you have to do
    by reducing the amount of work *everyone* has to do. False Laziness is the
    vice of reducing (or trying to reduce) the amount of work you have to do by
    shifting the burden to everyone else. True Laziness turns Your Problems
    into Non-Problems; false laziness turns Your Problems into Other People's
    Problems.

    Eric Bohlman, Oct 19, 2004
  11. dan baker

    Uri Guttman Guest

    EB> Uri Guttman <> wrote in

    >> ignorance is fully accepted here. laziness and wanting their work done
    >> for them is not. learn the difference.

    EB> s/laziness/false laziness/;

    EB> True Laziness is the virtue of reducing the amount of work you
    EB> have to do by reducing the amount of work *everyone* has to do.
    EB> False Laziness is the vice of reducing (or trying to reduce) the
    EB> amount of work you have to do by shifting the burden to everyone
    EB> else. True Laziness turns Your Problems into Non-Problems; false
    EB> laziness turns Your Problems into Other People's Problems.

    yep. but i think the OP won't care either way.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 19, 2004
  12. dan baker <> wrote:
    > Tad McClellan <> wrote in message
    >
    >> typing "perl PAR" into the little box at www.google.com finds it
    >> just fine.
    >>
    >> Do you want us to hold your hand?

    > ----------------
    >
    > I dont need hand-holding,

    Yet here you are insisting on hand-holding!

    > but I do appreciate polite and complete
    > answers that dont require additional fishing around to figure out what
    > they are about. With 5 more seconds of effort the original response
    > would have been help, complete, and friendly without requiring an
    > additional google to figure it out.

    And we appreciate polite posters who do not object to spending
    5 seconds of *their* time at Google.

    > I'd like to think that this group is to get/give answers as
    > efficiently as possible, not create mysteries crafted as personal
    > growth projects.

    Learning how to fish is more valuable than being given a fish.

    > It continues to amaze me that some of the arguably most knowledgable
    > posters in this newsgroup spend more energy flaming people for
    > ignorance than they do composing reasonable responses.

    It continues to amaze me that some of the arguably least knowledgable
    posters in this newsgroup spend more energy flaming people for
    answering their question than they do Googling.

    Tad McClellan, Oct 19, 2004
  13. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    Now THIS is a truely killer response. actually answered more than I
    needed to know, and threw in comments about the actual usability of
    the solution which I found enlightening. Anyone reading this post
    later has a lot more information to work with and some idea of the
    potential pitfalls.

    All I really needed to know was that there is a module PAR on CPAN.org
    that includes a pp utility. It was informative to know that the
    results are generally quite large... I may re-think my distribution
    plan to several clients and just run the backup utility from MY
    computer.

    Thank you J. Romano.

    You have renewed my faith that there are people in this group capable
    of demonstrating not only knowledge, but are interested in giving
    complete and thoughtful answers.

    dan baker, Oct 20, 2004
  14. dan baker

    Uri Guttman Guest

    db> You have renewed my faith that there are people in this group capable
    db> of demonstrating not only knowledge, but are interested in giving
    db> complete and thoughtful answers.

    and you have renewed my faith in that there will always be those who
    need hand holding and then whine about it.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 20, 2004
  15. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > db> You have renewed my faith that there are people in this group capable
    > db> of demonstrating not only knowledge, but are interested in giving
    > db> complete and thoughtful answers.
    >
    > and you have renewed my faith in that there will always be those who
    > need hand holding and then whine about it.
    >
    > uri

    ------------------

    didn't your mother ever teach you to keep your mouth shut if you dont
    have anything nice (or helpful) to say?

    dan baker, Oct 20, 2004
  16. dan baker

    Uri Guttman Guest

    db> Uri Guttman <> wrote in message news:<>...

    >> and you have renewed my faith in that there will always be those who
    >> need hand holding and then whine about it.
    >>
    >> uri

    db> ------------------

    db> didn't your mother ever teach you to keep your mouth shut if you dont
    db> have anything nice (or helpful) to say?

    pot. kettle. black.

    at least i help others here with perl stuff and don't whine.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Oct 20, 2004
  17. dan baker <> wrote:

    >> db> You have renewed my faith that there are people in this group capable
    >> db> of demonstrating not only knowledge, but are interested in giving
    >> db> complete and thoughtful answers.
    >>
    >> and you have renewed my faith in that there will always be those who
    >> need hand holding and then whine about it.
    >>
    >> uri

    > ------------------
    >

    > didn't your mother ever teach you to keep your mouth shut if you dont
    > have anything nice (or helpful) to say?

    Where is the nice or helpful part in *your* followup, huh?

    Tad McClellan, Oct 20, 2004
  18. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    Tad McClellan <> wrote in message
    > > didn't your mother ever teach you to keep your mouth shut if you dont
    > > have anything nice (or helpful) to say?

    > Where is the nice or helpful part in *your* followup, huh?

    -----------------

    in that I am attempting to clue you guys into acceptable public
    behavior. You might get a lot further in life and have more friends.

    dan baker, Oct 21, 2004
  19. dan baker

    Uri Guttman Guest

    db> Tad McClellan <> wrote in message
    >> > didn't your mother ever teach you to keep your mouth shut if you dont
    >> > have anything nice (or helpful) to say?

    >> Where is the nice or helpful part in *your* followup, huh?

    db> -----------------

    db> in that I am attempting to clue you guys into acceptable public
    db> behavior. You might get a lot further in life and have more friends.

    you are so wise in the ways of good behavior! i will fly to your side
    and sit at your feet absorbing such nuggets of wisdom. do you teach perl
    as well as life lessons? can you handle the hordes of acolytes you so
    richly deserve? can i be your friend too?

    uri

    ps. tad IS a friend of mine. we have broken bread and code together. so
    we each have at least one friend. does that count?

    Uri Guttman, Oct 21, 2004
  20. dan baker

    David Combs Guest

    In article <>,
    Alan J. Flavell <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, A. Sinan Unur wrote:
    >
    >> (dan baker) apparently wrote something in

    >> @posting.google.com:
    >>
    >> Thank you for providing me with an opportunity to plonk someone.

    >It already worked for me. Maybe you should try it more often ;-)

    Geez, guys -- isn't that being just a bit rough?

    (that is, assuming that "plonk" means to kill-list someone;
    [due to technical reasons due being on vacation and having
    to use wife's pc win2k hyperterminal to connect to my shell
    acct, instead of my sun back home, can't get lynx to run
    due to screen-screwup, thus can't google plonk -- sorry
    ] )

    , just because he asked what PAR was, he got a somewhat high-handed
    response -- and it escalated, small piece by small piece, from
    there.

    Well, let me back off a bit: you guys sure donate a *huge* amount
    of time and brainpower to clpm, day after day after day -- so I guess
    we mostly-lurkers here got to cut you some slack for a once-in-a-while
    quick, angry response -- esp after an hours-long session of
    answering all these posts!

    So, from a mostly-lurker, THANK YOU ALL for all the work
    you put into this group!

    David

    PS: just wondering -- when you *do* "plonk" someone,
    is that like a death penalty (ie, permanent,
    never removed), or is the general practice
    to, every so often, to let them out -- but
    on parole?

    D.

    David Combs, Nov 14, 2004