optparse docs

tobiah

In
http://docs.python.org/lib/optparse-terminology.html

The GNU project introduced "-" followed by a series of hyphen-separated
words, e.g. "-file" or "-dry-run". These are the only two option
syntaxes provided by optparse.

And later:

Some other option syntaxes that the world has seen include:

* a hyphen followed by a few letters, e.g. "-pf" (this is not the
same as multiple options merged into a single argument)

* a hyphen followed by a whole word, e.g. "-file" (this is
technically equivalent to the previous syntax, but they aren't usually
seen in the same program)

So my question is whether the first 'GNU' version, was not meant to be
--file, and --dry-run?

Thanks,

Toby

Matthew Woodcraft

tobiah said:
In
http://docs.python.org/lib/optparse-terminology.html

The GNU project introduced "-" followed by a series of hyphen-separated
words, e.g. "-file" or "-dry-run". These are the only two option
syntaxes provided by optparse.
[...]

So my question is whether the first 'GNU' version, was not meant to be
--file, and --dry-run?

It is, and it's right in the documentation source. This is apparently a
problem with the conversion from LaTeX to html.

-M-