% or em in Flexible Layout?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Andrew, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi,

    I would be grateful for an answer to a question about flexible layout
    for the following site:

    http://www.pnc.com.au/~plstrong/strongs/index.html

    The main content had margins set as:

    #content
    margin: 0em 4% 0em 12.5em;

    in my belief that this would give a flexible right border to the main
    content. The W3C Validator spat the dummy at this as it mixed fixed
    and relative values, a warning rather than failing the CSS ('this is
    not a robust stylesheet'). So I altered the CSS to the current:

    #content
    margin: 0em /*4%*/ 2em 0em 12.5em;

    and the effect of flexibile design at all screen resolutions remains +
    W3C validator is happier.Is it actually the body margin rules that
    maintain this flexible design rather than my ignorant use of the %??

    Thanks for anybody who can clear this up for me!

    Andrew.
    --

    Andrew
    http://people.aapt.net.au/~adjlstrong/
    Andrew, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Andrew

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > The W3C Validator spat the dummy at this

    The W3C CSS validator isn't particularly impressive.

    In general, pretty much all of its warnings may be safely ignored,
    provided you "know what you're doing" and you've chosen that code
    deliberately. It assumes a very dumb level of understanding by the
    developer.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 28, 2006

  3. Andrew

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, Andrew <sorry.no.email@post_NG.com>
    vouchsafed:

    > Thanks for anybody who can clear this up for me!

    Try:

    line-height:2;

    Then try:

    line-height:2.0;