Oracle 10 perl and ppm

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Cloink_Friggson@ntlworld.com, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    As a follow up to
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_thread/thread/4380b443fdde977d

    I have had to resort to using the Oracle-supplied version of Perl
    because Oracle "no longer provide [something-or-other] for free" (from
    aspn somewhere). Basically, there is no DBD for Oracle any more, not
    with the latest version of Perl. Ok. I'm not arguing politics, I don't
    agree with it, but it's as I must do. It's not worth the effort
    sounding off about Oracle, they're too big and they'll do what they do.

    I also want to use Perl with MySQL, but the Ora-perl doesn't come with
    ppm to let me ppm install DBD::mysql.

    Before my pc's hard disk went belly up, and with slightly older
    versions of all three, I had Perl/Ora/MySQL all running sweetly with
    each other, I just changed the connection string in my Perl script and
    connected to my MySQL db instead of my Ora one.

    I've found a .gz link for ppm - but I'm on Windows (no comments please,
    I get those from my Linux-is-god mate). So I don't know what to do with
    a .gz file.

    Before I found out about Ora's annoying protection of their DBD code
    (or whatever it may be they don't want us to see/get for free) I had my
    self-installed Perl alongside Ora-installed Perl and got the
    Perl lib version (v5.6.1) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.6)
    mismatch error, as per Vig in the original thread.

    I'm not a techie. This is not my 'bag'. I'm a software developer and
    find all this configuration business frustrating and, no disrespect to
    those who enjoy it, rather tedious.

    So. The q's. Please answer the q's directly - I just want simple
    answers for a simple boy, not a minefield of other possibilities. TIA.

    1.
    What's the easiest way to get/install ppm in a Windows perl environment
    lacking it? Preferably without having to download yet more stuff to
    cope with a .gz file.

    2.
    Actually there isn't another q - thought there was! But if there are
    simple answers to these: I *need* - no questions - *need* the latest
    versions of Perl/Ora. As far as I can tell, the only way to get the
    latest Ora DBD is to use the Perl that ships with Ora. (i) Is it? (ii)
    I don't see any way to run diff installations of Perl depending on my
    choice of db. Is it possible to switch perl installations without
    having to change my path whenever I need to switch? (Again, I know
    Unix-perl reads your script shebang line to tell it where the exe is -
    I'm on Windows and not about to change - and anyway, I wouldn't want
    two versions of every script either.)

    3.
    Ah. Can I just nick the ora-dbd from my ora install and put it in my
    self-installed Perl directory? I'd hazard a guess not, but I'll give it
    a whizz...

    4. (I'm on a roll now..)
    taken the view Perl needed this, but does that mean Ora creates
    PERL5LIB in your registry, not Perl? So Perl doesn't use it?

    Many thanks to anyone who can help me.
    Cheers,
    Clark (aka Cloink)

    P.S. I'm new to Google groups too. I've now posted this message two
    different ways... I rather expected to see a 'Post topic reply'-type
    option, but all
    I could see was 'Reply to author'. Please advise what I should've done
    if I haven't done the right thing. I've now started a new topic
    (obviously).
    , Sep 23, 2005

    Re: Oracle 10 perl, ppm and TNS/Listener

    Ok, soz y'all. Just in case anyone is actually reading this...

    You *can* do
    ppm install DBD-Oracle
    ...and it pulls it from a source somewhere inside Oracle's vast empire.

    However, I'm currently of the thinking that it (the Ora DBD) doesn't
    provide for non-TNS connectability. Certainly a script that previously
    connected without the Listener running won't any more, I have to change
    the connection string AND have the Listener running.

    Anyone know if there's a way to ditch TNS with Ora 10.2 and the latest
    release of the DBD?

    For more details, see my asktom thread:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:9919585756889693449

    Cheers.

    , Sep 24, 2005

  3. Randy Kobes Guest

    wrote:
    > As a follow up to
    > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_thread/thread/4380b443fdde977d
    >
    > I have had to resort to using the Oracle-supplied version of Perl
    > because Oracle "no longer provide [something-or-other] for free" (from
    > aspn somewhere). Basically, there is no DBD for Oracle any more, not
    > with the latest version of Perl. Ok. I'm not arguing politics, I don't
    > agree with it, but it's as I must do. It's not worth the effort
    > sounding off about Oracle, they're too big and they'll do what they do.
    >
    > I also want to use Perl with MySQL, but the Ora-perl doesn't come with
    > ppm to let me ppm install DBD::mysql.

    [ ... ]
    > So. The q's. Please answer the q's directly - I just want simple
    > answers for a simple boy, not a minefield of other possibilities. TIA.
    >
    > 1.
    > What's the easiest way to get/install ppm in a Windows perl environment
    > lacking it? Preferably without having to download yet more stuff to
    > cope with a .gz file.

    There is an older (version 2) PPM package on CPAN:
    http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/PPM
    that you can use. Unfortunately, you'll have to
    go through some steps to install it -
    - download the .tar.gz file and unpack it (recent
    versions of WinZip can do this);
    - obtain the 'nmake' utility from
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe
    Double click on this executable to extract the contents,
    and place the appropriate files somewhere in your PATH
    environment variable;
    - in a command prompt window, change into the PPM source
    directory, and give the commands
    perl Makefile.PL
    nmake
    nmake install
    which will install the modules and associated 'ppm'
    script.

    --
    best regards,
    randy kobes