Oracle 10 perl and ppm

Cloink_Friggson

As a follow up to
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_thread/thread/4380b443fdde977d

I have had to resort to using the Oracle-supplied version of Perl
because Oracle "no longer provide [something-or-other] for free" (from
aspn somewhere). Basically, there is no DBD for Oracle any more, not
with the latest version of Perl. Ok. I'm not arguing politics, I don't
agree with it, but it's as I must do. It's not worth the effort
sounding off about Oracle, they're too big and they'll do what they do.

I also want to use Perl with MySQL, but the Ora-perl doesn't come with
ppm to let me ppm install DBD::mysql.

Before my pc's hard disk went belly up, and with slightly older
versions of all three, I had Perl/Ora/MySQL all running sweetly with
each other, I just changed the connection string in my Perl script and
connected to my MySQL db instead of my Ora one.

I've found a .gz link for ppm - but I'm on Windows (no comments please,
I get those from my Linux-is-god mate). So I don't know what to do with
a .gz file.

Before I found out about Ora's annoying protection of their DBD code
(or whatever it may be they don't want us to see/get for free) I had my
self-installed Perl alongside Ora-installed Perl and got the
Perl lib version (v5.6.1) doesn't match executable version (v5.8.6)
mismatch error, as per Vig in the original thread.

I'm not a techie. This is not my 'bag'. I'm a software developer and
find all this configuration business frustrating and, no disrespect to
those who enjoy it, rather tedious.

So. The q's. Please answer the q's directly - I just want simple
answers for a simple boy, not a minefield of other possibilities. TIA.

1.
What's the easiest way to get/install ppm in a Windows perl environment
lacking it? Preferably without having to download yet more stuff to
cope with a .gz file.

2.
Actually there isn't another q - thought there was! But if there are
simple answers to these: I *need* - no questions - *need* the latest
versions of Perl/Ora. As far as I can tell, the only way to get the
latest Ora DBD is to use the Perl that ships with Ora. (i) Is it? (ii)
I don't see any way to run diff installations of Perl depending on my
choice of db. Is it possible to switch perl installations without
having to change my path whenever I need to switch? (Again, I know
Unix-perl reads your script shebang line to tell it where the exe is -
I'm on Windows and not about to change - and anyway, I wouldn't want
two versions of every script either.)

3.
Ah. Can I just nick the ora-dbd from my ora install and put it in my
self-installed Perl directory? I'd hazard a guess not, but I'll give it
a whizz...

4. (I'm on a roll now..)
taken the view Perl needed this, but does that mean Ora creates
PERL5LIB in your registry, not Perl? So Perl doesn't use it?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me.
Cheers,
Clark (aka Cloink)

P.S. I'm new to Google groups too. I've now posted this message two
different ways... I rather expected to see a 'Post topic reply'-type
option, but all
I could see was 'Reply to author'. Please advise what I should've done
if I haven't done the right thing. I've now started a new topic
(obviously).

Cloink_Friggson

Ok, soz y'all. Just in case anyone is actually reading this...

You *can* do
ppm install DBD-Oracle
...and it pulls it from a source somewhere inside Oracle's vast empire.

However, I'm currently of the thinking that it (the Ora DBD) doesn't
provide for non-TNS connectability. Certainly a script that previously
connected without the Listener running won't any more, I have to change
the connection string AND have the Listener running.

Anyone know if there's a way to ditch TNS with Ora 10.2 and the latest
release of the DBD?

For more details, see my asktom thread:
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:9919585756889693449

Cheers.

[...]

Randy Kobes

As a follow up to
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_thread/thread/4380b443fdde977d

I have had to resort to using the Oracle-supplied version of Perl
because Oracle "no longer provide [something-or-other] for free" (from
aspn somewhere). Basically, there is no DBD for Oracle any more, not
with the latest version of Perl. Ok. I'm not arguing politics, I don't
agree with it, but it's as I must do. It's not worth the effort
sounding off about Oracle, they're too big and they'll do what they do.

I also want to use Perl with MySQL, but the Ora-perl doesn't come with
ppm to let me ppm install DBD::mysql.
[ ... ]
So. The q's. Please answer the q's directly - I just want simple
answers for a simple boy, not a minefield of other possibilities. TIA.

1.
What's the easiest way to get/install ppm in a Windows perl environment
lacking it? Preferably without having to download yet more stuff to
cope with a .gz file.

There is an older (version 2) PPM package on CPAN:
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/PPM
that you can use. Unfortunately, you'll have to
go through some steps to install it -
- download the .tar.gz file and unpack it (recent
versions of WinZip can do this);
- obtain the 'nmake' utility from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe
Double click on this executable to extract the contents,
and place the appropriate files somewhere in your PATH
environment variable;
- in a command prompt window, change into the PPM source
directory, and give the commands
perl Makefile.PL
nmake
nmake install
which will install the modules and associated 'ppm'
script.