Oracle Adapter For Rails -- About When?

Matt Bowen

I recently read a posting by DaveH who said that an Oracle adapter for Rails
was being worked on and would be available soon. Just curious about when
that might be. We're an Oracle shop and it would be great to apply Rails to
some of our existing systems rather than diddling with MySQL and SQLite on
the side. Of course, I'm not suggesting that these aren't great databases,
just not adopted/used in our environment. Thanks.

- Matt Bowen
(e-mail address removed)

raymond capozzi

Good news. A patch was recently submitted for oracle:
http://dev.rubyonrails.com/ticket/564

I'd suggest at least reading the comments on some of the limitation on the
adapter. Some suggestions have already been posted. I am unsure if the
implementation allows for the recycle of prepared statements. I also don't
know the implication to using hints. Maybe a 'add_hints' method is needed,
as some shops still use them. . . not me . . .of course.