Oracle - cannot ROLLBACK in a distributed tran

Guest

I have tested a procedure in TOAD and it functions as expected, meaning for
this particular transaction it returns and error message and performs a
rollback within the procedure.

When I call this stored procedure from within ASP.Net with the same data,
The procedure returns an error which is caught by my try-catch block and it
provides the following message...""Detail Error Message: ORA-02074: cannot
ROLLBACK in a distributed transaction\nORA-06512: at
\"PRG_OPS.TST_PRG_ADMIN_UPDATES\", line 424\nORA-06512: at line 1"". I
expected it to terminate normally and that I would be able to read my return
parameters to determine that the procedure had failed and I would be able to
retrieve my error message.

Does this message mean that I must control commits and rollbacks in my
program with a "Begin Transaction" type of logic? I can not issue a rollback
within my stored procedure? If so, does this mean I have to take the
rollbacks out of my stored procedures?